What we learned:

Mickey

Here are a few of the lessons learned from the first game:

As it turns out, if you have a lousy line and throw a lot, you don't score and if you have a lousy line and run a lot, you still don't score.

Chris V. knows how to hold just as well as Ruben Brown.

Maybe, just maybe we should have kept Steve Christie or paid Mike Hollis the money he was asking for because having a reliable kicker matters which is something the Bills, of all the teams in the NFL, should know.

You have to go long every once in awhile. Even if when the play shouldn't work, on occasion it does like when a DB tries to pick it when he should just bat it away or when you get an interference call.

A defense that proves through an entire year that it can't stop people when the game is on the line will likely do the same thing the following year.

>>>You have to go long every once in awhile. Even if when the play shouldn't work, on occasion it does like when a DB tries to pick it when he should just bat it away or when you get an interference call.<<<

This is 100% true. There was NO reason not to send Evans deep at least once. I like what I see of MM, but he is a rookie and will learn.

Also, aside from the penalty, I thought CV palyed a decent game. It is true... The Bills finally have a professional level RG! Even Big Mike played OK, as did Teague.

Truthfully, I am numb. It was always SO easy to explain a Bills loss, but the usual culprits (the OL) did reasonably well, or at least OK. The picture is still cloudy, but I am thinking that the problem yesterday was a vanilla game plan.

>>>You have to go long every once in awhile. Even if when the play shouldn't work, on occasion it does like when a DB tries to pick it when he should just bat it away or when you get an interference call.<<<

This is 100% true. There was NO reason not to send Evans deep at least once. I like what I see of MM, but he is a rookie and will learn.

Also, aside from the penalty, I thought CV palyed a decent game. It is true... The Bills finally have a professional level RG! Even Big Mike played OK, as did Teague.

Truthfully, I am numb. It was always SO easy to explain a Bills loss, but the usual culprits (the OL) did reasonably well, or at least OK. The picture is still cloudy, but I am thinking that the problem yesterday was a vanilla game plan.

28477[/snapback]

A vanilla game plan and a number of negative plays from some of your core players you depend on ( Moulds,Clements,Fletcher ) .

Very true. It was especially painful to see idiocy from Fletcher, because from where I sat, he played a great game. Even the DL, which failed to produce sacks, was applying pressure, which is almost as good.

I am not as upset as the posters in the other thread.....yet. I am going to write it off as a rookie head coach playing a tad too conservatively, and keep my fingers crossed that he has what it takes to motivate the talent that is on this football team.

Oh, and am I sure I would be this calm if I was actually AT this game?

No, not at all. ;)<_<

As it turns out, if you have a lousy line and throw a lot, you don't score and if you have a lousy line and run a lot, you still don't score.

28475[/snapback]

Blaming the OL is the easy way out. They played a heck of a lot betting than some are giving them credit for.

One missed 42 yard field goal and one red zone fumble lost. THAT is what cost the game. We should have had 10 more points.

Blaming the OL is the easy way out.  They played a heck of a lot betting than some are giving them credit for.

One missed 42 yard field goal and one red zone fumble lost. THAT is what cost the game.  We should have had 10 more points.

28588[/snapback]

Believe it or not, I agree. As I stated in an earlier post, the OL, while not stunningly great, played as if they knew what they were doing, and it was nice to not see a Bills QB practically killed on every play.

I am starting to actually believe that McNally can make a decent OL out of this bunch, and THAT is saying a whole lot.

Blaming the OL is the easy way out.  They played a heck of a lot betting than some are giving them credit for.

One missed 42 yard field goal and one red zone fumble lost. THAT is what cost the game.  We should have had 10 more points.

28588[/snapback]

I disagree on the line. That line couldn't punch it in from the 3, why should we assume they would have gone on to score a TD had Moulds not fumbled? Had he not fumbled, it would have been 3rd and 2 from the 7. Villarial also had a false start penalty. We lost 7 on a reverse to Reed that killed our first poss. and we lost 5 on a simple off tackle play that killed our second poss. Henry had just lost two yards up the gut on the play before we threw that ill fated lateral pass to Moulds. The holding call on Villarial was a killer. So was the inability to punch it in from the 3. The game plan put very little pressure on the O-line as it used only very short throws. All in all, the O-line wasn't blindingly bad but when they had to assert themselves, they didn't. Better than last year? Doesn't matter, same result=no points.

Wake up Buffalo!!. We are only losing 5 yards instead of 8 on a screen when Henry goes the wrong way and there was no hole on another play Henry ran the wrong way so we only lost 3 yards and had to punt !! Sounds like we are on the brink of not being inept on offense!!! Henry gained 1 yard 5 times, Had no gain twice, lost yardage 6 times ( Including the broken play causing bledsoe to take a 3 yard loss). Willis had no gain on his first carry and then got at least 2 yards every other carry. Yep sounds like the O- line and Bledsoe must be all of the problem!!! When 13 plays in a game that you are responsible for go for 1 yard or worse maybe just maybe you might have something to do with it. Maybe just maybe Buffalo should give Willis a chance to see if it is really the O-Line and Bledsoe!

A vanilla game plan and a number of negative plays from some of your core players you depend on ( Moulds,Clements,Fletcher ) .

28479[/snapback]

I agree with the negative play but to say that the offense was vanilla is just not true. That was some innovative play calling going on out there. A great example is the double screen they ran to McGahee for the first down. That is one of the most difficult plays in football to execute. Bledsoe faked the screen to the right, spun and threw left. Lineman pulling in both directions. That is ANYTHING but vanilla.

I agree with the negative play but to say that the offense was vanilla is just not true. That was some innovative play calling going on out there. A great example is the double screen they ran to McGahee for the first down. That is one of the most difficult plays in football to execute. Bledsoe faked the screen to the right, spun and threw left. Lineman pulling in both directions. That is ANYTHING but vanilla.

29336[/snapback]

Point taken, but how about a downfield pass to Evans? He does have the speed, and Drew does have the arm. I am NOT calling for a return to the Gilbride idiocy, but stretching the field is a good thing too.

Note that the only TD came on a downfield pass.

28588[/snapback]

You forgot not being able to punch it in from the 2 when it was 1st and goal, Valari's penalty and Clement's brain freeze as causes for the loss. These happened when the game was on the line and can not be ignored.

I still can't believe we didn't score a touchdown from the freakin TWO YARD LINE! I'm sorry, I'm just not as appologetic as some here.

One last thing...please put McGahee in, not Henry, on goal line offense.

Point taken, but how about a downfield pass to Evans? He does have the speed, and Drew does have the arm. I am NOT calling for a return to the Gilbride idiocy, but stretching the field is a good thing too.

Note that the only TD came on a downfield pass.

29349[/snapback]

It was a totally blown coverage. Moulds went in motion from right to left and at the snap ran a shallow pattern in the flat running towards the sideline. The other reciever on that side ran a pattern to the middle and two defenders went with him. Moulds than turned up field running along the sideline. Drew immediately saw the screw up and sent a nice, easy floater to him right on the money for an easy catch. You could see Drew almost jump out of his pads before he let the ball go he was so excited that he had a guy that open.

Guest Don Luce

Here's what we learned:

this team is not a playoff team

other lessons:

they lost to a team at home that had lost 9 straight road games

their opponents are not considered a strong contender

the Bills have a rookie coach who will have to learn on the job

the OL is a work in progress

the kicker is a work in progress

the QB is a salvage operation with a million excuses

many people here will still consider this team a contender!

what a sad situation

P.S. Tom Donahoe is now 17-32 as Bills GM

many people here still think he is a top GM in the league

what a sad situation

Here's what we learned:

this team is not a playoff team

other lessons:

they lost to a team at home that had lost 9 straight road games

their opponents are not considered a strong contender

the Bills have a rookie coach who will have to learn on the job

the OL is a work in progress

the kicker is a work in progress

the QB is a salvage operation with a million excuses

many people here will still consider this team a contender!

what a sad situation

P.S. Tom Donahoe is now 17-32 as Bills GM

many people here still think he is a top GM in the league

what a sad situation

29465[/snapback]

Then go on and cry, you crybaby. Bust on the Jags all you want but they are just as much a contender as the Broncos, Chiefs, Jets, Titans, Ravens and anyone else not named the Patriots (who are locks to be good). The Jags have one hell of a defense and a playmaker in the making a la McNair. If what you think you learned was that the Bills lost to a bad team then you need to go back to school.

It was a totally blown coverage.  Moulds went in motion from right to left and at the snap ran a shallow pattern in the flat running towards the sideline.  The other reciever on that side ran a pattern to the middle and two defenders went with him.  Moulds than turned up field running along the sideline.  Drew immediately saw the screw up and sent a nice, easy floater to him right on the money for an easy catch.  You could see Drew almost jump out of his pads before he let the ball go he was so excited that he had a guy that open.

29407[/snapback]

You are totally right ( :doh: ) Mick, I saw the play. It still worked, blown coverage or not!

My point is that while I DO want the team to play a sane, non-Gilbride offense, I do NOT want them to foresake downfield throws. We have Moulds who can go deep, and Evans with his blinding speed.

MM is a rookie. He will learn, imo.