• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion, a 2nd and 3rd plus the cap space is giving up too much for

an already solid defense.

403074[/snapback]

We are assuming our defense is solid. I am still skeptical that we can replace Pat Williams prescence that easily with what we have in place. I think there is a fairly good chance that the whole defense suffers from his loss, to a degree. As important as an O-line is to a defense, strength up the middle is just as vital to a defense.

The truth is, though, Andeson is untested/unknown and Edwards seems competant, but is that enough to keep our D-line dominant? I wouldn't trade for Simon, if it meant not being able to resign Clements (an illogical conclusion that many here seem to be drawing), but I think he is worth a 3rd round pick. Remember how lousy a reputation that Ted Washington had before coming to Buffalo? Corey Simon is a better player at this point, than Washington was at that point.

We are assuming our defense is solid. I am still skeptical that we can replace Pat Williams prescence that easily with what we have in place.  I think there is a fairly good chance that the whole defense suffers from his loss, to a degree.  As important as an O-line is to a defense, strength up the middle is just as vital to a defense.

The truth is, though, Andeson is untested/unknown and Edwards seems competant, but is that enough to keep our D-line dominant?  I wouldn't trade for Simon, if it meant not being able to resign Clements (an illogical conclusion that many here seem to be drawing), but I think he is worth a 3rd round pick.  Remember how lousy a reputation that Ted Washington had before coming to Buffalo?  Corey Simon is a better player at this point, than Washington was at that point.

403209[/snapback]

You really think so? I think that if the Bills picked up Simon, it would be a tacit admission that they don't think they could hang on to Clements. We don't know the conversations. One thing I'll give the NFL, they are usually better at OPSEC than the DoD. How many times have we been surprised?

Then again, we're all probably collectively pretty stupid, too.

Simon is a jump the gap guy (i.e., a guesser) rather than a space clogger a'la SA.  I don't see him as Adams eventual replacement--two different kinds of players.

I don't like DT's that try to guess on gaps.  They'll look great when they guess right but put themselves out of the play when they're wrong.  Fat Pat would do a lot of this when he got tired (see the Pittsburgh game), opening big holes to run through.

Give me two DTs to protect LF and force everything to the outside...I like that scheme a lot better.

403175[/snapback]

I haven't inspected the tape to try to analyze if a particular players or players were continually he culprits in giving up running yards against Pitts as my sense is that this analysis is probably pretty hard to do as the nature of the zone blitz is that run stopping responsibility on a particular play does not add up at all to what the depths chart says as far as who os manning a particular position.

Just beciuse a particular player is listed at a particular positions (lets say Kelsay at LT) does not mean that a run over the left side means Kelsay is at fault.

1, You have to make sure on that particular play that in fact Kelsay is in and not back-up LT Denney.

2. If Denney is in is he replacing Kelsay or are we going with one of the three DE line-ups we used enough last year that Phat Pat took less than 2/3 or the D snaps.

3. Denney might be in at DT or alternately he could be used in out zone-blitz actually in pass prtoection so he falls off the line into the short zone and thus has no run stopping duty.

4. The OLB Posey actually plays a lot right up on the DL where he sometimes also drops back into pass coverage if he makes that read or has run stopping responsiblity so perhaps he is the main cause of giving up run yards and that actually his problem was not failure to tackle but making bad read and dropping back instead of staying at the point of attack.

This is only the beginning of figuring out who may be at fault and why.

As i have begun thinking back to the Pitts game and wondering why we gave up so much yardage to a scrub, I actually am thinking now that the problem may actually have been that Dick LeBeau actually schooled the Pitts RBs or players about making good fakes in their stances or first moves that fooled the Bills into making bad reads which through the run-blitz off in terms of stopping the run.

Who better to pull this off than the developer of the run-blitz and architect the year before of the Bills application of the run blitz. I'm thinking now that if one is looking for blame for this, it begins with the players who simply must play the game so they deserve both the primary credit for good performance and primary blame for mistakes.

However, the coaches play an inmportant role in that it is their job to put the players into the best position for them to make good plays. it may be that neither Gray nor Krumrie did this in the game and may not have made the changes necessary to combat LeBeau schooling the Pitts RBs into fooling the Bills to make the wrong reads.

This guy doesn't seem to have much of an upside.  I'd rather have a hard working Edwards or Anderson that a lazy fat-ass with more skill. 

We should keep Nate at all costs and try to extend McGee.

403234[/snapback]

I still don't understand why we haven't signed a Japanese Sumo champion to LT.

Think about it.

I still don't understand why we haven't signed a Japanese Sumo champion to LT.

Think about it.

403242[/snapback]

I would normally agree, but I could foresee a situation where Willis would refuse to sweep left because he doesn't want to see a big old pimply Japanese ass in a thong.

I would normally agree, but I could foresee a situation where Willis would refuse to sweep left because he doesn't want to see a big old pimply Japanese ass in a thong.

403249[/snapback]

A good Yokozuna would be worth it. Willis will get over it. I've seen a big pimply ass in a thong too, but she gave a great massage in Kobe.

Actually, I'd rather see a couple as DT's, and with the cap savings get a real OLT.

How many more years do you all think Adams is going to play?  How many with the Bills?  I think not more than 1 or 2, tops.  Corey Simon, when healthy and on top of his game, is close to unblockable - in the Marcus Stroud mold.  Putting him next to Adams for a year would make our line nearly impossible to run up the gut on, and teams would have a ton of trouble accounging for our passrush.  We already use a ton of blitzes to overload the line - now imagine what it would be like with a line of Schobel, Simon, Adams, and Kelsay, plus our linebacking crew and the occasional Milloy/Clements blitz.  It would be, in a word, a massacre. 

Give me the top D in the League over the top O any day - especially a Sunday in January.  I just can't complain about this move if it happens, and the rumor sure as hell excites me.

403144[/snapback]

Great post. How do people think 3/4 of Philly's DB's made it to the Pro Bowl? Does anyone remember the 1st play from scrimmage against the Eagles 2 years ago? That was Simon who picked up Puccillo and threw him on top of Bledsoe. The best physical play on D I've ever seen in my life. This guy is a beast and I'd give a 1st for him.

A good Yokozuna would be worth it. Willis will get over it. I've seen a big pimply ass in a thong too, but she gave a great massage in Kobe.

Actually, I'd rather see a couple as DT's, and with the cap savings get a real OLT.

403255[/snapback]

Kobe, my kinda town. ;) with lots of great piano/jazz bars BTW.

I am betting that if TD is serious about this trade that he is looking for some serious cap concessions by the Eagles. One thing is for sure, he is not likely to pull the trigger too soon.

Great post. How do people think 3/4 of Philly's DB's made it to the Pro Bowl? Does anyone remember the 1st play from scrimmage against the Eagles 2 years ago? That was Simon who picked up Puccillo and threw him on top of Bledsoe. The best physical play on D I've ever seen in my life. This guy is a beast and I'd give a 1st for him.

403259[/snapback]

You could have picked up Puccillo and thown him in the backfield.... ;)

403259[/snapback]

I recall the "Rag Doll" play vividly and on that day had to look back at our roster to see if Pucillo was listed at more than 230 pounds- it was the kind of play that can change a game because to keep your QBs head in it you're now relegated to doubling Simon every down and you cripple any chance to offer help on the edges.

absolutely.  this trade (the 2 and 3 for simon) is a no-brainer as people WILL go up the middle on us with our current roster.  i have no idea if it will cost us clements, but that is the only downside i can see to it.

403277[/snapback]

That could be a significant downside.

it must be done, I already have added him to my Madden 06 team.

Adams isn't getting any younger, and I am not quite sold on Anderson.

I like edwards, but I don't like the future being edwards and Anderson.

next years draft class for DT is weak like this years was, a 2nd round and a late 3rd (if ours) is well worth the best DL on the eagles team.

Simon reminds me of a younger version of Williams....not williams when he was younger but williams at his peak, but younger.

it must be done, I already have added him to my Madden 06 team.

Adams isn't getting any younger, and I am not quite sold on Anderson.

I like edwards, but I don't like the future being edwards and Anderson.

next years draft class for DT is weak like this years was, a 2nd round and a late 3rd (if ours) is well worth the best DL on the eagles team.

Simon reminds me of a younger version of Williams....not williams when he was younger but williams at his peak, but younger.

403293[/snapback]

Cool.

You already have Madden '06?