Zhitnik to Isles

Comment from Regier in tonights Buffalo News....

"Your preference always is to get a free agent for as cheap as you can and not lose anything in return, but at the end of the day whether we find something that works through free agency or a trade, I'll be OK with either one."

With his "get 'em as cheap as you can" way of thinking, everybody is scooping up the best players, while Darcy can definitely get sloppy seconds "as cheap as he wants".

Islanders fan here - this seems like a downgrade for the Isles. I know of Zhitnik in passing but I'm not real familiar with him whereas Aucoin has been a rock for the Isles for the last couple of years, a real workhorse who logs a lot of ice time. I can't believe he signed with the friggin' Blackhawks!!!!! ;)

So what's the Sabres fan take on Zhitnik? It seems like you guys are pissed at the Sabres for being cheap but is this a big loss? I would of thought that losing Satan would have been a bigger deal.

...everybody is scooping up the best players, while Darcy can definitely get sloppy seconds "as cheap as he wants".

396770[/snapback]

Of the guys that signed today, who would we have wanted other than Aucoin?

Given all the bellyaching I've seen on TSW and other MBs today, you'd swear the Sabres had passed on signing Gretzky, Lemieux and Messier in their primes. A lot of nervous nellies running around all of a sudden. ;)

Of the guys that signed today, who would we have wanted other than Aucoin? 

Given all the bellyaching I've seen on TSW and other MBs today, you'd swear the Sabres had passed on signing Gretzky, Lemieux and Messier in their primes.  A lot of nervous nellies running around all of a sudden. ;)

396796[/snapback]

That's the point...the Sabres should have been hot after Aucoin. As far as other players, how about Zhitnik or Foote?

Have you taken a look at the Sabres blueliners recently? :devil:

Islanders fan here - this seems like a downgrade for the Isles. I know of Zhitnik in passing but I'm not real familiar with him whereas Aucoin has been a rock for the Isles for the last couple of years, a real workhorse who logs a lot of ice time. I can't believe he signed with the friggin' Blackhawks!!!!! ;)

So what's the Sabres fan take on Zhitnik? It seems like you guys are pissed at the Sabres for being cheap but is this a big loss? I would of thought that losing Satan would have been a bigger deal.

396795[/snapback]

I'm a Sabres fan and I look at Zhitnik as a bigger loss than Satan. Zhitnik logs a ton of ice and seems to skate better as the game wears on. IMHO, one of the best skaters in the league.

The Sabres could afford the loss of Satan since they have a glut of forwards. Satan is a good player but can be streaky. The rationale behind not signing him was to have more money to go after defense. Now they lose Zhitnik and the best D men are already snapped up.

hhhmmm... lets see...the new rules call for defensemen who can bring the puck up, pass well, and stickhandle...and we let one of the better ones ones like that go.

im sure the sabes have plans, but you look at philly gathering another all star team and wonder what has changed....

That's the point...the Sabres should have been hot after Aucoin.  As far as other players, how about Zhitnik or Foote?

Have you taken a look at the Sabres blueliners recently? ;)

396801[/snapback]

I agree the defense needs reinforecements. That said, I would not want Foote (injury prone, slow) or Z (time to turn the page).

Gonchar's the only "name" player left that might be a possibility (I'm totally discounting that the Sabres have a shot at Niedermayer).

This is exactly what Zhitnik is:

A real workhorse who logs a lot of ice time. He changed sticks a couple years ago and he can get the puck on the net now. He plays on the power play, kills penalties. He was the Sabres defensemen with, by far, the most ice time. He even cut way down on his mistakes and if he gets ticked off, he can be a big hitter.

This one hurts more than letting Satan go. Defense is the Sabres biggest need and they just let their best defensemen go. $3.5 million a season is less than the Sabres offered him before the lockout and the Sabres saved $3.8 million by letting Satan go and they told Zhitnik he was not wanted here. Did we get anyone to replace Zhitnik? Hell no. Maybe Richard Smhelik will be available in Spetember.

If Regier even has a plan, it really sucks so far.

This is exactly what Zhitnik is:

A real workhorse who logs a lot of ice time. He changed sticks a couple years ago and he can get the puck on the net now. He plays on the power play, kills penalties. He was the Sabres defensemen with, by far, the most ice time. He even cut way down on his mistakes and if he gets ticked off, he can be a big hitter.

This one hurts more than letting Satan go. Defense is the Sabres biggest need and they just let their best defensemen go. $3.5 million a season is less than the Sabres offered him before the lockout and the Sabres saved $3.8 million by letting Satan go and they told Zhitnik he was not wanted here. Did we get anyone to replace Zhitnik? Hell no. Maybe Richard Smhelik will be available in Spetember.

If Regier even has a plan, it really sucks so far.

396884[/snapback]

I could not say it better.

The Sabres lost their most talented defenseman who logs the ice time of at least two players.

396795[/snapback]

Well said. Satan is the bigger loss. I never liked Alexi. I always looked at him is overrated and outmatched. Good riddens.

Gonchar's the only "name" player left that might be a possibility (I'm totally discounting that the Sabres have a shot at Niedermayer).

396829[/snapback]

Gonchar suffered a serious concussion while playing overseas last year. That's why the Bruins haven't resigned him.