Jerry Garcia

August 9th will mark the tenth anniversary of Jerry's death.  Today would have been his 63rd B-day.

395964[/snapback]

Damn.....oops :) oh well I guess we know who has seen to many shows huh :doh:

Thanks for correction......Please table this post until August 9th.

Happy Birthday Jerry :)

Phish sucks, Jerry's Dead, get a job.

395966[/snapback]

Phish rocked, Jerry is immortal, and you have little to no life at all.

I love the message board mentality.

My last grateful dead Show was 8/2/1993 was the last Dead show I saw with Jerry in Detroit.

My last grateful dead Show was 8/2/1993 was the last Dead show I saw with Jerry in Detroit.

396446[/snapback]

6/10/93 at Rich was mine. I happened to be in SF when Jerry died, actually. I was standing at Pier 39 the night before he died, looking out at Marin, and for some reason I thought about him. And I'm not a huge Deadhead or anything, just a fan. Then the next morning I woke up and checked AOL (it was ten years ago) and there was the news. Drove down to San Mateo to get some new tires on my truck and the first song that came on my tape deck was "Uncle John's Band."

Come along or go alone

He's come to take his children home

I just about lost it there. Later that day we went up to the Haight and milled around a bit. Then went to GG Park and I saw a car parked with paint on its rear window that read: "Love Is Real Not Fade Away: JG RIP."

As a guitar player I just don't understand the attraction of Jerry and The Dead. Some of my fringe friends liked them when I was growing up and I just couldn't get it. Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Beck, Blackmore, Lowell George I got.

They play very basic music. Trust me, it's basic. I'd be generous if I said their singing is barely on key. When they try harmony I cringe. I'll give you this though. They sure could play a long long time without taking a break. A friggin long time. I wonder how they did that?

Jerry did a lot with nine and a half fingers. He had a hard life on top of it. This many years after his death. I still don't know if he's more grateful to be dead than I am.

As a guitar player I just don't understand the attraction of Jerry and The Dead. 

396465[/snapback]

For me anyway, it was always about the exchange of energy that happens at places like a Dead or Phish show. Anyone who has been to one knows what I'm talking about. It is something you either get or you don't. I feel for those who can't grab it, it truly is something special.

They play very basic music.  Trust me, it's basic.  I'd be generous if I said their singing is barely on key.  When they try harmony I cringe.  I'll give you this though.  They sure could play a long long time without taking a break. A friggin long time.  I wonder how they did that?.

396465[/snapback]

It's not nearly as basic as you think. In SOME of the songs (likely the ones you've heard on your local radio station) the song structures themselves were "simple" but they used a read and react improvisational approach most of the time in performing their songs where the guitar runs would reach outside the standard pentatonic playing of say Clapton, and move into relative keys and modes like Jazz, only with a rock based feel. Jerry also often used a chordal outlining approach in some solos, much like a keyboardist or a banjo player, creating a very melodic feel. In these cases the band would react to his lead by supplementing alternate chords or voicings as they went.

I've been to only 4 or 5 dead shows and had a blast at all of them. The earlier post about the exchange of Energy is spot on.

Plus, I had one heck of a time experimenting with things that made me hallucinate. It was 10 years ago, deal with it.

T-R

As a guitar player I just don't understand the attraction of Jerry and The Dead.  Some of my fringe friends liked them when I was growing up and I just couldn't get it.  Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Beck, Blackmore, Lowell George I got.

They play very basic music.  Trust me, it's basic.  I'd be generous if I said their singing is barely on key.  When they try harmony I cringe.  I'll give you this though.  They sure could play a long long time without taking a break. A friggin long time.  I wonder how they did that?

Jerry did a lot with nine and a half fingers.  He had a hard life on top of it.  This many years after his death.  I still don't know if he's more grateful to be dead than I am.

396465[/snapback]

Garcia was an important part of many folks' life. One of my sisters is not stone-gone gaga, but Elvis means a lot to her - part of her teen years.

I don't know much about Garcia, only that numerous valued friends were moved by his accomplishments.

Nothing wrong with that. Good memories are just what they are. :D

It's not nearly as basic as you think. In SOME of the songs (likely the ones you've heard on your local radio station) the song structures themselves were "simple" but they used a read and react  improvisational approach most of the time in performing their songs where the guitar runs would reach outside the standard pentatonic playing of say Clapton, and move into relative keys and modes like Jazz, only with a rock based feel. Jerry also often used a chordal outlining approach in some solos, much like a keyboardist or a banjo player, creating a very melodic feel. In these cases the band would react to his lead by supplementing alternate chords or voicings as they went.

396492[/snapback]

Arrows of neon and flashing marquees out on main street.

Chicago, new york, detroit and it’s all on the same street.

Your typical city involved in a typical daydream

Hang it up and see what tomorrow brings.

Not as easy a boogie style tune as some might think, either. I've seen the GD a couple times, WAY back when...but I don't remember much.