Jerry Gray

Saw an amazing statistic on NFL Total Access today. In 2004 in the 3rd quarter, the Bills outscored their opponents 80 to 12. They didn't give a single touchdown and only 4 field goals all year. I believe some people have criticized Jerry Gray in the past, but this is simpy remarkable. It shows the guy made the proper adjustments and was able to shut their opposing offense down. My question is what is everyone's opinion on Jerry Gray?

Saw an amazing statistic on NFL Total Access today.  In 2004, the Bills outscored their opponents 80 to 12.  They didn't give a single touchdown and only 4 field goals all year.  I believe some people have criticized Jerry Gray in the past, but this is simpy remarkable.  It shows the guy made the proper adjustments and was able to shut their opposing offense down.  My question is what is everyone's opinion on Jerry Gray?

395895[/snapback]

If the stats you cite are true, I would say that the 2004 Buffalo Bills had the greatest defense ever, and the most pathetic offense ever....I would not be looking forward to watching them play in 2005...the average score would have been Buffalo 5, Oppenent .75 They really need to make some new rules that encourage some scoring!

:doh:

The actual "stat" is that the Bills defense gave up only 4 FG's ALL season in the 3rd Quarter! Hense. the margin in the composite for the entire season in the third quarter was 80-12! It is an amazing feat and I'm hoping that the first quarter this year is their most dominant quarter, if you know what I mean!! (Early leads would be nice!)

The actual "stat" is that the Bills defense gave up only 4 FG's ALL season! Hense. the margin in the composite for the entire season in the third quarter was 80-12! It is an amazing feat and I'm hoping that the first quarter this year is their most dominant quarter, if you know what I mean!! (Early leads would be nice!)

395905[/snapback]

thank you.......at least I could understand that post

Take it easy boss, I made a mistake.  But the question is what's your opinion of Jerry Gray?  Is he a great coach or is it the talent?  Or maybe a combination of both?

395910[/snapback]

Didn't mean to be rude....my bad....I absolutely think he is a great coach....Every year he seems to get more out of his players and I love the fact that he blitzed more last year......with our speed at LB we need to do that...thus creating a boat load of turnovers!!!

sorry bout that... i met in the 3rd quarter they out scored their opponents 80 to 12... it's getting late

395908[/snapback]

No need to apologize. I got it the first time. What was so hard about understanding the statement "In 2004, in the 3rd quarter, the Bills outscored their opponents 80 to 12".

What a bunch of knuckleheads.

I think Gray's a punk.

This is why. He was extremely vocal about wanting to be a HC in the NFL from the moment when he arrived in that tsunami wave of talent that GW brought to OBD five years ago.

The guy is quite competent at his craft, I'll give him that. However, that alone doesn't distinguish him above the previous two Defensive Coordinators that were here. Call me spoiled, but I thought TC was more imaginative and WP IMHO was the best.

My issue with Gray is ONLY that he's not grooming a successor. For someone so vocal from the get-go that he wants out of here or there or anywhere that isn't a HC position my question is this: Who is he grooming as his successor? :doh:

He splits at the end of this season - remember he would have bolted for the SU job - and he'll raid the cupboard. You can't blame the guy for wanting a shot at a top job, but is he grooming coaching talent as well as player talent? I don't see it. But then again I'm watching from afar.

Krumrie AND Gray could be gone after this year. They'll be hot properties if the D makes as much noise as we seem to think it will. What then? Another new DC with a different philosophy would likely take at least one step back. (Remember when the resident genius and his wizard mentor arrived and the 3-4 went into the terlitt? Same song, different verse.)

Not to worry though. I hear that Tom Olivadotti is still looking for work. :)

I think Gray's a punk.

This is why. He was extremely vocal about wanting to be a HC in the NFL from the moment when he arrived in that tsunami wave of talent that GW brought to OBD five years ago.

The guy is quite competent at his craft, I'll give him that. However, that alone doesn't distinguish him above the previous two Defensive Coordinators that were here. Call me spoiled, but I thought TC was more imaginative and WP IMHO was the best.

My issue with Gray is ONLY that he's not grooming a successor. For someone so vocal from the get-go that he wants out of here or there or anywhere that isn't a HC position my question is this: Who is he grooming as his successor?  :doh:

He splits at the end of this season - remember he would have bolted for the SU job - and he'll raid the cupboard. You can't blame the guy for wanting a shot at a top job, but is he grooming coaching talent as well as player talent? I don't see it. But then again I'm watching from afar.

Krumrie AND Gray could be gone after this year. They'll be hot properties if the D makes as much noise as we seem to think it will. What then? Another new DC with a different philosophy would likely take at least one step back. (Remember when the resident genius and his wizard mentor arrived and the 3-4 went into the terlitt? Same song, different verse.)

Not to worry though. I hear that Tom Olivadotti is still looking for work.  :)

395947[/snapback]

Gray's a punk for wanting a HC job? Well Cotrell also wanted one, as did Marvin Lewis, Jim Fox, Jack Del Rio, Romeo Crennell, and just about every DC in the league.

Gray's job isn't to groom a successor, and the Bills could easily retain Krumrie by promoting him if they want to.

Bottom line is that the Bills 3rd quarter defensive stats were amazing last year. If they repeat those numbers again this year, Gray WILL have head coaching opportunities, because he will prove himself to be a great on-field manager.

If that happens, Mularkey, Donahoe, and Wilson are responsible for finding and hiring Gray's replacement, not Gray himself.

I think Gray's a punk.

395947[/snapback]

Cottrell was imaginative? It was a very vanilla defense when he was here. Granted it was very successful with limited talent, but I look at what the Chargers did last year with no talent defensively, and how vastly improved the Jets defense was last year after TC left with the same players outside of Vilma, and I think that our stout D in the late 90's was mostly because of Wade.

We have a lot of talent on our defense, but we led the league in takeaways with no real pass-rusher and an offensive minded HC. Hard to give the DC flack when that happens.

My issue with Gray is ONLY that he's not grooming a successor. For someone so vocal from the get-go that he wants out of here or there or anywhere that isn't a HC position my question is this: Who is he grooming as his successor?  :D

395947[/snapback]

Like he should care about that. No offense, but he needs to look out for #1. The only guys that groom successors are the ones that are going to stay with an organization for a long time after they leave their current post. If Gray is looking to become HC in Buffalo, then yeah, he'd be smart to start working on someone to take his old spot. But if he's going to coach in Denver, why should he care about who's going to replace him, and wouldnt he take his favorites with him?

No need to apologize. I got it the first time. What was so hard about understanding the statement "In 2004, in the 3rd quarter, the Bills outscored their opponents 80 to 12".

What a bunch of knuckleheads.

395934[/snapback]

He ommitted the part about it being the 3rd quarter...then edited it....knucklehead!

Gray is lucky he was not fired befoe or with Coach Greg. That said I think he has become a pretty good D coach. Dont overlook the fact that he has had damn good talent to work with. Is he great? -- Probably not.

396165[/snapback]

No doubt Gray has excellent talent to work with. But the 3rd quarter stat that C. Biscuit points out really has to catch your attention. 12 points in 16 3rd quarters? That's really incredible. That indicates that the Gray made excellent half-time adjustments throughout the year.

If the defense comes close to repeating that stat, Gray will prove to be a great DC.

No doubt Gray has excellent talent to work with.  But the 3rd quarter stat that C. Biscuit points out really has to catch your attention.  12 points in 16 3rd quarters?  That's really incredible.  That indicates that the Gray made excellent half-time adjustments throughout the year.

If the defense comes close to repeating that stat, Gray will prove to be a great DC.

396173[/snapback]

what was the time of possession differential for the 3rdf quarter?

How much of that low scoring was because the over team didn't have the ball?

I'm happy with him as our DC. As I was reading this I couldn't help but notice that it must be easier to find a good DC than OC Phillips, Cottrell, Greg all were decent coordinators not to mention ol' swizzle stick, But finding good OC's seems to be a problem. Could be:

1. Disparity in level of talent they're working with.

2. Defense is just easier to coach than O.

3. There are just more good defensive coaches than offensive coaches.

I hope we can manage to keep the staff assembled for a few more years.