Cant' Blame this Loss on the "D"

BuffaloBob

Sorry, but it's time for this team to start putting up WINS......that's great the defense played well most of the game.....but until we start winning, it doesn't much matter.

Bob, the TD catch was a ROOKIE......and Leftwich is no John Elway!

27967[/snapback]

This is completely irrelevant. Even Byron Leftwich and a rookie wide receiver are capable of making perfect plays in this league occasionally.

Like it or not, the ball was perfectly thrown where not one of three closel defenders can get their hands on it but that rookie, and he made a great catch even after getting hit.

I was a damn good play. The Bills let them hang around too long. It was the offensive that failed to put this game away.

Guest Guest_FredD_*

A Defense as good as we've been told we've have would have closed the deal on the last drive.<p>A average offense would have put the game away before it got to that point.

This rookie head coach and first year in Buffalo offensive staff have a HUGH job getting this team ready for next week

Like it or not, the ball was perfectly thrown where not one of three closel defenders can get their hands on it

27975[/snapback]

You're wrong about that.....good look at the replay or read my newest post. Our defenders had their heads up their asses and were behind the receiver in the back of the endzone.

You're wrong about that.....good look at the replay or read my newest post.  Our defenders had their heads up their asses and were behind the receiver in the back of the endzone.

27985[/snapback]

No I'm not! Only two were slightly behind, and one slightly in front. None of the three could make a play because the ball was perfectly thrown where they couldn't reach it. How else do you define a perfectly thrown ball? You can't say, the ball was not perfectly thrown because our defenders should have had some kind of different position, and only if they had actually had that position that we would have preferred, then they would have defended it. LOL!

No wait, the ball was actually a lousy throw and it was just that the defenders were in the perfect postion for a perfect throw but because it was so lousy, they couldn't make the play.

The bottom line is that had that ball been anywehre except where it had been thrown, either the WR would not have made the catch or one of our three converging defenders would have made the play.

No I'm not!  Only two were slightly behind, and one slightly in front.  None of the three could make a play because the ball was perfectly thrown where they couldn't reach it.  How else do you define a perfectly thrown ball?  You can't say, the ball was not perfectly thrown because our defenders should have had some kind of different position, and only if they had actually had that position that we would have preferred, then they would have defended it.  LOL!

No wait, the ball was actually a lousy throw and it was just that the defenders were in the perfect postion for a perfect throw but because it was so lousy, they couldn't make the play.

The bottom line is that had that ball been anywehre except where it had been thrown, either the WR would not have made the catch or one of our three converging defenders would have made the play.

28006[/snapback]

Bob: My point was that our defenders were out of position and behind the ROOKIE receiver. Now you tell me what good it does to be behind him in the very back of the endzone?? I can understand why Wire would be there, but not Vincent. And Reese could have easily gotten a hand on it if he'd have put just a little more effort into it. I'm sorry, but that play because we screwed it up.....and Jax took advantage of it.

Bob: My point was that our defenders were out of position and behind the ROOKIE receiver. Now you tell me what good it does to be behind him in the very back of the endzone?? I can understand why Wire would be there, but not Vincent. And Reese could have easily gotten a hand on it if he'd have put just a little more effort into it. I'm sorry, but that play because we screwed it up.....and Jax took advantage of it.

28013[/snapback]

It's obvious that you haven't watched replays of that play, so please fire up the VCR before you post volumes. That was a bang up play that just happened to work for the Jags.

But, to adress your points, all three Bills D were in FRONT of Wilford when he caught the ball. They landed behind him after he caught it and was pushed out.

Leftwich released the ball as soon as he got the snap, negating any pass rush. Spikes (not Vincent) had primary coverage of Wilford, but even though the guy is a rookie, he runs faster than a LB. Wire was playing center field and broke on the ball when it was released. Reese had back up coverage of the wide out & slot (Wilford). He had to stay at home until the ball was released. When the ball was thrown, Reese broke inside, but his path to the ball was partially blocked by Spikes, who was chasing Wilford. 8 out of 10 times, Bills break up the play.

This game was lost by the offense's inability to score more than 10

It's obvious that you haven't watched replays of that play, so please fire up the VCR before you post volumes.  That was a bang up play that just happened to work for the Jags.

But, to adress your points, all three Bills D were in FRONT of Wilford when he caught the ball.  They landed behind him after he caught it and was pushed out.

Leftwich released the ball as soon as he got the snap, negating any pass rush.  Spikes (not Vincent) had primary coverage of Wilford, but even though the guy is a rookie, he runs faster than a LB.  Wire was playing center field and broke on the ball when it was released.  Reese had back up coverage of the wide out & slot (Wilford).  He had to stay at home until the ball was released.  When the ball was thrown, Reese broke inside, but his path to the ball was partially blocked by Spikes, who was chasing Wilford.  8 out of 10 times, Bills break up the play.

This game was lost by the offense's inability to score more than 10

28051[/snapback]

I just watched the replay, actually. I saw it differently than you. Wire and Vincent were behind the rookie in the endzone. Either way, it's getting to be a stale conversation. Point is, we lost when we should have won.

They dominated the Jags, caused TO's and shut them down.  Too many blown opportunties by the offense.  If you let a team hang around until they are desparate and have nothing to lose but to go for it on fourth down and throw jump balls, occasionally they are going to make a play or two.

Sure Clements was out-fought for that ball, but it was a great play by a wiley veteran receiver and it was a great throw to boot.

And as for the TD pass, it was also a great throw and catch. 

The fact is, the defense should never have been in the position they were in in the first place.  The most critical mistake made by the offense the entire game was the holding call on Villarial with McGahee having made the first down,  It not only negated a first down, after which we would have surely forced the Jags to use their TO's and had a shot at a medium range field goal at the least.  Instead, it forced us into a third and long which was not converted. 

That play in my mind was the turning point in the game, because that gave the Jags the ball back with two minutes, two TO's and nothing to lose but to keep throwing it up until something good could happen.

Of course, the missed field goal, the poor Moorman punt prior to the last Jags drive, the Moulds fumble in the red zone and the failure to put the ball in the end zone after the Reese INT were also crucial mistakes, but clearly the holding penalty was the most eggregious and most ill-timed.

I can only comfort myself with a few facts:

1) that this is an entirely new offense, new O coordinator etc, and that it will take some time for everyone to get comfortable (especially the O-line);

2) that Drew has really bought into the getting rid of the ball quickly philosophy which is critical to the Bills future success;

3) that we are truly blessed to have two good RBs so that when Travis gets hurt we still have a threat there;

4) that Lee Evans is going to be a playa (he made some nice heads-up plays); and

5) our defense is not only dominant at the LOS, but they will truly be creating TO's for us this season.

Oh yeah, and Neufeld needs to sit his butt down, as he not only dropped passes that he should have caught but he missed several blocking asignments that led to losses on running plays in the backfield.

27844[/snapback]

If you aren't any good in the clutch, you aren't any good. The offense certainly made critical mistakes and didn't do their share to win the game, but ultimately the defense had to make one stop and defend 80 yards of turf against a shabby Jacksonville offense and they couldn't get it done.

If you aren't any good in the clutch, you aren't any good.  The offense certainly made critical mistakes and didn't do their share to win the game, but ultimately the defense had to make one stop and defend 80 yards of turf against a shabby Jacksonville offense and they couldn't get it done.

28078[/snapback]

This of course presumes that they weren't good in the clutch, which I think they were actually.

Clearly, the Bills were playing a very two-deep zone that was designed not to give up the big play early on.

It is difficult to say whether the first 4th down conversion was preventable even had Clements had just tried to knock it down. Leftwhich underthrew the ball in a great location, permitting Smith to manhandle Clements and get into the better position. This is an advantage of the offense. So in that case, they made one in four plays. Fletcher kicking the ball was stupidity, as he then gave them four downs to make 5 yards. Again, not an impossible to task to stop, but which is damn tough for even a clutch defense. Again, 3 out of four plays stopped and a short two yard play to make a first down. Nevertheless, the coverage was there and it is damn hard to stop any offense for passing for two yards if they execute properly.

Finally, four shots to the end zone, 3 of 4 stopped cold and one very good play made by the Jags.

Except for the long lob play which was well-executed and Fletcher's idiocy, I thought they played well on the last drive. You cannot let even a not-so-good team hang around that close that long and not expect them to make a few plays.

The Buffalo Bills lost. Not the offense, not the defense, the team lost. I am sick of losing. This team is better than this. They better start winning these close games. I am so sick of them not being able to put teams away or make frickin plays. Enough already. Want to win? Score a TD with 1st and goal from the 3. Want to win? Don't hold on McGahee's 3&2 run for a first inside the Jax 20 with 2:40 left. Want to win? Stop a 4th and 15. Want to win? Knock the ball down on the last play of the game. People can blame any play that they want to, it doesn't change the fact that the team didn't make plays when it counted. They were not playing to win, they were playing not to lose and that's when you get beat.

Well...I hear what you're saying, but there is just no excuse for only scoring 10 points at Home. It's never one play or one drive that decides a Game, and the Bills are looking at the same problem that plagued them for the better part of last Season. They can't score enough to win...plain and simple... <_<

Still you're right about that last Drive...And I can hear the ESPN guys already screaming...JUST KNOCK THE BALL DOWN!!!! Even Clements said it in the Post Game comments. He said he saw the Ball and went for the INT (on the 4th and Long play), when he should have just knocked the ball away...Oh well Nate, hindsight pretty much sucks at this point...

27913[/snapback]

Hey Nate - if you just knock it down on 4TH DOWN, you get the ball at the LOS, retard!

For those that want to take the heat off the D for this loss, the fact of the matter is we had a four point lead with 2 minutes to go. It doesn't matter if the score was 10-6 or 34 -30 or whatever. The defense needed to make a stop and failed, plain and simple.