Sabres Schedule Released

That would make it perfect!  I'd go then.  See a Sabres game first, then stay in town to see the Bills crush the Broncos.  Sounds like a great time.  I'd even stop at the Anchor Bar for dinner.  0:)

391443[/snapback]

They make that an afternoon game and I am definetly in. How cool to see a double header in reverse. Man gonna be a long drive home Suday if that is the case and they do switch it to an afternnon game.

Aw chit, just saw they are scheduled in Pitts night before, doubt they'd make the boys play a 1.00 pm game after a night game

They make that an afternoon game and I am definetly in. How cool to see a double header in reverse. Man gonna be a long drive home Suday if that is the case and they do switch it to an afternnon game.

Aw chit, just saw they are scheduled in Pitts night before, doubt they'd make the boys play a 1.00 pm game after a night game

391453[/snapback]

but in the nhl of old, the sabres would have played a western conferencel away game, then would have played the next day at 1 at home.

Especially now that they are regressing back to 60%+ teams in the playoffs.  Makes the season nothing more than "seeding" for the end of season tournament to the casual fan...

Of course I'm one who feels that hockey season starts when football season ends...

391433[/snapback]

The playoff format remains unchanged. Where did you get the idea that it was regressing?

The playoff format remains unchanged.  Where did you get the idea that it was regressing?

391480[/snapback]

I thought they bumped up the number of playoff teams from 16 to 20, based on the thread started by Mr. Clutch...(3 game playoff to start things off with the extra four teams...?)? If not, then I guess I was wrong. I don't see it on the NHL site, but then again, it's the NHL site.

One thing that I found interesting when going there, with regards to the rules changes:

The dimensions of goaltender equipment will be reduced by approximately 11 percent. In addition to a one-inch reduction (to 11') in the width of legpads, the blocking glove, upper-body protector, pants and jersey will also be reduced in size.

Jeez, no wonder why there's so little scoring in the NHL these days... :angry:

but in the nhl of old, the sabres would have played a western conferencel away game, then would have played the next day at 1 at home.

391454[/snapback]

Speaking of which, does anyone here remember the circumstances as to why the Sabres once played a playoff game (against the Bruins I think) on a weekday afternoon. I was just back in Buffalo this past week, and a friend and I were remincing about the old Sabres, we both remembered it, but couldn't remember why they were playing at such an odd time. I remember, at school, they rolled in a television, and let us watch. It was likely aronund 1977 or 1978. I think Bowman was behind the bench. Maybe it was snow, or maybe there was a conflict with the Bruins and Celtics being in the playoffs...I think the Sabres got whupped!

A memory is a terrible thing to lose!

I thought they bumped up the number of playoff teams from 16 to 20, based on the thread started by Mr. Clutch...(3 game playoff to start things off with the extra four teams...?)?  If not, then I guess I was wrong.  I don't see it on the NHL site, but then again, it's the NHL site.

http://www.wgr550.com/fullstory.php?id=0968

"No longer on the list is the plan to increase playoff participation to 20 teams from 16. That's going to be reconsidered next year but given the NHL's plan to take a break for the Turin Olympics it doesn't seem to make sense to make the season longer this year. The original idea of going to 20 teams would have seen an extra mini-playoff round with a best-of-three series in each conference between the seventh, eighth, ninth and 10th-ranked teams."

Speaking of which, does anyone here remember the circumstances as to why the Sabres once played a playoff game (against the Bruins I think) on a weekday afternoon.  I was just back in Buffalo this past week, and a friend and I were remincing about the old Sabres, we both remembered it, but couldn't remember why they were playing at such an odd time.  I remember, at school, they rolled in a television, and let us watch.  It was likely aronund 1977 or 1978.  I think Bowman was behind the bench.  Maybe it was snow, or maybe there was a conflict with the Bruins and Celtics being in the playoffs...I think the Sabres got whupped!

391512[/snapback]

I do not remeber that at all, but will search now

http://www.wgr550.com/fullstory.php?id=0968

"No longer on the list is the plan to increase playoff participation to 20 teams from 16. That's going to be reconsidered next year but given the NHL's plan to take a break for the Turin Olympics it doesn't seem to make sense to make the season longer this year. The original idea of going to 20 teams would have seen an extra mini-playoff round with a best-of-three series in each conference between the seventh, eighth, ninth and 10th-ranked teams."

391526[/snapback]

Still it appears something they look forward to doing...why not just extend it to 30 teams? Goes back to the old argument of "do sub .500 teams deserve the playoffs?" The current 16 team format shows a statistical likelihood of that happening. Going to 20 teams pretty much ensures that there will be sub-.500 teams in.

Again, just my POV as a casual fan.

Still it appears something they look forward to doing...why not just extend it to 30 teams?  Goes back to the old argument of "do sub .500 teams deserve the playoffs?"  The current 16 team format shows a statistical likelihood of that happening.  Going to 20 teams pretty much ensures that there will be sub-.500 teams in. 

Again, just my POV as a casual fan.

391541[/snapback]

I guess I'd have to agree with that in principle.

From a team owner standpoint however; the more teams in the playoffs, the better. If they can fit 4 more teams in, and only make it take a week longer due to the best of three first round, I can see why they'd want to.

As a fan, you always hope that even if your team just sneaks in the back door, they can make some noise when they get there.

Speaking of which, does anyone here remember the circumstances as to why the Sabres once played a playoff game (against the Bruins I think) on a weekday afternoon.  I was just back in Buffalo this past week, and a friend and I were remincing about the old Sabres, we both remembered it, but couldn't remember why they were playing at such an odd time.  I remember, at school, they rolled in a television, and let us watch.  It was likely aronund 1977 or 1978.  I think Bowman was behind the bench.  Maybe it was snow, or maybe there was a conflict with the Bruins and Celtics being in the playoffs...I think the Sabres got whupped!

391512[/snapback]

I remember this as well. I was at the old Baker Elementary school (Orchard Park) and our teachers rolled the tv out into 'the commons' to let us watch. I think I was in 2nd or 3rd grade, which would make it sometime ~1979. Yeah, I think the Sabres did lose that game but it was still more exciting than the Electric Company :angry:

I remember this as well.  I was at the old Baker Elementary school (Orchard Park) and our teachers rolled the tv out into 'the commons' to let us watch.  I think I was in 2nd or 3rd grade, which would make it sometime ~1979.  Yeah, I think the Sabres did lose that game but it was still more exciting than the Electric Company :angry:

391592[/snapback]

If I recall correctly it was a triple overtime and Brad Park scored the sudden death goal for the Bruins. Don't recall the year but I think Housley and Andreychuk were rookies.

If I recall correctly it was a triple overtime and Brad Park scored the sudden death goal for the Bruins. Don't recall the year but I think Housley and Andreychuk were rookies.

391612[/snapback]

I could be wrong, but I don't think that was a weekday game. For some reason I'm thinking that one was a Saturday, because I remember going outside right after the game and we were playing street hockey and bitching about the loss. IIRC, that shot by Park could have been stopped by Mike Ramsey but he ducked (OK so he would have had his head taken off, but the game would have still went on. :angry: )

I could be wrong, but I don't think that was a weekday game.  For some reason I'm thinking that one was a Saturday, because I remember going outside right after the game and we were playing street hockey and bitching about the loss.  IIRC, that shot by Park could have been stopped by Mike Ramsey but he ducked (OK so he would have had his head taken off, but the game would have still went on. :angry: )

391619[/snapback]

Well, I don't remember the specifics, but I am 100% positive the Sabres played a weekday playoff game, during the Scotty Bowman era, and that the Sabres lost. I keep thinking it had something to do with a Celtics/Bruins playoff schedule conflict.

It may have been 1979, as ColoradoBillsFan said...I know I am not imagining it...