(OT) Where is the "sweet spot"

DeeRay

Retiring in 9 yrs. As a lifelong NYS resident I can not wait to exit this cesspool of corrupt politicians and the highest taxed state in the USA, bar none.

So, where do I go? I will still work some... either self employed or other. Mrs. Deeray hates snakes (can't figure out why she married me), so moving to a place where there are lots of snakes around is not going to work.

Right now, I'm thinking Delaware, Tenessee, and Alabama, in that order.

I'm basically looking for low taxes, much lower C.O.L than in NY, low crime rate, not too hot, and much less snow than in CNY.

So, is there a "sweet spot"??? If so, where?

I moved to East Tennessee (Knoxville) after growing up in Buffalo followed by shorter stints in central Ohio and DC/Northern Virginia. Once you adjust to life-style differences, it is by far the best place I have ever lived. The cost of living is very reasonable and the quality of life is tremendous. A lot of "Yankees", including many native Western NY'ers, have moved to the area over the years and that population change has been reflected in many positive ways, including food choices available at the grocery and types of resturants, etc. You'll always hear that you're "not from around here", but I have always felt welcome even though I am still a "damned Yankee" to the hard-core natives (i.e. a Yankee that moves South and doesn't leave) after 25+ years. The lakes, UT and the fantastic weather make for a really nice place to live. Oh, and not too many snakes (the reptile kind), at least not in the city. I haven't seen one in my yard in 15 or 20 years. You might really like a small town about 15 miles from Knoxville called Maryville. It has been listed as one of the best little known places to live in the USA for several years. Alabama is too Deep South for me in both hot weather and lifestyle. It may be unfair, but I see Delaware as being a nice suburb of Baltimore and Philadelphia and I'd much rather live in Buffalo than either of those two cities.

I moved to East Tennessee (Knoxville) after growing up in Buffalo followed by shorter stints in central Ohio and DC/Northern Virginia.  Once you adjust to life-style differences, it is by far the best place I have ever lived.  The cost of living is very reasonable and the quality of life is tremendous.  A lot of "Yankees", including many native Western NY'ers, have moved to the area over the years and that population change has been reflected in many positive ways, including food choices available at the grocery and types of resturants, etc.  You'll always hear that you're "not from around here", but I have always felt welcome even though I am still a "damned Yankee" to the hard-core natives (i.e. a Yankee that moves South and doesn't leave) after 25+ years.  The lakes, UT and the fantastic weather make for a really nice place to live.  Oh, and not too many snakes (the reptile kind), at least not in the city.  I haven't seen one in my yard in 15 or 20  years.  You might really like a small town about 15 miles from Knoxville called Maryville. It has been listed as one of the best little known places to live in the USA for several years.  Alabama is too Deep South for me in both hot weather and lifestyle.  It may be unfair, but I see Delaware as being a nice suburb of Baltimore and Philadelphia and I'd much rather live in Buffalo than either of those two cities.

389353[/snapback]

Thanks for the "heads up". I'm going to take a closer look at eastern Tenn. on your advice. You're pretty close on Delaware bing a suburb of Baltimore and Philly in General, but the center of the state like Dover and Smyrna ain't bad... and neither is Rehobeth Beach area. thanks again

North Florida has been booming. Cold winters with no snow, beach is close so you can sunbathe and you can fish salt or freshwater. Civilization is nearby so you can get anything you need, and you can build a new home out in the country and get away from lights, noise, and pollution. Best part is land is cheap right now, and is growing pretty damn fast.

Thanks for the "heads up".  I'm going to take a closer look at eastern Tenn. on your advice.  You're pretty close on Delaware bing a suburb of Baltimore and Philly in General, but the center of the state like Dover and Smyrna ain't bad... and neither is Rehobeth Beach area.  thanks again

389363[/snapback]

You like Smyrna? ;) That is a first for me.

I live 5 minutes from DE (up north around Newark and UD) and I think Delaware is a very underrated place. I don't consider it a suburb of anything else. It has everything. A populated city with a downtown, a small college-town, beaches, amazingly nice areas and some sh------- ones too. And it is just a few hours from NYC, DC and, if you like it, skiing. Dover is pretty nice central location, there are some bad parts of course, but there are everywhere. If it was me, I would go as far south as possible.

Rehoboth is the most populated and there is definitely the most to do there (restaurants, shopping, etc.). Dewey is probably the most fun, but as a retiree, I doubt you would want to spend your hard earned vacation time putting up with a bunch of obnoxious high school and college kids (like I was/am :) ). Bethany may be the best choice. It is definitely the quietest and most chilled out. Plus it is basically the southernmost area of DE so you are pretty much directly between Rehoboth and OC, Maryland (about 10-15 minutes to each).

I can't comment on Bama or Tenny since I've never spent much time in either. But I would endorse DE. Good luck.

We moved from Rochester to Nashville a few years back and have not regretted the move. We moved here for (in order):

1) We already had some family here.

2) The music business.

3) Weather.

4) The real/day job.

5) Cost of living & No income tax.

I think Nashville offers some of the big city amenities with a mid size city feel. Plus Southwest Airlines uses it as a hub. You can fly almost anywhere in the lower 48 for reasonable cost.

Where it falls short are the state's political climate (depending on your leanings), city schools and trout fishing...

But still worth checking out IMHO.

Charles

The retired friends I've met who seem to say their choice was the best are those who actually sold their home and all their junk and purchased two small trailers. They put one in the north (like near the Lakes) and one in the south (Florida or Big Bend, TX area). There are many very nice trailer communities for adults. They would purchase a little used "runaround" car for each location and each Spring and Fall, they would switch around - spending their winters in the south and their summers in the north.

Another one is to purchase a Motor Home and take turns visiting your kids and staying in their driveway! It's great revenge!

:)

Bethany may be the best choice. It is definitely the quietest and most chilled out. Plus it is basically the southernmost area of DE so you are pretty much directly between Rehoboth and OC, Maryland (about 10-15 minutes to each).

I'll be there on Saturday! Can't wait to go to Mickey's Crab House. :)

Have you considered the Garden State of New Jersey?

I can not wait to exit this cesspool of corrupt politicians . . .

I'm basically looking for low taxes, much lower C.O.L than in NY, low crime rate, not too hot,  and much less snow than in CNY.

389318[/snapback]

Oh . . . yeah . . . well, never mind.

I'll be there on Saturday!  Can't wait to go to Mickey's Crab House.  :)

389558[/snapback]

I just got back from Rehoboth/Dewey this week. Parents and neighbors had a house on Carolina St., just in between the beginning of Dewey and Silver Lake. I forgot how much fun it is down there...especially being 21 ;)

Went to Dogfish Head for dinner and drinks, then over the the Rudder for some music. I do miss Bethany though. :(