Can Josh Reed finally get it going?

MrLocke

I was reading this artice and I asked my self; Is the jury still out on Josh Reed or can we consider him a bust for certain? I think the great thing for Josh Reed this year is that (imo anyway) the Bills do not need him to step up this year, as they already have Evans and Moulds, so they have some serious talent at receiver. Many people have claimed that there was too much pressure on Reed when he was made a starter in his second year and now he shouldn't have that pressure. Anyway hopefully we will get the answer to this question and many others when players report on Friday. Anyway Does Josh Reed finnally step up this year or is he a certain bust? and if he is a certain bust why?

Even more accurately, how about "Josh Reed = Bucky Brooks"? Both were second-rounders, too.

389262[/snapback]

The writing's on the wall for JR. Since his first year, Buffalo has drafted WR high. Now they are loaded. He has to prove that he can hang or he's gone. So, so long Josh! these young guys are too fast and too good for you to compete. I'm not even sure that he will make it on the final 53?

Jeff

The writing's on the wall for JR. Since his first year, Buffalo has drafted WR high. Now they are loaded. He has to prove that he can hang or he's gone. So, so long Josh! these young guys are too fast and too good for you to compete. I'm not even sure that he will make it on the final 53?

Jeff

389263[/snapback]

According to CP, the Bills would save $458,000 cap dollars by cutting him.

I am hoping that they do so.

I strongly disagree.  That's a low cap # and you never know....what if Moulds goes down in Week 2....who is your #3 now that Evans would be 1 and Parrish 2??

389389[/snapback]

I wouldn't forget that Reed can block, also. It goes unnoticed, but it can be a big asset.

The thought of Sam Aiken, Jonathan Smith or Drew Haddad as a #3 due to injury will keep me up at night. We got enough issues at TE.

389398[/snapback]

Have you watched Aiken on coverage special teams? He is superb. Otoh, Reed has been in a steady decline since his rookie season.

JP is young and inexperienced. He does not need the added burden of the consistent dropped passes that Reed brings to the table. I personally would rather see Aiken get a shot.

Jmo.

I strongly disagree.  That's a low cap # and you never know....what if Moulds goes down in Week 2....who is your #3 now that Evans would be 1 and Parrish 2??

389389[/snapback]

sam aiken. his style more closely matches moulds' than anyone else on the roster.

I personally am rooting for Josh Reed this season to step up and show us what promise he had as a rookie. I still think the guy is a good WR.

Some people here have said that Sam Aiken is the better player and that he should be ahead on the depth chart. IMO I think that Aiken is the player who should be cut. He has had his chances to show that he should be the #3 WR before, and many times he has been unreliable. He dropped many passes last year, maybe not as much as Reed, but the difference is not that big.

I also firmly remember during the last game of the season against Pittsburgh in the Bills final drive of the 1st half, Aiken caught a pass which kept the Bills drive alive, but instead of getting out of bounds to conserve as much time as they could, Aiken stayed inbounds to get a few extra yards, costing the Bills more time off the clock, in this case there was under a minute to go. Which in my opinion puts Aiken's awareness in question.

Reed does have his problems, but right now I feel more comfortable with him being on the team than Aiken.

According to CP, the Bills would save $458,000 cap dollars by cutting him.

I am hoping that they do so.

389386[/snapback]

Actually, I think the most accurate reading of CP's numbers regardinf decisions to cut players is found by looking at his column listing deadspace in the cap after a player is cut after a specific date because all bonus paid to him is immediately accelerated into the cap.

The good news regarding a cut of Reed is that this is his last year under contract and there are no accelerated out years. However, there is bonus that has already been paid to him and this 400K distribution will count as part of the last WR's cap hit regardles of whether you cut Reed or not.

There is a $75K difference in the annual salary paid to Aiken of $380K paid to Aiken versus the $455K to be paid to Reed, but given current salaries paid to NFL players and within the context of an $80+ million cap and the almost $4 million in cap room we currently have the less than $100K savings from keeping Aiken is pretty small.

In fact, it actually is a reasonable thing to really add the cap cost of a cut to the actual cap hit for Aiken/Reed if the choice comes down to these two (this assumes the choice is between these two and PR ability keeps Fast Freddy on).

Figure that if we cut Reed the actual 2005 cap hit for deciding go with Aiken will be $874.000 (Aiken salary + Aiken bonus + bonus from cut Reed already paid for the 4th WR). The decision to go with Reed (and thus cut Aiken) means a 2005 cap hit for this 4th WR of $949,000.

Again the less than $100K cap hit for the final WR slot regardless of who you keep is so small as to not really determine who will be kept. If anything, this difference cuts in Reed's favor because the a shorthand for assessing how good of a job our GM is doing is often how small your deadspace number is. As cutting Reed will add over 300K more to the deadspace number than cutting Aiken if folks feel TD is insecure or small enough to be motivated by pundit judgment of his work, all things being relatively equal Aiken is dust and Reed gets kept.