Mike Mularkey's first big gameday decision

Simon

And I thought he failed the test:-(

Opting for a measly 15yrds of field position instead of giving Lindell a shot to make it a 7pt lead: especially when the kick was inside 50 on a dry sunny day with the wind at the kicker's back.

You gotta play to win, and Mularkey was playing not to lose today.

Cya

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Opting for a measly 15yrds of field position instead of giving Lindell a shot to make it a 7pt lead: especially when the kick was inside 50 on a dry sunny day with the wind at the kicker's back.

Cya

27665[/snapback]

I agree. Missing the 42 yarder doesn't mean it's hopeless from 50.

27665[/snapback]

I totally agree. If you've chosen a kicker for your team, you have to be able to have him kick a 49-50 yarder when it counts. Punting there says you have absolutely no faith in himl. If that's the case, he shouldn't be on the team.

I agree. Missing the 42 yarder doesn't mean it's hopeless from 50.

Hopeless, no. But by the same token, because I lost the lottery last week, doesnt mean its hopeless for me to win the next week.

The longest FG Lindell has hit in his bills career is 44 yards. He was 17/24 last season, and only made 3 field goals longer than 39 yards.

The decision was

1) Take a longshot chance at the FG and if you miss give them the ball around the 50 yard line

2) Punt the ball and make them drive 90 yards in 2 minutes.

The 2nd choice IS THE CORRECT CHOICE. Too bad our defense let us down, and its also too bad we couldnt have attempted that kick. But with lindell, we had no other choice. Would you be saying the same thing if lindell missed that kick?

Hopeless, no.  But by the same token, because I lost the lottery last week, doesnt mean its hopeless for me to win the next week.

The longest FG Lindell has hit in his bills career is 44 yards.  He was 17/24 last season, and only made 3 field goals longer than 39 yards.

The decision was

1) Take a longshot chance at the FG and if you miss give them the ball around the 50 yard line

The 2nd choice IS THE CORRECT CHOICE.  Too bad our defense let us down, and its also too bad we couldnt have attempted that kick.  But with lindell, we had no other choice.  Would you be saying the same thing if lindell missed that kick?

27687[/snapback]

The ball would have been around the 40 yard line not the 50 but you are right, you punt the ball and let your defense stop them.

Unfortunately, the punt was poor and defense didn't stop them.

What the hell was Villarial holding for anyhow? That's what set up this entire mess.

Except the fact if he missed that 49-50 yarder and we lose you guys still complain and reverse and say we shoulda punted.......

Or not.

I would have given Mularkey the nod for taking a shot whether Lindell hits or not.

The difference between a 60+yrd drive and an 80yrd drive isn't so great that it's worth denying yourself the chance to take a touchdown lead late in the game.

He got caught overcoaching for at least the 2ndtime on the day and both times it stung us.

Hell, he'd have been better off going for it at that point, than just surrendering the ball in exchange for 0 freaking points.

It was a mistake in foresight and in hindsight.

Cya

Hopeless, no.  But by the same token, because I lost the lottery last week, doesnt mean its hopeless for me to win the next week.

The longest FG Lindell has hit in his bills career is 44 yards.  He was 17/24 last season, and only made 3 field goals longer than 39 yards.

The decision was

The 2nd choice IS THE CORRECT CHOICE.  Too bad our defense let us down, and its also too bad we couldnt have attempted that kick.  But with lindell, we had no other choice.  Would you be saying the same thing if lindell missed that kick?

27687[/snapback]

If that is the case, than the fact that Lindell is still on the team show a GLARING incompetence by both the GM and HC. How the f#*k could you have a guy on the team that has NO chance of making a 50 yard FG?

And yes, I would be saying the same thing if he had missed. The ball wouldn't have been at the 50 and we only made them drive 80 yards as it happened. The net field position difference was 15-20 yards, making it worth the FG attempt..

Cya

27665[/snapback]

Put down the crap pipe!

If he can't nail a 42 chip shot how is he supposed to make a 50 yarder? :doh:

Ok, you may now pass me the crack pipe, I need some of that stevestojan!

Put down the crap pipe!

If he can't nail a 42 chip shot how is he supposed to make a 50 yarder?      :doh:

Ok, you may now pass me the crack pipe, I need some of that stevestojan!

27714[/snapback]

My sense of the game was that there was that the wind had something to do with Lindell missing from 42 (though it shouldn't have because I expect my kicker on synthetic turf at home to make it within 45).

Even ifthis were the case that makes the decision to punt all the more wimpy since he had the wind at his back for that one.

Hindsight is 20/20 but the hindsight pretty clearly says he should have gone for the FG.

The decision was

Nonsense.

1)It wasn't a longshot in any way, shape or form. It was a 49yrdr on a beautiful day with any wind at Lindelll's back that he probably had a 50/50 chance to give us 7pt lead(thats a realllly important number in football ya know).

2)The spot if he did miss would have been the 39, hardly the 50.

3)It's easy to say just punt the ball and make them drive 90, but it usually doesn't work like that, instead it'll likely end up out around the 20 by faircatch or touchback. In fact Lindell had a far better chance of making that fieldgoal than Moorman had of landing it on the 10.

If those decisions you presented were the actual options then #2 is preferable. However they were not the actual options.

Those were:

1)Try a 49yrd FG on a beautiful day with the wind at your back to take a 7pt lead with a couple minutes left. If you miss it they still have to drive over 60yrds.

2)Go for it and if you don't get it they still have to drive almost 70 yrds.

3)Sacrifice any opportunity for hugely important points or a monster firstdown and voluntarily give up the ball just so you can move it from the 30 to around the 20.

10-15 yrds of field position is nowhere near important enough to sacrifice points or possession for it.

Cya