What would you do if you were me?

Nice to hear that they have "regular" sex offenders and "Violent" The act of rape is a violent act. What the hell is wrong with the DA / Judge here? Incredible stupidity. The one thing that is going for you is the media has started to pick up on it, two articles within 24 hours so far. If more coverage ensues, the DA and judge may come to an agreement (face saving) that his bail should be increased or revoked.

386981[/snapback]

I called the magistrate's office to request that I be informed if this predator gets released on bail. They basically told me I'd have to keep calling back if I wanted to know.

Absurd. Absolutely absurd that a law-abiding, tax-paying honest citizen should have to BEG his local government for information needed regarding the safety of a brave woman who's HELPING THEM with their case.

Too much concern for the accused in this country.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More information on this ANIMAL...

He was convicted of raping WOMEN, not little girls. This just gets worse and f*cking worse.

The judge that handled this situation should be immediately removed from the bench.

Oh my f*cking God.

386961[/snapback]

On the subject of bail, from the PA Procedure Code:

(5)  Release on a Monetary Condition: Release conditioned upon the defendant’s compliance with a monetary condition imposed pursuant to Rule 528. The amount of the monetary condition shall not be greater than is necessary to reasonably ensure the defendant’s appearance and compliance with the conditions of the bail bond.

No condition of release, whether nonmonetary or monetary, should ever be imposed for the sole purpose of ensuring that a defendant remains incarcerated until trial. See Standard 10-5.3, ABA Standards for Criminal Justice, Chapter 10, Pretrial Release. However, bail may be initially denied, or subsequently modified or revoked, if the bail authority determines such action is necessary to ensure the defendant’s appearance and compliance.

Pretty clearly, bail is meant to insure appearance, not as a punitive measure. Other considerations go into the bail decision, such as prior criminal record and what threat the accused poses to the community...but it also has to cosider the current charge, which in this case is a first-degree misdemeanor. And $30k bail is a pretty hefty sum for a misdemeanor. Sorry JSP, but no decent judge in the country is going to issue a remand order or millions in bail for a misdemeanor charge. It sounds to me like the judge was fairly outraged, and expressed as much of that as the system would allow. The judge threw the heaviest book at him within their reach.

As for parole...he's required to notify his parole agent within 72 hours of an arrest or criminal citation. Ultimately, it's up to the parole board to decide whether or not he goes back in, not the judge at arraignment. You would think or hope the courts would notify the parole board...I wouldn't count on it, though. If I were in your shoes, I'd be making some calls to the parole board right now to make sure they knew this guy'd been arrested.

As for parole...he's required to notify his parole agent within 72 hours of an arrest or criminal citation.  Ultimately, it's up to the parole board to decide whether or not he goes back in, not the judge at arraignment.  You would think or hope the courts would notify the parole board...I wouldn't count on it, though.  If I were in your shoes, I'd be making some calls to the parole board right now to make sure they knew this guy'd been arrested.

386995[/snapback]

Already on it.

It took 5 calls just to find out who to talk to about his current status.

Already on it.

It took 5 calls just to find out who to talk to about his current status.

387002[/snapback]

I thought it would take a lot more than that, to be honest.

If you can get his parole revoked (likely, I'd wager), he'll go back for a LOT longer than he would for any BS misdemeanor charge. Looked to me like he still had 13 years to go...

update:

Got a hold of the State Parole board.

In PA, they have a statute that states that even though this monster was granted bail, it's lkey that the state will put a hold on his bail, over-ruling the county. This especially because he's a sex offender.

Now, he couldn't tell me anything specific, but I told him I was concerned that this arsehole would slip through the cracks. He assured me that wouldn't happen. Still, I'm a bit leery.

I think I'll just keep in touch with the prison to ensure he's still there.

He *is* still technically on parole, and given the related nature of his offense to his orginial conviction, it's likely he won't be going anywhere.

More Updates:

My wife just called me and told me the Philly NBC affiliate was up filming at her schoold today. This story is about to blow UP.

Which IMO is a good thing. It will put the heat squarely on the Judge, DA and Parole Board.

One of the few times I actually APPRECIATE the press.

More Updates:

My wife just called me and told me the Philly NBC affiliate was up filming at her schoold today. This story is about to blow UP.

Which IMO is a good thing. It will put the heat squarely on the Judge, DA and Parole Board.

387308[/snapback]

The heat probably doesn't belong there. As far as I can tell from everything you've said, the judge, ADA, and parole board are doing as much as they can within the confines of the law.

The media, of course, will point at the judge, ADA, and parole board and blame them, just as you are. It's far easier to blame real people than legal abstractions, particularly in a 30-second TV story.

More Updates:

387308[/snapback]

Bill O'Reilly had the Governor of PA on his show. PA (and NY) are two of the states O'Reilly has targeted as needing to change their child sex abuse laws.

Bill O'Reilly had the Governor of PA on his show. PA (and NY) are two of the states O'Reilly has targeted as needing to change their child sex abuse laws.

387562[/snapback]

I've lived in 5 different states and none did a better job of dealing with child abuse than Oklahoma. It seemed that one day you were reading about someone committing a crime and within 6 months he would be tried, convicted and locked up for 200 years.

I have also lived in FL and NY where it seems that sexual predators are constantly being released into the community. Most of these people can't be rehabbed, so we need longer sentences to keep them from doing it again. Doing it once is too much, let alone 2 or 3 offenses.

Not only would I recommend carrying guns but if you dont have a dog, get one. Not too many offenders will pull a "John Couey" and come into the home if they know a dog is in there.

*Edit - or even better, maybe he wont know the dog is there, breaks in, and the dog takes care of the problem.

Not only would I recommend carrying guns but if you dont have a dog, get one.    Not too many offenders will pull a "John Couey" and come into the home if they know a dog is in there.

*Edit - or even better, maybe he wont know the dog is there, breaks in, and the dog takes care of the problem.

387660[/snapback]

What kind of breed do you suggest? A pit bull?

What kind of weapon do you suggest?

You know he has a toddler in the house.

CA is just as bad as NY. Looking up the guy I mentioned above, I saw that Alameda county, CA has >1000 people listed on the Megan's law site. Our complex is across a rails to trails walking trail from the local High School. Isn't that being too close to one?