Headhunter advice

I had a headhunter call me yesterday. I'm not currently looking for a job, but always willing to listen.

I'm not sure how they got my name and contact info, but it is a legit job for a company that is struggling. I may have hit the ceiling here, so could be an opportunity to make some more $$...

My question is:

What questions should I ask the headhunter?

Keep in mind:

I've seen the position and description

I'm probably not qualified for the position

The company may go under in the next couple of years

The position would require a move from Texas to Colorado (which isn't a big deal as neither my wife nor I have family in Texas).

Your help is appreciated.

Getting a personal call from a putative "headhunter" is like getting a personal call from QVC or the Shopping Network. Marketing ploy.

Put it on ingnore - really. What is this?

An unsolicited stranger who would like you to spill your guts/personal information?

Don't do it.

your pal who has been around the block, stuckincincy.

I got the same call....was it for a squeegie man at Pandora's Boxxx?

Ask them if it is a salary job or is it based on the amount of squeegies you go through per night?

Getting a personal call from a putative "headhunter" is like getting a personal call from QVC or the Shopping Network. Marketing ploy.

An unsolicited stranger who would like you to spill your guts/personal information?

Don't do it.

your pal who has been around the block, stuckincinc.

381952[/snapback]

Agreed.

Don't do it.

381952[/snapback]

Woah....I'd say this is a little hasty.

Depending on what field he works in, headhunters are frequently the guys with all the jobs. Now obviously headhunters are interested in their commission and not in you being happy in the job they placed you in and thus most of them are not to be trusted, but that doesn't mean you should ignore them if they have a good opportunity.

Our friend in TX wouldn't have bothered posting if he wasn't considering the job. My advice to him would be to agree to a phone interview with the company and if both sides are still interested, then make the trip to CO.

As for how he found you, that what headhunters do. He can get your name any number of ways. Are you mentioned on your company's website? Do you have colleagues that he might have worked with in the past? Did you ever post your resume on a job search site?

I had a headhunter call me yesterday. I'm not currently looking for a job, but always willing to listen.

I'm not sure how they got my name and contact info, but it is a legit job for a company that is struggling. I may have hit the ceiling here, so could be an opportunity to make some more $$...

My question is:

Keep in mind:

The position would require a move from Texas to Colorado (which isn't a big deal as neither my wife nor I have family in Texas).

381892[/snapback]

Ask how big the golden parachute will be when the company goes belly up...

Also, where do you work now? I might be looking for a new job too. :lol:

Don't do it.

381952[/snapback]

as stated, it's an actual job. I found out today that I was referred by an industry colleague, so that makes it even more legitimate.

as stated, it's an actual job. I found out today that I was referred by an industry colleague, so that makes it even more legitimate.

382007[/snapback]

Run, do not walk, away from this opportunity. Regardless of whether it's a real job, the truth remains half the time a headhunter is calling it's your current employer feeling you out.

My question is:

Keep in mind:

381892[/snapback]

I will chip in with a serious response. I recently changed jobs and the way I got it was - a HH called a friend who wasn't looking but asked the HH to call me. So not all calls are junk calls. Give it serious consideration and run it down first.

You should get an idea about compensation but never talk details at this stage with either the HH or the company. That is only for after you get an offer.

At this stage the HH is trying to decide if you are qualified for the position so don't make that judgment yourself. Most people underestimate themselves.

If you are concerned about the company going under, get a legal clause in your offer letter (should you get one) that will pay you 6 months salary if you are left without a job due to this reason within the next two years. A friend did exactly this - the company is in bankruptcy and brought him in to 'fix the problems'.

The process from here on should go like this

HH interviews you

HH passes on resume to company (if you are are qualified and sound like a good prospect)

Company reviews and approves/disapproves your candidacy with the HH

You get called for a first round interview (phone or in person)

Hope this helps.

Don't do it.

381952[/snapback]

Ironic analogy :lol:

I will chip in with a serious response. I recently changed jobs and the way I got it was - a HH called a friend who wasn't looking but asked the HH to call me. So not all calls are junk calls. Give it serious consideration and run it down first.

You should get an idea about compensation but never talk details at this stage with either the HH or the company. That is only for after you get an offer.

At this stage the HH is trying to decide if you are qualified for the position so don't make that judgment yourself. Most people underestimate themselves.

If you are concerned about the company going under, get a legal clause in your offer letter (should you get one) that will pay you 6 months salary if you are left without a job due to this reason within the next two years. A friend did exactly this - the company is in bankruptcy and brought him in to 'fix the problems'.

The process from here on should go like this

HH interviews you

HH passes on resume to company (if you are are qualified and sound like a good prospect)

Company reviews and approves/disapproves your candidacy with the HH

You get called for a first round interview (phone or in person)

Hope this helps.

382038[/snapback]

Thanks for the advice.

To all others - see it isn't difficult! :lol:

At least nobody mentioned "Google".  :lol:

382062[/snapback]

I almost did. But in a constructive way. My first step would be to Google the headhunter, the next would be to find out everything I could about the new company. When I got interviewed, I'd interview back.

Woah....I'd say this is a little hasty.

Depending on what field he works in, headhunters are frequently the guys with all the jobs.  Now obviously headhunters are interested in their commission and not in you being happy in the job they placed you in and thus most of them are not to be trusted, but that doesn't mean you should ignore them if they have a good opportunity.

Our friend in TX wouldn't have bothered posting if he wasn't considering the job.  My advice to him would be to agree to a phone interview with the company and if both sides are still interested, then make the trip to CO.

As for how he found you, that what headhunters do.  He can get your name any number of ways.  Are you mentioned on your company's website?  Do you have colleagues that he might have worked with in the past?  Did you ever post your resume on a job search site?

381977[/snapback]

Very good point. I would also add, (an I'm not sure what you do) that typically the higher up you are/more valuable, the better and more professional the headhunter will be.

Salesman always get the bad rap unfortunately. In the large markets (CA, VA, DC, MA, etc...) there are a ton of them and that's how a lot and I mean a lot of people find jobs. Some are good, some are bad....just don't lump them all together.

I don't think it can hurt to take a look at the opportunity. Given the situation of the company I would however make sure that the reward is well worth the risk. I would also ask them to specifically tell you what goals/objectives they want you to achieve.

I got the same call....was it for a squeegie man at Pandora's Boxxx?

Ask them if it is a salary job or is it based on the amount of squeegies you go through per night?

381960[/snapback]

Curious about your Panorra's Boxxx reference. Is that some strip joint? Used to go to a bar on Main St. in Amherst by that name. Not a strip joint by the way.