WNY on best places to live report

todd

Oh, snap. (I have no idea what that means, but it seems to work here.)

How do you have a median income of $103,000 and a median house price of $1.4M? Apparently they count the servants' income, and that probably skews the numbers a bit. :D

379045[/snapback]

:ph34r::P

Those nannies don't make much while the MILFs are off playing tennis.

:ph34r:  :P

Those nannies don't make much while the MILFs are off playing tennis.

379068[/snapback]

Are those MILFs really off playing tennis, or are they taking advantage of the new trend: The Urban Cougar.

Make sure you check out this month's Cougar of the Month, and troll through the preferred Cougar's Dens. I notice there's nothing in CT, but that's probably because all of Greenwich is a cougar's den. :D

Are those MILFs really off playing tennis, or are they taking advantage of the new trend: The Urban Cougar.

Make sure you check out this month's Cougar of the Month, and troll through the preferred Cougar's Dens. I notice there's nothing in CT, but that's probably because all of Greenwich is a cougar's den. :P

379078[/snapback]

As a single guy in a county FULL of stay-at-home-MILF-while-the-hubby-is-at-the-office-late-or-out-of-town-for-the-week, I don't have any idea what you are talking about. :ph34r:

I was wondering what you were getting at with your thread of questions. As far as I'm concerned, a good education and providing opportunities for our youth is probably the most important thing we can do for the future of this country. I'm not saying we should spend willy-nilly, but having excellent extracurricular programs (not just sports) is a way to have our kids get involved in something that could keep them out of trouble. I don't care if it's sports, music, science geek club, etc., providing these opportunities is essential. I'm willing to pay for that.

Sorry you feel that way about your school system. Fortunately, I haven't had that experience.

The test scores and % of kids going on to college or vocational school in this district is phenominal. Kids being in an envoronment that encourages that type of mentality is awesome. And Brighton isn't a particularly affluent area. Many of the houses are 1500 sq. ft. or so. It's just that the people who choose to live here value the importance of an excellent school system and are willing to pay for it.

What benefit? Athletics have become a snooty, beat-the-daylights-out-of- anybody-else organism in the schools here.  I agree that a decent academc school system is a plus, even for those that pay for it without direct benefit.

I'm tired of school systems saying that athletics builds character - I have a bit of a problem with student's character these days, - cheating, sex, lying etc. - here, we suffer 3 or 4 bond issues every year; the recent school strategy is putting - literallly 1 cent issues on the ballot  because Ohio state law can't touch them for 5 years hence...it's a new strategy, having had their pay raises repetedly rejected.

After 3 failures, my local district was succesful (in a June last year vote) in passing their 300 buck property increase - the result? - even though they are an "acedamically challenged district" - was to sign a contract for 500K for a high school stadium and another $450,000 for "direct payments for teacher incentives".

I can't say about your area, but mine have become the most crass of moneygrabbers.

379036[/snapback]

As a single guy in a county FULL of stay-at-home-MILF-while-the-hubby-is-at-the-office-late-or-out-of-town-for-the-week, I don't have any idea what you are talking about.  <_<

379085[/snapback]

Have you polled your district to know who exactly wants to pay for it? What would you, personally say, to an elder, whose tax bill makes them eschew medication or food. What WOULD you say to them?

Costs have consequences...

East Amherst (my hometown) was also on the list - 41 or something, I think.

378871[/snapback]

East Amherst isn't even a town. It doesn't have it own govt or own school district. It's merely neighborhood of self-impressed, standoff-ish wanna-be bigshots living in over-priced, poorly engineered sinking homes. Because they have a higher socioeconomic quality of life than most in the region, they have managed to get themselves market as some sort of mecca for local residents. It's hardly that.

That list is a joke. Seems that what they've done is merely a poor demographic analysis of rich zip codes throughout the US. My guess is that Census data would show lilly white populations in most of these places consisting of high economic status and white collar professions. However, that doesn't make it a great place to live. They're places where the rich have escaped to a homogenous shangri-la.

I could easily live and fit the profile...... white, masters degree, professional job. But I don't need it to prove to anyone or myself that I've attained something, whatever that something is.

I cry not a single tear for those whose homes are sinking, serves them right for buing homes on swamp land.

But I don't need it to prove to anyone or myself that I've attained something, whatever that something is.

379313[/snapback]

For what its worth you have "attained" my vote for "Bitter Man of the Year" <_<

Have you polled your district to know who exactly wants to pay for it? What would you, personally say, to an elder, whose tax bill makes them eschew medication or food. What WOULD you say to them?

Costs have consequences...

379128[/snapback]

I'd tell them to move somewhere more reasonable. This is America. They are adults. People have choices. Places with high taxes and a good educational system usually also have high property values. They'd probably be able to earn a pretty penny by selling a house in an affluent area. Don't like where you live or can't afford it? Move. It's really quite simple.

It pisses me off that people think the elderly are defenseless and can't make decisions for themselves regarding food, medication, etc. They can. If they can't, they shouldn't be living alone anyway!

Before you continue to grind your ax, I'd like to know how many elderly people are actually in this position.

I'd tell them to move somewhere more reasonable. This is America. They are adults. People have choices. Places with high taxes and a good educational system usually also have high property values. They'd probably be able to earn a pretty penny by selling a house in an affluent area. Don't like where you live or can't afford it? Move. It's really quite simple.

It pisses me off that people think the elderly are defenseless and can't make decisions for themselves regarding food, medication, etc. They can. If they can't, they shouldn't be living alone anyway!

Before you continue to grind your ax, I'd like to know how many elderly people are actually in this position.

379509[/snapback]

What's being missed is the Star program.

If you are 65 years or older, using the property as your primary residence and you make less than 66K per year then you qualify for a decreased amount of school taxes. For example my grandmother is 76 and earns about 40-50K per year and pays $500.00 per year in school taxes while being assessed at nearly 100k.

I've worked with many elderly people who own homes are very few of them pay what most working folks do in school tax. The state does look out for them.