Ahh, so it was Karl Rove....

No, let's give it three more months of constant news coverage.

384581[/snapback]

It's not like there are more important things we could be talking about.

BTW, the big news stories on September 10, 2001 were Chandra Levy and shark attacks.

And now our big stories are this, the missing girl in Aruba, and some shark attacks in Florida.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not like there are more important things we could be talking about.

BTW, the big news stories on September 10, 2001 were Chandra Levy and shark attacks.

And now our big stories are this, the missing girl in Aruba, and some shark attacks in Florida.

384590[/snapback]

Chandra Levy has got to be the most quickly forgotten story to ever make front page above-the-fold headlines.

Not inexplicable, obviously...but it shows what a clean break in public perception 9/11 caused. Just as recent nonsense (the Terry Schiavo death watch, for example), have showed how American cultural inanity has restored itself to 9/10 proportions...

Wow, so Rove set this up just to get the Democrats to jump in and start screaming?  What a genius!  Hey, maybe if they convict him, he could jump up and say that he was just kidding just like on Punk'd or something.  A good sense of humor might be helpful in prison. :doh:

384465[/snapback]

Especially when you're using terms like "punk'd"

Chandra Levy has got to be the most quickly forgotten story to ever make front page above-the-fold headlines.

Not inexplicable, obviously...but it shows what a clean break in public perception 9/11 caused. Just as recent nonsense (the Terry Schiavo death watch, for example), have showed how American cultural inanity has restored itself to 9/10 proportions...

America is nothing, if not resilient...DING!!!

Probably no one here despises (I didn't say "hate", Rich...) "the mainstream media" more than I. Then again, without it we wouldn't have this forum.

384598[/snapback]

That and the Anthrax investigation.

Whatever happened to the Anthrax investigation, was that dropped by just

the media or the Feds too?

That and the Anthrax investigation.

Whatever happened to the Anthrax investigation, was that dropped by just

the media or the Feds too?

384615[/snapback]

Not a bad question. Notice the correllation between dumb headlines vs. talking heads and media emphasis. I've said before, IMO, that the more ANY administration has to defend itself - that's the entire machine - the less resources there are to do the work. Yeah, I know a lot of it gets into lawyers and PR, but we'd be better off without the lawyers and PR.

I'm sort of surprised that someone isn't all over the 1,000 or so pages of recent FBI files on the ACLU and whoever else. Maybe it's not a story? Someone tried to stir it up. Firecracker with a wet fuze? Or, do we drag it out a year from now on a slow news day?

See? There are things beyond Roves.

Its amazing all of the people on here that don't think the Karl Rove case is important.

With the indictments of reporters, newspapers have already been fearful of releasing stories that they describe as important for fear of a grand jury indictment.

The more the press gets prosecuted, the worse off we are. Newspapers are the best and most credible source of media that we have right now, and they provide an important check on the government.

Well as far as spin goes, it seems to me that hte RNC would like to

make this be about Joe Wilson's credibility. It is not. Although he

will not look good when this is done.

The DNC would like to make this be about the President's Credibility.

It is not. Although he won't look good after this is done.

The Procecutor and Grand Jury will see if any laws have been broken.

I wonder if we will get a Perjury charge and a determination that no other

laws have been broken.

I wonder if anyone cares? You think Wilson and the Mrs. do? They're loving it.

KA-CHING!!!

Much more than their allotted 15 minutes. Yes, Bluefire...in the grand scheme of things this is a non-story.

But, being the paranoid conspiracy theorist everyone knows I am...Lewinsky had everyone totally distracted from China. Fell off the radar. What are the Bush gang up to? Hmmm? Could this latest non-issue fiasco have presented some opportunity to slide some stuff around without "the press" getting involved?

Hmmm.

I wonder if anyone cares? You think Wilson and the Mrs. do? They're loving it.

KA-CHING!!!

Much more than their allotted 15 minutes. Yes, Bluefire...in the grand scheme of things this is a non-story.

But, being the paranoid conspiracy theorist everyone knows I am...Lewinsky had everyone totally distracted from China. Fell off the radar. What are the Bush gang up to? Hmmm? Could this latest non-issue fiasco have presented some opportunity to slide some stuff around without "the press" getting involved?

Hmmm.

385456[/snapback]

No, in the grand scheme of things, this isn't a non-story from the point of view of the press, and most citizens. The ramifications on the press and the possible consequences (in regards to say, another watergate, and having reporters scared to get prosecuted for something like that) DOES make it a story.

The only way this isn't a non-story is if you don't care about the press being the 4th estate.

No, in the grand scheme of things, this isn't a non-story from the point of view of the press, and most citizens.  The ramifications on the press and the possible consequences (in regards to say, another watergate, and having reporters scared to get prosecuted for something like that) DOES make it a story.

The only way this isn't a non-story is if you don't care about the press being the 4th estate.

385485[/snapback]

Wow, that was easy. No, I don't care about the fourth estate. They have long since proven their unworth, and worse, their danger.

OK, dismantle the executive branch of the government over this. You win. The biggest crisis since the asteroid hit 65 million years ago.

Wow, that was easy. No, I don't care about the fourth estate. They have long since proven their unworth, and worse, their danger.

They do have a danger, but they also have proven that they are an important fabric of our government and an important check on governmental power. They are also extremely important in the conveyence of information to voters.

I would expect a guy that works for the government to not like a check on his power. :doh:

OK, dismantle the executive branch of the government over this. You win. The biggest crisis since the asteroid hit 65 million years ago.

385533[/snapback]

You're taking this way too far. I have not once advocated for Karl Rove to be fired, and I don't think he should be. In fact, I think the whole Karl Rove side of this case is a non-story like you said. The part that is a story is forcing Matt Cooper and Judith Miller to reveal their anonymous sources or go to jail. This is where the check on governmental powers come into play.

I know you probably don't like the media and anonymous sources, especially after the Newsweek incident, but I still view it as a necessary evil for a check on governmental power in this country, especially with pretty secretive administrations (which does add to the misinformation).

The part that is a story is forcing Matt Cooper and Judith Miller to reveal their anonymous sources or go to jail.  This is where the check on governmental powers come into play.

385590[/snapback]

Of course, that's the part that gets the least coverage in the media, as well.

I mean, God forbid the press should cover the important constitutional and legal issues revolving around the the Miller and Cooper subpoena's and contempt charges. Their time's much better spent reporting the latest rumor of who told who what in which email...

Of course, that's the part that gets the least coverage in the media, as well. 

I mean, God forbid the press should cover the important constitutional and legal issues revolving around the the Miller and Cooper subpoena's and contempt charges.  Their time's much better spent reporting the latest rumor of who told who what in which email...

385723[/snapback]

It seems to me that is because they really have zero idea what that is all about. There aren't even any plausible rumors. I have seen several lawyers and pundits and analysts just shaking their head and saying "I have no idea what is going on with that."

It seems to me that is because they really have zero idea what that is all about. There aren't even any plausible rumors. I have seen several lawyers and pundits and analysts just shaking their head and saying "I have no idea what is going on with that."

385733[/snapback]

I agree, actually.

But it still doesn't excuse bull sh-- reporting. Explain it, maybe, but not excuse it.