Laser eye surgery

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do your own research and LOTS OF IT!!!! Talk to people you know who have had the procedure done. If you lived in the Twin Cities, I'd give a recommendation (the wife of one of my coworkers had it done). You don't want to make the wrong choice of doctors in this case...

CW

Talk with an eye doctor that in no way can benefit from you having surgery or not having surgery. See what he says. I work at a large company who has their own internal eye doctors. This person has nothing to gain or lose financially to me and he says don't do it! Still way to risky.

I've decided to take the plunge and get corrective surgery for my eyes.  Dose anybody have any suggestions about where I should get it done?

372293[/snapback]

There was a few threads within the last year about this detox. I think Mickey had one. Some pretty good info, pro's and cons. Good luck, sniper boy :doh:

I've had the procedure and at least from my own standpoint I'd tell you to be aware of a couple things that won't be stressed by the facility who is looking to do it-

A) You WILL lose peripheral vision, the more your correction the more you'll lose.

B) You WILL suffer some loss of low light sensitivity. I definitely have a NOTICABLE loss of night sensitivity.

C) I read a lot for work and personally. I was not warned that my reading without any lenses from the day after the surgery would cause me to end up with a fine ability to read without glasses but sacrifice some of my long range correction over the first couple months (and of course permanently) . They offered some hokey option to have "one eye set fotr reading and the other for distance" which sounded worse than where I started, but in the long run it appears to me that they right now are only capable of getting you good on one or the other.

However if you do it, come down this way. 

Dr. Mark Whitten, Rockville, Md.

He is the guy who did Tiger Woods surgery.  I think if a guy making 50 million per year trusts him, he might do an okay job for you.  Probably worth the 20 in gas, and 10 in hotel fees for a night. 

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_..._53/ai_86204880

372299[/snapback]

My wife had it done by him....highly recommend him.

I've decided to take the plunge and get corrective surgery for my eyes.  Dose anybody have any suggestions about where I should get it done?

372293[/snapback]

I had my mine done by Fichte Eye Associates in Amherst (where many of the Bills players have gone, BTW) a couple of years ago and remain very happy with the results.

http://www.wedg.com/fichte.html

http://www2.buffalobills.com/fans/index.cfm?cont_id=205404

There are a couple of things to consider though:

1.) If you're over 40 years old, you may still need reading glasses, so don't think of lasik as "giving up glasses forever." Check with your doctor to see if this applies in your case.

2.) You may be marginally more sensitive to light for about a year. Just wear your sunglasses to cut down on glare.

The biggest benefit of the surgery, IMO, is having the ability to be more active without worrying about/needing glasses. I'm constantly amazed at being able to see things perfectly when I'm swimming, sweating, etc. (after 30 years of being half blind doing those things).

Do your research and talk to as many people as possible. If you go for it, don't use a chain or low cost place, spend the extra bucks to go with a doctor that has a lot of experience and the latest equipment. Good luck.

If you go for it, don't use a chain or low cost place, spend the extra bucks to go with a doctor that has a lot of experience and the latest equipment.

Regarding cost (because everyone here knows I'm cheap... :( ), if your employer lets you have a Flex Spending account, and you don't have one now, it might be a good idea to wait and have it done early next year. You can generally only open them at the beginning of the year, but they allow you to take money out of your check (up to $3,000) to put into a medical fund, all tax free. I knew I had some dental work that needed to be done this year, so had $3,000 taken out which amkes it only ~$2,000 out of pokcet. Since you'll probably be spending $2,000 on the eyes, it's probably worth it.

CW

What could possibly be wrong with the do one eye, get the second half off deal?  :(

372341[/snapback]

At the one near me, they run monthly question and answer, demos on the surgery. They pick one name from the hat each month and that person get a free surgery. I am sure they do a great job too. :doh:

Don't !@#$ with your eyes.

372294[/snapback]

I've regretted getting it done... not a single friggin' day. It is a friggin' miracle. Went from 20/infinity to 20/15. It's still amazing just to be able to read the time on the damn clock from bed, and that's 4 years later.

I will say this: My eyes were ultrasensitive, I had to down about 3 valiums at the clinic. Afterward on the ride home I had my head wrapped in a jacket and any photon of light that happened to get through caused hot-poker type pain. I was already prepared to dope out and take a nap, I just didnt know it was gonna be in the closet. Six hours later, damned if I wasn't watching the Sabres game from the kitchen, lens-free.

Bright lights at night are a little haloed, but nothing more than I already got from glasses, and you get used to it. I did experince a decrease in night differentiation that some have mentioned. But for me, playing sports, my peripheral vision is actually effectively BETTER because I'm not limited to the lens of the glasses.

So, for me, $3K and an hour or so of searing pain was the smallest possible price to pay for the benefit.

No regrets.

For those who did it: what was the total cost?

Plus, I'm a wuss about medical stuff, did it hurt?  Recovery time?

372364[/snapback]

About 3K. It was almost indescribably painful until I took a nap. Then when I got up 6 hours later my eyes were watering a bunch but not painful. I drove to the eye doc for a checkup the next morning, back to sports within 2 weeks, and after a couple of months you're pretty much good to go.

Absolutely, totally, completely was worth it, even with the caveat that my eyes are touchier than almost anyone elses, and consequently more painful after the procedure. (I couldn't even do contacts, they would just itch and tear up until I wanted to carve them out with a grapefruit spoon.)