Who's seen War of the Worlds?

saw this today w/ my wife.  entertaining, but overall an average movie.  not even close to batman begins.  they did a good job of keeping it "scary" throughout but i never found myself really caring about cruise's character or his troubled relationship w/ his kids.

My wife and I went to the drive-in last night to see War of the Worlds and Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

I'd agree with your assessment of the movie. I didn't care about Cruise's character or the kids. And frankly, if they would've died in the first 10 minutes, the movie would've ended exactly the same way. The character had no impact on the plot at all (except for the plot of getting the kid home)

The special effects were cool, but the movie was dull.

We also saw Mr. and Mrs. Smith at the drive-in. I was looking forward to it, as the previews looked funny. Unfortunately, the movie was pretty lame too. :huh:

We didn't stay for Amnityville Horror -- we wouldn't have gotten home until around 4:30am if we had.

with respect to "alien invasion" movies, independence day is still much better, IMO.

373880[/snapback]

"V" and (to a lesser extent), "V:The Final Battle" blow Independence Day out of the water.

CW

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"V" and (to a lesser extent), "V:The Final Battle" blow Independence Day out of the water.

CW

374000[/snapback]

i really liked V as well, but there was something a little hokey about it. we're all entitled to our opinions, but i liked independence day as a 2-hour story about fighting the alien invaders.

One other thing from WotW that made no sense:

MINOR SPOILER ALERT

When the aliens are shooting down the EMP pulses, shutting down all the electronics in the city... First, Tom Cruise's wristwatch stopped working (it didn't look electronic to me). Second, every single car in the city stopped (trying to tell me there were no cars from the 80s in the city?). And third (and most blatant), some guy was using his video camera to record the Striders (aka: tripods)! How the hell was his camcorder working?!?!

Oh well...

CW

One other thing from WotW that made no sense:

MINOR SPOILER ALERT

When the aliens are shooting down the EMP pulses, shutting down all the electronics in the city...  First, Tom Cruise's wristwatch stopped working (it didn't look electronic to me).  Second, every single car in the city stopped (trying to tell me there were no cars from the 80s in the city?).  And third (and most blatant), some guy was using his video camera to record the Striders (aka: tripods)!  How the hell was his camcorder working?!?!

Oh well...

CW

374190[/snapback]

I noticed that myself. And how about the TV crew he encounters? They were showing him footage they shot, but they shouldn't have been able to even get that footage.

My wife and I went to the drive-in last night to see War of the Worlds and Mr. and Mrs. Smith. - Fezmid

I'm just jelous of the fac that you got to see it at a DRIVE-IN!!!!

My wife and I went to the drive-in last night to see War of the Worlds and Mr. and Mrs. Smith. - Fezmid

374387[/snapback]

Me too. If it comes up at a drive-in or Imax, I'm going to go see it.

Right now, they all have SW, Batman, and something stupid up.

374387[/snapback]

Yeah, drive-ins are pretty cool; it's sad that there aren't many left in the country :)

If you're in Minnesota, here's the theater:

http://www.drive-ins.com/detail/mntvali

It's right off of I-94 in Lake Elmo (just east of Woodbury).

You can even bing a Weber grill and tailgate before the movies which is pretty cool. :huh:

CW

Yeah, drive-ins are pretty cool; it's sad that there aren't many left in the country :)

You can even bing a Weber grill and tailgate before the movies which is pretty cool. :huh:

CW

374392[/snapback]

In Chicago suburbs, there is one 2 minutes from my house. Cascade Drive-in. Great location for me.

Yeah, drive-ins are pretty cool; it's sad that there aren't many left in the country :(

You can even bing a Weber grill and tailgate before the movies which is pretty cool. ;)

CW

374392[/snapback]

There's two within an easy drive from Syracuse....

Midway Drive In, between Oswego and Fulton. $6/adult on the weekends will get you three movies.

West Rome Drive In, with two screens.

Here is a good link to the story about the original radio broadcast as well as the entire show from WKBW in Buffalo that I listened to as a young'un.  ;)

LOTS of very good material here!

WOTW

374528[/snapback]

I remember the WKBW broadcast...if I recall correctly, Grand Island was attacked.

The film was awesome, and stayed pretty true to the book.

371593[/snapback]

;)

True to the book? The movie was about a working class, dead beat dad trying to salvage his relationship with his children during an alien invasion.

The book was about a scientist running around London during an alien invasion.

The movie was alright, not great. I expected more. Essentially it was two movies in one and niether had a totally satisfying conclusion. Something was lacking but I can't put my finger on it.

I would rank WOTW behind Crash, Batman, Episode III and Cinderella Man for this summer season.

True to the book? The movie was about a working class, dead beat dad trying to salvage his relationship with his children during an alien invasion.

374551[/snapback]

So the setting was changed, and the actual person's point of view, but other than that, it was pretty true to the book. At least a whole hell of a lot truer than most book to film adaptions we see.

;)

The movie was alright, not great. I expected more. Essentially it was two movies in one and niether had a totally satisfying conclusion. Something was lacking but I can't put my finger on it.

I would rank WOTW behind Crash, Batman, Episode III and Cinderella Man for this summer season.

374551[/snapback]

Evidently, Cinderella Man was disappointing - the moviehouse chain AMC is offering refunds.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/06/...inderella.reut/

So the setting was changed, and the actual person's point of view, but other than that, it was pretty true to the book.  At least a whole hell of a lot truer than most book to film adaptions we see.

374561[/snapback]

;):(:lol: Classic!

BTW, where IS Jeff these days? :)

Box office RETURNS are disappointing, if that's what you meant.  The movie is supposed to be excellent.  The refunds is just a gimmick to get people to see the movie, but it's not working.

374565[/snapback]

Supposed and actual are different things...