Oh, this is nice....real nice!!!

CentralVaBills

Because the release of the Cardinals' World Series title DVD is imminent...

852522[/snapback]

I heard Pujols was crying because Philly's Howard won the MVP, and Albert thinks a player on a playoff team should win it....Like say, for example, someone like Albert Pujols.

I heard Pujols was crying because Philly's Howard won the MVP, and Albert thinks a player on a playoff team should win it....Like say, for example, someone like Albert Pujols.

852541[/snapback]

I saw that sht too....Nice how he chose to ignore that with less talent and playing in a harder division, Philadelphia won more games than St. Louis.

Not saying that Pujols was a bad candidate...I thought Howard was the better choice, but it could have gone either way. But if the Cards had missed the playoffs, my thoughts wouldn't change.

852541[/snapback]

I saw that sht too....Nice how he chose to ignore that with less talent and playing in a harder division, Philadelphia won more games than St. Louis.

Not saying that Pujols was a bad candidate...I thought Howard was the better choice, but it could have gone either way.  But if the Cards had missed the playoffs, my thoughts wouldn't change.

852584[/snapback]

IMHO Pujols deserved the MVP but I can see why Howard won the award; and I don't like that Pujols came out and said he was snubbed but here is an interesting tidbit from a local columnist (of course, it goes without saying this should be taken with a grain of salt as it was written by a local Saint Louis writer)..........

Here's why Pujols was the MVP:

— If you want to use the more traditional statistics, Pujols was the only hitter in the NL to finish in the top five in average (3rd), homers (2nd), RBIs (2nd), runs (5th), on-base percentage (1st), slugging percentage (1st), and batting average with runners in scoring position (1st).

— If you want to use sabermetrics, Pujols was first in the NL in Value Over Replacement, first in Win Shares, first in Equivalent Average, first in Runs Created, first in Win Probability Added.

— If you want to zero in on clutch hitting, Pujols led the NL with a .397 batting average with runners in scoring position. Howard ranked 51st in the NL with a .256 average with runners in scoring position. With runners in scoring position and two out, Pujols hit a preposterous .435. Howard batted .247.

— If you want to downgrade Pujols because the Cardinals struggled in September, then I would simply ask why this should be held against him. In the final month, Pujols batted .372 with 10 homers and 28 RBIs. In the final week of the regular season, Pujols batted .370 with four homers and eight RBIs. And if I'm not mistaken, Philadelphia was in strong position to win the wild card, only to go 3-4 in the final week.

— Pujols was the NL's best defensive first baseman. In the Baseball Prospectus defensive-rating stat, Fielding Runs Above Replacement, Pujols was a plus 25. Howard was a minus 5.

— Pujols finished eighth in the NL in extra bases taken as a runner; he would have rated even higher on the chart had he not missed nearly three weeks with a strained oblique.

— If you want to say that Howard "carried" the Phillies' lineup, then I must simply ask why is it that two of Howard's lineup mates received MVP votes? Philly second baseman Chase Utley finished eighth overall in the voting and was named on 26 of 32 ballots. Phillies shortstop Jimmy Rollins also received a ninth-place vote. No other Cardinals position player received a vote. So how can anyone possibly argue that Howard carried the Phillies more than Pujols carried the injury-ravaged Cardinals?

— Pujols hit 49 homers and drove in 137 runs. Howard is the undisputed HR champion, and we salute him. But what about RBIs? The voters love RBIs. And Howard had 149 RBIs, 12 more than Pujols. But let's look beneath the surface numbers. Howard had more RBIs than Pujols for an obvious reason: He had more RBI opportunities. Howard had 358 plate appearances with runners on base; Pujols had 301 plate appearances with runners on base. The Phillies had 509 runners on base for Howard's at-bats; the Cardinals had 429 runners on base for Pujols' at-bats. Howard had 164 at-bats with runners in scoring position; Pujols had 126 at-bats with runners in scoring position. And despite having 38 fewer at bats in those situations, Pujols actually drove in more runs than Howard, 88-83.

-- As we said, Howard is the HR champ. But since we're counting them all, don't forget that Pujols swatted a major-league record 20 game-winning homers this season, the most since Willie Mays had 19 in 1962. (Howard had nine game-winning HRs).

-- Colleague Rick Hummel points out that Pujols had 25 homers and 65 RBIs through May 31 to push the Cardinals to 15 games over .500. Howard received many deserved kudos for leading the Phillies in August and September, but unless MLB changed the rules, I believe that games played in April and May also count in the standings.

Again, this is no outrage. Howard had a monster season. A rising star who hits 58 homers and knocks in 149 RBIs doesn't have to apologize for winning the MVP.

But many years from now, when perplexed baseball historians look back on all of Pujols' second-place finishes, they might wonder if the baseball writers owe Pujols an apology.

Pujols taking it back? I don't think it was that big of a deal to begin with, but I really can't possibly see how what he says now makes sense.

Pujols

"I never said he didn't deserve the MVP. He is deserving of that award."

vs. one week ago:

"I see it this way: Someone who doesn't take his team to the playoffs doesn't deserve to win the MVP."

I think he was just trying to go back on it. If he had been healthy all year, he would have won.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Well it's been five years since I was banned from this forum. Relax I'm not here to stir the pot. I was a very immature 25 year old at that time and while I still have my moments I have actually gotten married and have a family now. I've lurked here ever since the banishment because I did meet some people here that were really good to me despite how I acted most of the time. I haven't talked to many of them in five years. I read threads like this and I have to admit I would have made fun of some of my stupidity too.

Yes I realize Ron Artest is a moron and shouldn't have beaten down the fans in Detroit and got what he deserved. But I still think the Cardinals are the greatest and I'm glad they validated me with that World Series win in 2006. Ironically I thought of the TBD community that night knowing that you would all be posting about me in the baseball forum and I was right. What can I say, it is nice to be a legend. I see I even have a spin off name on here. Very tough to attain that kind of infamy on any message board.

To those of you I truly offended and agitated all those years ago I just wanted to apologize. I'm a better, wiser, and more mature person now. I don't plan to post here but I just thought I should acknowledge what I did at some point.

And sadly while I have changed over the last five years, the fortunes of our beloved Bills have not. I pray we get Cowher.

The One, The Only,

BF_in_Indiana

Well it's been five years since I was banned from this forum. Relax I'm not here to stir the pot. I was a very immature 25 year old at that time and while I still have my moments I have actually gotten married and have a family now. I've lurked here ever since the banishment because I did meet some people here that were really good to me despite how I acted most of the time. I haven't talked to many of them in five years. I read threads like this and I have to admit I would have made fun of some of my stupidity too.

Yes I realize Ron Artest is a moron and shouldn't have beaten down the fans in Detroit and got what he deserved. But I still think the Cardinals are the greatest and I'm glad they validated me with that World Series win in 2006. Ironically I thought of the TBD community that night knowing that you would all be posting about me in the baseball forum and I was right. What can I say, it is nice to be a legend. I see I even have a spin off name on here. Very tough to attain that kind of infamy on any message board.

To those of you I truly offended and agitated all those years ago I just wanted to apologize. I'm a better, wiser, and more mature person now. I don't plan to post here but I just thought I should acknowledge what I did at some point.

And sadly while I have changed over the last five years, the fortunes of our beloved Bills have not. I pray we get Cowher.

The One, The Only,

BF_in_Indiana

An hour??? :huh: