Question about Jeff Burris

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050...?tbd1013709.asp

My memories are foggy...Jeff Burris left the Bills as a free agent to play for the Colts, right?  Didn't he also has some unflattering things to say about the team after he left, or am I thinking of another DB?

PTR

370592[/snapback]

I always thought Burris was one of the most polished guys that played for the Bills during that era. I doubt he's spout off, but I'll Google around a bit.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050...?tbd1013709.asp

My memories are foggy...Jeff Burris left the Bills as a free agent to play for the Colts, right?  Didn't he also has some unflattering things to say about the team after he left, or am I thinking of another DB?

PTR

370592[/snapback]

You must be thinking of someone else. I found this on the Buffalo News archive:

AULD ACQUAINTANCES WILL BE FORGOT WHEN BURRIS FACES BILLS

Otober 11, 1998

By MIKE CHAPPELL

Regardless of what happens today in the RCA Dome, Jeff Burris wants the Buffalo Bills to know one thing: It won't be personal.

Since signing in February, Burris has been stationed at left cornerback for the Indianapolis Colts. He has brought veteran leadership and dependability to one of the team's more volatile positions. But when Burris steps on the field this afternoon, he'll do so against a team that brought him into the National Football League.

He remains close to many of the Bills...(have to pay to get the rest of the article!)

Jeff loved the Bills and for the sake of family took the HUGE contract with the Colts. At that time the Bills could not even come close to the offer.

I have so many fond memories of Jeff. Drew's first interception was to Jeff and I was given the ball by Jeff after the game. It still has the trainers tape and the markings on it.

Jeff married a Buffalo girl and they come to visit family in WNY all the time. I'm just very, very happy that I'll have the chance to see him at the games

Jeff loved the Bills and for the sake of family took the HUGE contract with the Colts.  At that time the Bills could not even come close to the offer.

I have so many fond memories of Jeff.  Drew's first interception was to Jeff and I was given the ball by Jeff after the game.  It still has the trainers tape and the markings on it.

Jeff married a Buffalo girl and they come to visit family in WNY all the time.  I'm just very, very happy that I'll have the chance to see him at  the games

370726[/snapback]

Its strange they didn't move back here. At least as of last year he was living in Indianapolis as his child went to school with one of my friends' children at a private school in Indy.

His wife was working on her degree, kids were in school. Even when he played for the Bengals they lived outside Indy and he drove back and forth

Jeff loved the Bills and for the sake of family took the HUGE contract with the Colts.  At that time the Bills could not even come close to the offer.

I have so many fond memories of Jeff.  Drew's first interception was to Jeff and I was given the ball by Jeff after the game.  It still has the trainers tape and the markings on it.

Jeff married a Buffalo girl and they come to visit family in WNY all the time.  I'm just very, very happy that I'll have the chance to see him at  the games

370726[/snapback]

Why is it that through two administrations at onebillsdrive, we cannot keep our Corners? Just curious as it seems every one that performs well we lose, or is it just me. Started with Odomes, to Burriss, to Winfield, now Clements might bolt after the season. Any quesses as to why this is?

Why is it that through two administrations at onebillsdrive, we cannot keep our Corners? Just curious as it seems every one that performs well we lose, or is it just me. Started with Odomes, to Burriss, to Winfield, now Clements might bolt after the season. Any quesses as to why this is?

370755[/snapback]

You forgot Thomas Smith.

370755[/snapback]

$$$$!!!!

Do you really think Burris was worth $20 million over 5-years? I think history proved the Bills made the right choice.

Burris was a nice player, but there's no way he should have made more money eight years ago that Nate Clements earned in 2004.

$$$$!!!!

Do you really think Burris was worth $20 million over 5-years?  I think history proved the Bills made the right choice. 

Burris was a nice player, but there's no way he should have made more money eight years ago that Nate Clements earned in 2004.

370787[/snapback]

Well, you need to caompare their rookie contracts, and then the contract Nate will get either this year(hopefully) or next <_<

Just seems like DB is such a hard position to fill, and we seem to have more turnover there than in any other position on the team.

Well, you need to caompare their rookie contracts, and then the contract Nate will get either this year(hopefully) or next <_<

370796[/snapback]

Well, that's how the Bills have historically handled it. Rather than pay $20 million to Burris, they drafted Thomas Smith and kept him until FA made him too expensive. Then they drafted Winfield, and did the same thing. And then Nate...

The Bills have been very good at drafting CBs since the mid-1990s. With the giant signing bonuses free agent corners are getting nowadays, they better hope their good luck continues.

370755[/snapback]

CB's have made out in free agency ever since its inception. The Bills trend is similar to plenty of other teams who decided to draft top CB's every couple years rather then drastically overpay the position.

Besides I think it's a strategy that has worked out rather well for the Bills since the early 90's. Odoms, Smith, and Burris all played well below their past levels, and certainly below their contract levels. Winfield is still playing well but with a Bills defense seeking more INT's and an inflated contract we decided to not resign him.

As for Nate I really think the Bills get him locked up before the season starts. The Bills under the TD era don't have a history of paying out enormous FA contracts. TKO is the only player that got a huge payday, Milloy got payed well but even including those two guys we have yet to see a Daniel Snyder like FA contract. When you combine that with the fact that we did not draft a corner very high up this year we really don't have a ton of options if Clements walks.

This lack of planning would lead me to believe we get Nate locked up before he hits the market.

CB's have made out in free agency ever since its inception. The Bills trend is similar to plenty of other teams who decided to draft top CB's every couple years rather then drastically overpay the position. 

Besides I think it's a strategy that has worked out rather well for the Bills since the early 90's. Odoms, Smith, and Burris all played well below their past levels, and certainly below their contract levels. Winfield is still playing well but with a Bills defense seeking more INT's and an inflated contract we decided to not resign him.

As for Nate I really think the Bills get him locked up before the season starts. The Bills under the TD era don't have a history of paying out enormous FA contracts.  TKO is the only player that got a huge payday, Milloy got payed well but even including those two guys we have yet to see a Daniel Snyder like FA contract. When you combine that with the fact that we did not draft a corner very high up this year we really don't have a ton of options if Clements walks.

This lack of planning would lead me to believe we get Nate locked up before he hits the market.

370937[/snapback]

All good points, I think he gets done one way or the other as well

Burris played during the Lou Holtz era at Notre Dame.

370784[/snapback]

Speaking of Lou Holtz, I saw him three days ago at an LPL Convention in San Diego. He didn't drink nor eat but just walked through the crowd and talked to people. It was different in that he would continuously have a semi-circle of people around him with everybody just listening while Lou flowed from story to story. I couldn't get close enough to hear much of what he was saying but he was going on quite a bit about the big crowds at SEC games. I wanted to ask him what he thought about the controversial call in the Miami-Ohio State National Championship. He is from Ohio and coached one year for Woody Hayes among other schools. I could just imagine Holtz blowing his top if some referee had told him (as they did in that game) that he had delayed making his call because he was replaying it in his mind! Holtz produced everywhere he coached except with the Jets (no big loss).

As for Burris, the Bills were lucky to have him. The problem is as we well know, once you start winning and/or the players start producing quality stats, the best players start asking for more $$$$$$$. So the current squad better win fast as come one year from now, the Bills will be paying notes and they will be losing stars. Assuming they do some winning...