Origin of your Bills obsession

I think the majority of this forum's members are former Buffalonians or come from a family native to WNY.

After reading the column about the UK fan who is starting a backers chapter, it got me thinking about the non-Buffalonians who adopt the Bills as their team.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3237

As a young kid growing up in suburban Buffalo, I was exposed to live Bills games at an impressionable age. The contagious atmosphere of Bills football had me hooked before OJ was ever fitted for a USC Trojan helmet. This is not an unfamilar beginning for many of us. Who can ever forget the first exposure to the sights, sounds, and smells when walking into the old Rockpile or shiny new Rich Stadium?

Had I not grown up around the Bills, it's unlikely I would have become a fan of the team. I'm always facinated by the idea that someone unfamilar to Buffalo, or in the case of the guy from the UK, unfamilar with American football, becomes enamored with our Bills.

Soooo....this question is intended only for those who have no Buffalo or Western New York connection....How did you happen to become a Bills fan? What's the story behind it?

Recovering jest fan here, born and raised in Queens (home of Shea). When the jests left for NJ, my response was "good riddance" and I never looked back.

At this point, if the jests moved back to NYC, it would not sway me one iota. At the risk of sounding trite, I believe that being a Bills Fan is about more than just the team. Imo, it is also about never giving up, loyalty, and a reigon full of nice people and great fans.

Being a Bills Fan is part of my identity to those who know me, and I am proud to have been accepted as a true fan of this team and reigon on TBD.

That UK Bills fan is me...

369445[/snapback]

Well good morning then mate...er rather, good afternoon.

So was your first game in Orchard Park everything you hoped it would be?

As an honorary Buffalonian, here's some other customized questions for you:

Have you tried Buffalo style chicken wings? If so, did you like them?

Did you go to the Broadway market in Buffalo and ask for bangers as you pointed at the Kielbasa?

Did you wear your "Wellies" to the December game?

Were you the guy supplying Princess Di with cocaine?

Do you know what disaster occured in New York City on September 11?*

*trick question - the answer is the first ever Bills loss (1960)

Have you ever walked across or been photographed at the famous Abbey Road crossing stipes?

What's up with all the bad teeth in England?

OK now.... you can go back to your bacon butties and tea.

Hope to meet you at the season opener.

Well good morning then mate...er rather, good afternoon. Afternoon... NOW!

So was your first game in Orchard Park everything you hoped it would be? I was in Orchard Park in 1997 to see a game against Denver... It was awesome. I didn't get the full tailgate experience until the 2nd time I came, and again with pinto Ron for the Miami game I visited.

As an honorary Buffalonian, here's some other customized questions for you:

Have you tried Buffalo style chicken wings? If so, did you like them? Yes and Yes. A bar downton. I went with HOT and they nearly took the roof of my mouth off! Have you ever had a Vindaloo?

Did you go to the Broadway market in Buffalo and ask for bangers as you pointed at the Kielbasa? It wan't open :lol:

Did you wear your "Wellies" to the December game? :D

Were you the guy supplying Princess Di with cocaine? <_<

Do you know what disaster occured in New York City on September 11?*

*trick question - the answer is the first ever Bills loss (1960) I joined TSW

Have you ever walked across or been photographed at the famous Abbey Road crossing stipes? Yup. And cos I live in London I can go there whenever I want...

What's up with all the bad teeth in England? That's a myth. But Dentistry over here was always paid for by the cheapo national health service, so you got a bad job when you went, or nowadays if you go private you have to auction half of your teeth to be able to afford it. Insurance for thart sort of thing isn't widespread yet.

OK now.... you can go back to your bacon butties and tea. MMMMM I need a cuppa actually!

I grew up a Browns fan in pre-Bills WNY, but became a Bills fan as soon as they came to town. Their first year I would go to East Aurora and watch summer camp on the polo fields of the Knox Estate. I loved Elbert "Golden Wheels" Dubenion.

My name is Billy and I have been living on Long Island my whole life. Always hated the Jets. I became a Bills fan because of my Dad. While growing up he always said to me the Bills are the only true New York team. I then began to follow them and watched Jim Kelly play and was amazed. Kelly, Bruce, Thurman and Andre were amazing to watch. I really started following them in 1988 and never looked back. I am a true diehard fan and go up to Buffalo at least once a year. My first game was at the stadium was the 1994 AFC Championship game. The is the greatest game I have been to so far.

I think the majority of this forum's members are former Buffalonians or come from a family native to WNY.

After reading the column about the UK fan who is starting a backers chapter, it got me thinking about the non-Buffalonians who adopt the Bills as their team.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3237

As a young kid growing up in suburban Buffalo, I was exposed to live Bills games at an impressionable age. The contagious atmosphere of Bills football had me hooked before OJ was ever fitted for a USC Trojan helmet. This is not an unfamilar beginning for many of us. Who can ever forget the first exposure to the sights, sounds, and smells when walking into the old Rockpile or shiny new Rich Stadium?

Had I not grown up around the Bills, it's unlikely I would have become a fan of the team. I'm always facinated by the idea that someone unfamilar to Buffalo, or in the case of the guy from the UK, unfamilar with American football, becomes enamored with our Bills.

Soooo....this question is intended only for those who have no Buffalo or Western New York connection....How did you happen to become a Bills fan? What's the story behind it?

369442[/snapback]

Growing up about 1 hr. away from Ottawa, Canada I never was supposed to be anything but a hockey fan like all my friends at school, and if I was to follow football at all, I was surely to be a CFL fan not an NFL one! Well quite frankly, I never was like anyone else when it came to my likes and dislikes about sports, movies, etc. At the tender age of ten or eleven I can remember turning the channel to the global network (1 of 4 stations we had to choose from back then) and there before my eyes were the Buffalo Bills, the indescribable sights and sounds of the game, the hard running and fast pace of it all vs. the 2 downs and punt the ball away style of the CFL that I was used to had me immediately hooked. I couldn't tell you one single player back then or if they had a winning team that year, to me it didn't matter. It was around 1980 so I don't think they were very good! I just thank God that I was able to watch the arrival of Kelly, Reed, Thomas, Smith and co. I am disappointed to add that as I sit here at the age of 36, I've never been to Buffalo to watch a live game but know that I have cheered just as loudly and hurt just as deeply for this teams' successess and failures as you all have, and I will continue to do so each season, and when our beloved Bills finally do win the Superbowl as I know in my heart they will, I will get in my truck and drive to Orchard Park, NY and celebrate just as loudly and drunkenly as every poster and die-hard fan on this board! Go BILLS Go! <_<

i grew up in the Cooperstown NY area and most of the time on Sunday the choice was the Jets or the Giants on local TV. (if you recall, there was no cable TV back in the early 70's <_< )

so i was a Jets fan early, watching Joe Namath because my dad liked watching Joe.

this was back when i was like 8 years old.

Then one wintery Sunday afternoon, the Bills played the Jets and i remeber watching OJ Simpson run the football.....i have a distinct memory of the announcers making a big deal about the first running back to ever run for 2000 yards in a season. i was hooked and have been a Bills fan ever since.

I grew up in Fredonia, home of the Bills' training camp till the late 90s. Chuck Knox stopped by and talked to me in his go-kart when I was a toddler. Later on, Butch Rolle threw me a football. All my heroes signed my trading cards. My dad and I would scope out the rookies and free agents and make bets on who would and wouldn't make the cut. Even Bruce making a break for it every time to avoid autographs and publicity (when he eventually made it to camp) is a fun memory, even if he never signed for me. I knew he was one of the best.

The Bills are pretty much inseparable from my youth, and even though they left to train at SJF, they are my hometown team. I enjoy a lot of other sports, but I don't care about another franchise or single athlete the way I do about the Bills.

edit: sorry for not reading the inital disclaimer about non-WNY folks. But like many here I left WNY for greener employment pastures.

Think for most people that are outside of Buffalo it would be purely who was on the TV most often. I am 42, and can actually remember rooting for the Chiefs as they were on TV in Buffalo more than the Bills were. Didn't have enough cash to go to the home games. Certainly remember watching with all the men the Christmas day Dolphins-Chiefs playoff game