Interesting KFFL Notes & Opinions

NFL | Big Money Not There for Boulware

Fri, 24 Jun 2005 19:12:13 -0700

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports free agent LB Peter Boulware (Ravens) is struggling to get an offer in excess of $1 million in the post-May free agency market. Reportedly, some teams remained concerned with Boulware's health. Boulware hasn't played in more than a year due to knee and toe injuries.

NFL | Verba Receiving Minimum Salary Offers

Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:52:46 -0700

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports free agent OT Ross Verba (Browns) has suggested he wants a contract worth $6-7 million per year, but has seen only minimum-salary offers so far.

Texans | Still Trying to Land Verba?

Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:36:50 -0700

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports the Houston Texans remain interested in free agent OT Ross Verba (Browns), but are unwilling to offer more than a one-year contract to the offensive tackle. As reported, Verba has said he's seeking a five-year contract worth in the neighborhood of $37.5 million.

Lions | Unlikely to Sign Law

Fri, 24 Jun 2005 10:22:08 -0700

FOXSports.com reports while Detroit Lions team president Matt Millen would still like to sign free agent CB Ty Law (Patriots), the Lions could only afford him at a low price, which is unlikely to happen.

Jaguars | More on Law Visit

Fri, 24 Jun 2005 06:06:56 -0700

Vito Stellino, of the Florida Times-Union, reports Jacksonville Jaguars head coach Jack Del Rio said the Jaguars' staff had dinner with free agent CB Ty Law (Patriots) Wednesday night, June 22 before he worked out Thursday, June 23. "We had a good visit and we'll continue to monitor the situation,'' he said. Del Rio declined to comment on the condition of Law's foot injury that sidelined him the second half of last year.

Chiefs | Still Monitoring Law

Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:55:18 -0700

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the Kansas City Chiefs continue to monitor the recovery of free agent CB Ty Law (Patriots).

I know we don't need a LB with Spikes and Fletcher here. But god damn! Peter Boulware can't get a $1 million contract?! With Posey becoming a UFA soon and him not producing very well, why not sign Boulware cheap? Spikes, Fletcher, and Boulware? That would be crazy!

I think Ross Verba is going to learn VERY soon that he's not going to make anywhere's near what he thought he was going to. Once he admits that to himself, I think TD wouldn't be wrong in signing him for 1.5 mil a year.

I put in that stuff about Ty Law for all the people here that want the Bills to sign him so badly. He's been recieving minimum contract offers from the Dolphins and others. The Lions want him but can't afford him. He'll most likely land in Jacksonville or Kansas City. It's a lot more likely that we'll see Bobby Taylor in a Bills uni then Law.

Speaking of free agency did Bubba Franks resign with Green Bay or is he still out there?

367900[/snapback]

He hasn't resigned with them and has no-showed mini-camp along with Javon Walker. But Green Bay slapped a Transition tag on him so it will be difficult for someone else to sign him.

We did it with Spikes, but he REALLY wanted out of Cincinnatti. I think Bubba just wants some more cash.

I know we don't need a LB with Spikes and Fletcher here. But god damn! Peter Boulware can't get a $1 million contract?! With Posey becoming a UFA soon and him not producing very well, why not sign Boulware cheap? Spikes, Fletcher, and Boulware? That would be crazy!

I think Ross Verba is going to learn VERY soon that he's not going to make anywhere's near what he thought he was going to. Once he admits that to himself, I  think TD wouldn't be wrong in signing him for 1.5 mil a year.

I put in that stuff about Ty Law for all the people here that want the Bills to sign him so badly. He's been recieving minimum contract offers from the Dolphins and others. The Lions want him but can't afford him. He'll most likely land in Jacksonville or Kansas City. It's a lot more likely that we'll see Bobby Taylor in a Bills uni then Law.

367681[/snapback]

Boulware is comming off an injury.

thats why hes only offered low contracts.

1.5 mil for Verba is damn good, but i think another team will offer more than we can.

law wont sign for min. salary. someone will pay him atleast 2 mil a year, probubly 3 + incentives.

It strikes me as odd that folks judge Posey as not producing very well as in my view the simple fact is that he has been an entrenched starter at OLB on a Bills D that did very well in production in 2003 and did even better in 2004.

I'd definitely agree with those who judge Posey's performance as not reaching near the level of Pro Bowl performer Spikes or one of the Billa leading tacklers and D captain Fletcher at MLB.

However, as appropriate and lofty as our hopes are for LB production, the notion that not being as good as Spikes (who uniformly is judged as one of the best LBs in the league) or being as good as Fletcher (who does not get the proper respect in terms of recognition from others but has not only proved to rack up a huge # of tackles for the Bills, BUT also raised his game in 2004 to be a well and often utilized guy on ST on short-kick returns, AND also despite the negative of playing out of control at times he clearly is one of the better thinkers on this team on the field in diagnosing the right thing to do in the current situation.

Posey has not fulfilled the role many of us hoped for (and some fools expected) that he would equal Bryce Paup production as a Bill in ringing up sacks. However, there is a big difference to me in his failure to be one of the best plyers in the league and him not being productive.

Posey is not an A player in my judgment, but I certainly judge his play as having been productive and useful for the Bills as he has manned a key spot on one of the most productive Ds in the league statistically.

I know there have been a variety of complaints from posters whose judgments I generally respect such as Simon siting Posey problems where they claim he was out of position or turned the wrong way.

However, since these indictments generally do not seem to be accompanied with either specific examples of Posey giving up TDs or even long gains to an opponent who was his responsibility or by some statisitical measure which indicates he is a problem, I think these indictments are more than our fan disappointment that Posey has not reached some unreasonable level of achievement rather than some real football issue.

Posey has been a key player in a productive D. While his play does not justify at all a Spikes level contract. if the market allows the Bills to hang onto him when he hits UDFA for a substantial though not earth shattering contract I think he will be worth a hefty expenditure to hold.

Why would anyone give Boulware - who hasn't played in over a year, will be 31 by season's end, and has never made more than 57 unassisted tackles in a season - a contract exceeding $1 million?

368619[/snapback]

Very good questions.

I don't think he can be counted on as an every down LB any more, and unless he played for a really small salary, he wouldn't be worth it to come in as a situational pass rusher. The injuries he has are the kind of wear and tear injuries that can quickly spell the end of a LB's career. Bringing him in would be a risk and, considering the instability of the offensive line (LT position) and depth issues elsewhere (TE, CB), I'd have to pass on Boulware.

but thats the browns.

who wants to play for the browns??

368609[/snapback]

The Browns money spends exactly the same as anyone else's. I haven't met too many people who'd take a 50% paycut (especially with that much jack involved) to go to a slightly better company.

Verba said "No" to 2.9 Mil a year with Cleveland.

368605[/snapback]

I did not know this. It only serves to prove just how much left tackles are valued, which makes it hard for me to be confident about Gandy.

Sorry, I am having a tough time understanding why the Bears would simply release a left tackle if he was any good.

I did not know this. It only serves to prove just how much left tackles are valued, which makes it hard for me to be confident about Gandy.

Sorry, I am having a tough time understanding why the Bears would simply release a left tackle if he was any good.

368884[/snapback]

Maybe the Bears are making a mistake. After all, they haven't made too many good decisions over the last few years.

Let's remember that the Bills aren't planning to drop Losman back 50 times a game. I doubt Mularkey is going to hang either Gandy or Losman out to dry.

Gandy might be a very good fit for a run-oriented offense with a controlled passing game.

It strikes me as odd that folks judge Posey as not producing very well as in my view the simple fact is that he has been an entrenched starter at OLB on a Bills D that did very well in production in 2003 and did even better in 2004.

I'd definitely agree with those who judge Posey's performance as not reaching near the level of Pro Bowl performer Spikes or one of the Billa leading tacklers and D captain Fletcher at MLB.

However, as appropriate and lofty as our hopes are for LB production, the notion that not being as good as Spikes (who uniformly is judged as one of the best LBs in the league) or being as good as Fletcher (who does not get the proper respect in terms of recognition from others but has not only proved to rack up a huge # of tackles for the Bills, BUT also raised his game in 2004 to be a well and often utilized guy on ST on short-kick returns, AND also despite the negative of playing out of control at times he clearly is one of the better thinkers on this team on the field in diagnosing the right thing to do in the current situation.

Posey has not fulfilled the role many of us hoped for (and some fools expected) that he would equal Bryce Paup production as a Bill in ringing up sacks.  However, there is a big difference to me in his failure to be one of the best plyers in the league and him not being productive.

Posey is not an A player in my judgment, but I certainly judge his play as having been productive and useful for the Bills as he has manned a key spot on one of the most productive Ds in the league statistically.

I know there have been a variety of complaints from posters whose judgments I generally respect such as Simon siting Posey problems where they claim he was out of position or turned the wrong way.

However, since these indictments generally do not seem to be accompanied with either specific examples of Posey giving up TDs or even long gains to an opponent who was his responsibility or by some statisitical measure which indicates he is a problem, I think these indictments are more than our fan disappointment that Posey has not reached some unreasonable level of achievement rather than some real football issue.

Posey has been a key player in a productive D.  While his play does not justify at all a Spikes level contract. if the market allows the Bills to hang onto him when he hits UDFA for a substantial though not earth shattering contract I think he will be worth a hefty expenditure to hold.

368797[/snapback]

I wouldn't place too much store in our defensive ranking. Those are based on some pretty suspect stats. We played a very easy schedule and there were a number of games where the defense evaporated in the crunch. That doesn't mean that I don't think we have a good defense, we do. I just wouldn't think of them as "dominating".

The defense does need improving, especially when it comes to generating some pressure. Posey has just not been providing much of that at all. He is not awful, not by any means but by the same token we aspire to something beyond mediocrity. For that, we need to upgrade a few positions on the defense. LDE, and, with the loss of Williams, DT are the obvious places to start but after that, where else would you want to upgrade? Either Posey or another CB in case McGee can't handle starting would be my guess. I don't see it as a huge priority but replacing Posey would certainly be on my top 5 ways to improve this defense.