Sabre's salary cap positioning

Dante

Pretty good read(not long)comparing the Leafs and Sabres as far as their salary cap situation is concerned. That is, after the cba is signed. Im a Leaf fan and the upcoming season looks cloudy. However, not so for the Sabres. So Leaf haters(of which there are many on this board) will enjoy this article. As odd as it sounds, I have a soft spot for the Sabres as well. Growing up 50 mins away from Buffalo I got to see alot of Buffalo games so Im glad to see they are in good shape. This article is from Slam. They are simply the best for all NHL and hockey news.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Toron...102839-sun.html

Pretty good read(not long)comparing the Leafs and Sabres as far as their salary cap situation is concerned. That is, after the cba is signed. Im a Leaf fan and the upcoming season looks cloudy. However, not so for the Sabres. So Leaf haters(of which there are many on this board) will enjoy this article. As odd as it sounds, I have a soft spot for the  Sabres as well. Growing up 50 mins away from Buffalo I got to see alot of Buffalo games so Im glad to see they are in good shape. This article is from Slam. They are simply the best for all NHL and hockey news.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Toron...102839-sun.html

366518[/snapback]

Is that the entirety of that article? three paragraphs? or is this yet another Firefox issue?

Is that the entirety of that article? three paragraphs? or is this yet another Firefox issue?

366544[/snapback]

Technically it wouldn't be a Firefox issue, it'd be an issue with the person who created the website to MS standards instead of to the real standards.

CW

]I think the NHL has many problems. I am hopeful, though that this lost season will go along way in improoving the game. I really think the salary cap could make things really interesting and get me more interested in hockey agaain. On a side note I know it looks ugly but I like the idea of the bigger net and smaller goalie pads. Bigger Net

Players like Jagr and Roenick have already said they should have agreed to the cap in January. They questioned how serious the owners were and lost.

As for the article, does anyone really think we'll cut Biron?

t-r

I haven't read any of the quotes from Jagr or Roenick. Isn't it easy to make comments like this after you've lost? I don't hold any value in these quotes. Guys like Barnaby who said the same thing during the lockout are the one's who should be credited.

I thought the lockout would end some time last week?  Any updates to that?

366963[/snapback]

I have it on reasonably reliable information from the Flyers organization that the announcement will be made on July 15th.

My wife got pitched by their marketing dept. and she asked them whether there would actually BE hockey this year or not and that as the date they told her.

Technically it wouldn't be a Firefox issue, it'd be an issue with the person who created the website to MS standards instead of to the real standards.

CW

366548[/snapback]

Everybody's so anti-MS, but the vast majority of users are using their browser. I like Firefox, but it speaks to the quality of the sofwtware when it struggles with "MS standards". A truly great browser would be able to interpret both and be smart enough to know what the web page author was trying to show you. I would imagine that you will see this sort of issue resolved in future builds of the application.

There are actually a lot of things Firefox doesn't handle very well yet.

Everybody's so anti-MS, but the vast majority of users are using their browser.  I like Firefox, but it speaks to the quality of the sofwtware when it struggles with "MS standards".  A truly great browser would be able to interpret both and be smart enough to know what the web page author was trying to show you.  I would imagine that you will see this sort of issue resolved in future builds of the application.

367607[/snapback]

It speaks to the quality of software when the developers SPECIFICALLY wanted to stick to the REAL standards established by the W3C, and not the ones that a single company is trying to force everyone to use? :ph34r:

Ummm, ok.

CW

It speaks to the quality of software when the developers SPECIFICALLY wanted to stick to the REAL standards established by the W3C, and not the ones that a single company is trying to force everyone to use? :ph34r:

Ummm, ok.

CW

367620[/snapback]

What would it hurt to interpret both standards correctly? It seems petty if done intentionally.

Everybody's so anti-MS, but the vast majority of users are using their browser.  I like Firefox, but it speaks to the quality of the sofwtware when it struggles with "MS standards".  A truly great browser would be able to interpret both and be smart enough to know what the web page author was trying to show you.  I would imagine that you will see this sort of issue resolved in future builds of the application.

367607[/snapback]

Its quite hard for a browser to know what browser the site was coded for. There's no real way of telling it what website something was coded for. And even if there was, you would still run into the same problem that exists now - the person who coded the website wouldn't include a tag telling firefox how to render the page, because the guy who coded it coded it for IE and didn't know to put it in there.

Ummm, ok.

CW

367620[/snapback]

Reminds me of the open source debate. Just because its open source doesn't mean its necessarily better, just different. Same goes for Firefox's reliance on the W3C standards. Just because its reliant on those standards doesn't mean that its necessarily better. I actually prefer the way IE renders pages to the way Firefox does, but I still use firefox for a variety of reasons (some extensions that I like). I like Opera the best, so its too bad Google's Web Accelerator doesn't work with it, or I'd be using that.

Its quite hard for a browser to know what browser the site was coded for.  There's no  real way of telling it what website something was coded for.  And even if there was, you would still run into the same problem that exists now - the person who coded the website wouldn't include a tag telling firefox how to render the page, because the guy who coded it coded it for IE and didn't know to put it in there.

Reminds me of the open source debate.  Just because its open source doesn't mean its necessarily better, just different.  Same goes for Firefox's reliance on the W3C standards.  Just because its reliant on those standards doesn't mean that its necessarily better.  I actually prefer the way IE renders pages to the way Firefox does, but I still use firefox for a variety of reasons (some extensions that I like).  I like Opera the best, so its too bad Google's Web Accelerator doesn't work with it, or I'd be using that.

367631[/snapback]

It's not like we're talking about standards that significantly change all of the time. Just because IE 7.0 comes out and the developers changed the way a particular tag is interpretted by their application doesn't mean that every HTML hack on the web is suddenly going to change how they've been writing HTML for years. Nor does it make Microsoft wrong - it's their applicaiton! Not only that, IE interprets everything - you never hear about "incompatibility with IE" - it's alwasy the browsers that haven't been around long enough to gain maturity. It's up to Firefox to interpret what the people are serving up, and really has little to do with Microsoft or IE.

I completely agree with your point about open source.

:P  ;)  :lol:  :P  :D  :D

367775[/snapback]

Look at the Leafs and the age factor.....retirement home, here we come! (for pro athletes anyway)

Ed Belfour - 40

Brian Leetch - 36

Ken Klee - 34

Gary Roberts - 39

Mats Sundin - 34

Joe Nieuwendyk - 39

Alex Mogilny - 36

Tie Domi - 36

The Red Wings, I think they are older than the Leafs.

:ph34r::D