Bills can't afford Verba?

d_wag

"Though arguably the best player still available in free agency, Verba is struggling to get more than a one-year contract offer. The Bills desperately need someone of Verba's skill level at left tackle, but they don't have the cap room to even consider him."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...john&id=2092239

TD went on record a few months back stating that the cap would not hold them back from signing any free agent.......nothing has changed since then........if the bills want to sign someone they can create room by extending/restructuring MW and lowering his 10M plus cap charge.......

clayton really surprises me sometimes.......

"Though arguably the best player still available in free agency, Verba is struggling to get more than a one-year contract offer. The Bills desperately need someone of Verba's skill level at left tackle, but they don't have the cap room to even consider him."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...john&id=2092239

TD went on record a few months back stating that the cap would not hold them back from signing any free agent.......nothing has changed since then........if the bills want to sign someone they can create room by extending/restructuring MW and lowering his 10M plus cap charge.......

clayton really surprises me sometimes.......

365386[/snapback]

Thanks for the link. There is a difference between "can't" and "don't want to", a difference that Clayton does not appear to be interested in researching.

I have issues with the term "Verba's skill level" too, but anywhoo.

I think offensive line is the most subjectively viewed position in the game of football. Unlike the other skill positions (QB, WR, CB, DL, LB, RB), OL opinions WIDELY vary even amongst different teams (let alone amongst the media and amongst fans)

Having said that, I have no idea how good Verba is. How many of you watch, with any consistency, the offensive linemen of other teams? I love the game of football but I seldom notice any OL's except on my own team and the rare players on opponents we regularly face. The Pro Bowl voting backs me up on this: How many of you , if you even bother voting for an OL, know if they are good or if you have just heard of them? How many times did Ruben Brown get voted onto the PB team? Was he an All Star?

"SOMEWHAT" surprisingly, the sports media also seems to know very little. How many of them thought LJ Shelton was a good match for the Bills? Well, the Bills didn't think so. Obviously they had a different opinion as to his skill level.

Do the Bills need a new OT? The "experts" say so (sports media and fans). I happen to agree but I JUST SAID I DON'T know jack about linemen I haven't seen play a lot. Which means my opinion is....shall we say....not expert by any means.

I have to assume that TD and his scouting, medical, strength, and coaching staff know more than I do as to the skill level of the linemen on the team and available in free agency. If the Bills talk to Verba, then they are interested. If they don't, they're not.

-RnJ

I find it hard to believe that Verba is a top 10 tackle. Also, Clayton is a giant douche, he's the king of speculation but every now and then he provides some good info. A buddy of mine ran an upscale pizza place/bar in Seattle for the past 2-3 years .He said that Clayton used to come in all the time and was not only an arrogant jerk0ff but stingy to boot!

Thanks for the link.  There is a difference between "can't" and "don't want to", a difference that Clayton does not appear to be interested in researching.

I have issues with the term "Verba's skill level" too, but anywhoo.

365401[/snapback]

Especially when the Bills threw Pie on his face on the TH fiasco before the

draft....Clayton had essentially said that the trade of TH for Shelton was

a done deal and that it will be announced on draft day....only for TD to

rebuke him....

CLE is a franchise with a bunch of problems. LT is an important position, which they surely are concerned about.

If Verba was viable according to their lights, I'm sure they would have worked out some deal, somehow.

They did not.

Don't buy other club's problems.

CLE is a franchise with a bunch of problems. LT is an important position, which they surely are concerned about.

If Verba was viable according to their lights, I'm sure they would have worked out some deal, somehow.

They did not.

Don't buy other club's problems.

365483[/snapback]

Especially since they had the worst OLine in the game last season.

Clayton is a giant douche, he's the king of speculation but every now and then he provides some good info. 

A buddy of mine ran an upscale pizza place/bar in Seattle for the past 2-3 years .

He said that Clayton used to come in all the time and was not only an arrogant jerk0ff but stingy to boot!

<_<:lol::lol::doh::doh:

Bills presently have less than $1 million available on the cap per my numbers I will post soon. They will need to do a little cap management (i.e. trade Henry) in order to sign the draft picks.

If the Bills were to create cap space to sign Verba, I would prefer using it to re-sign Nate Clements

Bills presently have less than $1 million available on the cap per my numbers I will post soon. They will need to do a little cap management (i.e. trade Henry) in order to sign the draft picks.

If the Bills were to create cap space to sign Verba, I would prefer using it to re-sign Nate Clements

366411[/snapback]

Thanks, clump. Everyone seems to think of the cap either as a non-issue or a minor annoyance. It's real, and we seem to be up against it at the moment.

Thanks, clump. Everyone seems to think of the cap either as a non-issue or a minor annoyance. It's real, and we seem to be up against it at the moment.

366442[/snapback]

mike williams = 9.813 cap number

and that is why........that number can easily be cut in half.........

clements is already at 3.4M -- an extension would likely only increase that number slightly, if at all........

mike williams = 9.813 cap number

and that is why........that number can easily be cut in half.........

clements is already at 3.4M -- an extension would likely only increase that number slightly, if at all........

366471[/snapback]

Actually, I think a new contract for nate would reduce that number. I'm all for a new contract for Nate, however I doubt he'll do it. FAs in the last year of their contract have $$ signs in their eyes.

Actually, I think a new contract for nate would reduce that number. I'm all for a new contract for Nate, however I doubt he'll do it. FAs in the last year of their contract have $$ signs in their eyes.

366497[/snapback]

some players are like that........

but then you also have the guys like todd heap, marcus stroud, santana moss, and jamal williams who are willing to forgo free agency in order to sign a big money deal well in advance of their free agency date.......

i don't think you can pigeonhole nate into either category......he might be waiting for free agency or he might be waiting for a fair offer from the bills.......