And I thought 4 SB losses were tough...

Hello folks.

I've been "off the board" the past two weeks for vacation and to attend a job-related conference.

But I wanted to inform you that I received word about 9:45 Friday evening that my Dad passed away. And while I mourn his passing, I feel truly blessed that he was a mentor, a friend--simply the best Dad anyone could want, and that he was a special part of my half-century existence to date. The values and discipline he taught me have been and are being carried to the next generation in my family (my two daughters). And I'll be forever grateful for the times, good and bad, that we shared both as father and son and in family matters. He was special...and I'll always carry those memories of him. I believe in the hereafter--so I will see him again down the line.

I'd like to relate a Bills story with you. Back in '66, my brother won a clothing store contest for an autographed football and two tickets to see the Bills play the Boston Patriots at the Old Rockpile. Now, my Dad knew that I'd be heartbroken if I could not go (my brother was 13 at the time to my 11). So, he went to the local Western Union office and wired the Bills' ticket office re: availability. Lo and behold, he secured an obstructed-view ticket (behind a pole) on the press box side of the Rockpile (the two seats we had were on the opposite side, astride the east end zone end line). Will never forget being parked in a sardine-confined lot across the street from the stadium...as well as the game itself (played on a Saturday night). Jim Nance ran amok, and Booth Lusteg couldn't hit the broad side of a barn (blew three makeable FGs). Wray Carlton scored the Bills' only TD in a 20-10 loss.

I don't know when I'll be back with you, but take care all. Happy Father's Day (and if you get a chance, read Troy Vincent's Q&A on the BB board--good stuff).

May God bless you and your family Greg during this difficult time. All of us here know you as a great guy with a huge heart. Please do your best to be a source of strength to your family members over the next few days, weeks and months. Throughout your life your Dad must have been very proud of you and your ability to help others when they most needed it. Now is the time to show yourself that your Dad was right. I know you can do it. Here's wishing you all the best.

Sincerely,

Greg

Sorry to hear that. I'll send some thoughts and prayers your way this weekend.

I don't think I appreciated my own father until I moved from Buffalo. I know I've been to over 100 NHL games with him and it always seemed important, but it just about doubled in importance when that was taken away. Now I call him on the phone just about every other day. We have nothing to talk about (he's retired; I'm boring) but we still do it. When I was younger I prayed for stupid things, but now all I care about is people in my family staying healthy.

My condoleneces , but I will say in an era when we hear more bad news than good about parents , children and families it is always a little refreshing to hear about good ones. Here is to remembering the good times and letting the bad ones turn to dust and blow away.

Hello folks.

I've been "off the board" the past two weeks for vacation and to attend a job-related conference. 

But I wanted to inform you that I received word about 9:45 Friday evening that my Dad passed away.  And while I mourn his passing, I feel truly blessed that he was a mentor, a friend--simply the best Dad anyone could want, and that he was a special part of my half-century existence to date.  The values and discipline he taught me have been and are being carried to the next generation in my family (my two daughters).  And I'll be forever grateful for the times, good and bad, that we shared both as father and son and in family matters.  He was special...and I'll always carry those memories of him.  I believe in the hereafter--so I will see him again down the line.

I'd like to relate a Bills story with you.  Back in '66, my brother won a clothing store contest for an autographed football and two tickets to see the Bills play the Boston Patriots at the Old Rockpile.  Now, my Dad knew that I'd be heartbroken if I could not go (my brother was 13 at the time to my 11).  So, he went to the local Western Union office and wired the Bills' ticket office re: availability.  Lo and behold, he secured an obstructed-view ticket (behind a pole) on the press box side of the Rockpile (the two seats we had were on the opposite side, astride the east end zone end line).  Will never forget being parked in a sardine-confined lot across the street from the stadium...as well as the game itself (played on a Saturday night).  Jim Nance ran amok, and Booth Lusteg couldn't hit the broad side of a barn (blew three makeable FGs).  Wray Carlton scored the Bills' only TD in a 20-10 loss. 

I don't know when I'll be back with you, but take care all.  Happy Father's Day (and if you get a chance, read Troy Vincent's Q&A on the BB board--good stuff).

361604[/snapback]

My prayers are with you and your family.

t-r

Sorry about your loss Greg.

I hope everyone takes the chance to call their dad tomorrow and just say thanks....because we all have stories of how dad was there to be the cheerleader for you when you thought nohting could go right.

I learned that you cannot take people for granted...for me it was the day my father had bypass surgery, and I realized how fragile life can be.

Again, my condolences to you Greg.

Hey Greg,

I am sorry to hear about your Dad. It will be a roller coaster for a while. I lost my Dad when I was 3 and my Mom when I was 25. After my Mom passed away, my sister who is about 1 1/2 years younger than me asked me if I remembered our father. I told her yes that I have four images of him including one when he was dying in his bed. My sister told me that she did not remember our father. At that point, I realized that I was lucky and she was less so.

Hold on to your memories of your Dad. Write your memories down and cherish them as they can fade as you age. The one about the Rockpile is a keeper!!!

When the Bills lost those four and the Sabres their two, it was hard but they don't compare to losing my parents.

I hold on tightly to my four images of my Dad. Hold on to yours! You are lucky!

Prayers and peace!!!

Spun

Im sorry man. It's a day I know is coming for me but I put it out of my mind. Last summer I had to come back east to be with my dad for his FOURTH open heart surgery. I thought I was going to see him for the last time. He made it through in fine shape but he is almost 70 now. He continues to drink too much and smoke so I fear every late night phone call thinking it may be my stepmom informing me of the worst. I wish you the best and I hope I can find the same compassion when my dad goes.

Greg, my dad passed away this past New Years Day and I know what you are going through. One of my best memories is him taking me to a Bills-Colts game back in '76 in Baltimore. Hang tough, things get better. God Bless.