Travis Henry

Tolstoy

Why would Travis prefer to go to Jacksonville or Tennessee, when he is just going to back up to Fred Taylor or Chris Brown anyhow? In other words, it is not as if he is being promoted to a starter's position there. As it is, Buffalo would seem as good a spot as any to be a back-up. Buffalo is a team on the rise, with a determined approach to the running game, and a starter who has had major reconstructive knee surgery.

I am guessing three reasons:

(1) wounded pride: he lost the starting job here, and his ego took a dent. Since the Bills were the hammer that delivered the dent, Travis hates the Bills. (Professional athletes are quite childish in this regard.) This is kind of stupid, however. Afterall, he is just setting himself up for another dent in Jackson. and Tenn.

(2) better chance at a starting job: Travis secretly thinks that he has a better chance of winning the starting job at Jacksonville and Tennessee. In other words, he doesn't think Taylor or Brown are as good as he is. (Typical arrogance--is he right? I don't think so.)

(3) Just because he said he was never playing for the Bills again--now he has to stand by his words. This is very stupid, but typical of pigheaded atheletes.

To be honest, if he would get his head out of his rear-end, I would be happy to have him on the bench, if only for a year. He would be good insurance.

I think contractually is an important factor now. The Bills WILL NOT offer him a long term deal, and he is only scheduled to make 1.25 this year if i am correct (that figure has been posted all over the place here so you can double check me). At this point if he gets traded to either of those two teams he is likely to get a long term deal that will give him a significant signing bonus and probably more than 1.25 a year.

The way i see it is for him, he takes 1.25 this year if he is a Bill... or maybe 8.25 if he is traded (with signing bonus 6mil and salary 2mil a year for four years or something... i don't think he will get a Lamont Jordan type deal if he goes to either of these two teams).

One of my co-workers claims to know Travis a little bit.

The word is, the guy is broke.

It's all about a new contract, and needing a signing bonus now.

360874[/snapback]

Didn't he pull that trick once before?

Another ingredient in the mix should be that Jax is a much better team. If I were him I would go Jax. One other thing, Florida has no state tax.

Jeff

360834[/snapback]

I definitely don't agree that JAX is a much better team. They've probably got us at Qb, D-line, and Kicker where we've got them at WR, LB's, Db's, and special teams overall.

RB, O-line and Te's are a wash.

Good point on the state tax though.

My sense is that there are a lot of factors which influnece Henry's judgments about where to go such as:

1. Sign the biggest contract he can for a longer term and immediate payoff.

2. Get a shot at winning the starting job

3. Be on a competitive team

4. Be in a nice locale with warm temps and lots of babes.

5. Feel respected by his employers and feel like part of a team.

6. Other

Only Travis knows which order these things fit in importance and I'm sure it changes (it is to be hoped not radically from day to day).

The tough part for him is that achieving any of these goal right now means cooperating a bit with the Bills and having them at least be able to tolerate you and dumb pride does not allow that to happen.

The contract which he forced himself to sign which mortgaged away his freedom for one year in exchange for upfront cash simply puts him into a position where if he invests in dumb pride and holds out or even tries to pull a Joey Galloway and get credit for playing 6 games this year and get FA he quite likely will not achieve any of these goals.

Travis has done the "right" thing for himself and for the Bills by making it clear that he will be elsewhere next year. However, Travis has given the controlling decision over to the Bills by extending his deal a year and if they are not satisfied with a trade his two options will be to suck it up and try to make a big contract next year by backing up his teammates and WM and hoping he gets a chance to prove himself or instead to throw a hissy fit which actually will lessen his chances of accomplishing any of his goals (for example, Henry were to hold out and try to merely do 6 games he will produce a result where even if he succeeds future teams would be reluctant to sign or give big bucks to a player who beat his former owner, Travis will get the rep among future potential teammates of being a guy who will not watch your back. Travis will leave the Bills with little real option and set himself up for a whispering campaign which raises questions about past injuries which will lower his future contract- holding out simply does not work or Travis and any agent who attempts to appeal to his dumb pride is simply swimming upstream for a player who will not deliver them a % of a big contract).

I think things have been pretty quiet because there simply is little option for TH but to sit, wait and train to make himself be buff. The tough part may well come if TD is not satisfied with any offers (unlikely with use of a condiional but possible) and TH is left with little rationale choice but to suck it up, kiss his teammates butts and come back for a year watching WM's back.

My sense is that there are a lot of factors which influnece Henry's judgments about where to go such as:

1. Sign the biggest contract he can for a longer term and immediate payoff.

2. Get a shot at winning the starting job

3. Be on a competitive team

4. Be in a nice locale with warm temps and lots of babes.

5. Feel respected by his employers and feel like part of a team.

6. Other

360918[/snapback]

Anyone want to hazard a guess what that "Other" Might be?

Is there any link or pointer to where Henry actually has come out and

say that he is excited to get traded to Ten or Jax...The only time he

had wanted a trade to go through was with Arizona, when he bitched about

the bills not making the henry for shelton exchange.

The only reason I think he is fine with this trade would be the upfront

money he can get by signing a multi-year contract with that team...But since

both teams have a incumbent starting RB and both teams are cash strapped

and the Titans are salary-cap-strapped, I doubt either team is going to

offer him the Lamant Jordan type contract that henry supposedly wants.

Another ingredient in the mix should be that Jax is a much better team. If I were him I would go Jax. One other thing, Florida has no state tax.

Jeff

360834[/snapback]

!!!! WHAT!!!!! Be gone thou infidel heathen.

The Jags are no where close to being a better team than our Buffalo Bills.

Take your foul putrid mouth and let it drip its sour words elsewhere. There is no place on this grand board for such lies.

!!!! WHAT!!!!! Be gone thou infidel heathen.

The Jags are no where close to being a better team than our Buffalo Bills.

Take your foul putrid mouth and let it drip its sour words elsewhere. There is no place on this grand board for such lies.

360984[/snapback]

Hey, he is entitled to his opinion just as you are to yours...don't bad mouth him

Jacksonville is not a bad team @ all. Leftwich is a star on the rise @ QB, their defense is getting better, led by a pretty tough DL, and they have pretty good coaching and management. Not a bad choice for him, especially since Taylor has had health issues, meaning Travis might see more playing time there.

I definitely don't agree that JAX is a much better team. They've probably got us at Qb, D-line, and Kicker where we've got them at WR, LB's, Db's, and special teams overall.

RB, O-line and Te's are a wash.

Good point on the state tax though.

360913[/snapback]

No,no,no! I'm not saying that Jax is better than Buffalo!! There better than Tenn. If these are the two choices, I'd go with Jax.

Jeff

Why would Travis prefer to go to Jacksonville or Tennessee, when he is just going to back up to Fred Taylor or Chris Brown anyhow?  In other words, it is not as if he is being promoted to a starter's position there.  As it is, Buffalo would seem as good a spot as any to be a back-up.  Buffalo is a team on the rise, with a determined approach to the running game, and a starter who has had major reconstructive knee surgery.

I am guessing three reasons:

(1) wounded pride: he lost the starting job here, and his ego took a dent.  Since the Bills were the hammer that delivered the dent, Travis hates the Bills. (Professional athletes are quite childish in this regard.)  This is kind of stupid, however.  Afterall, he is just setting himself up for another dent in Jackson. and Tenn.

(2) better chance at a starting job: Travis secretly thinks that he has a better chance of winning the starting job at Jacksonville and Tennessee.  In other words, he doesn't think Taylor or Brown are as good as he is.  (Typical arrogance--is he right? I don't think so.)

(3) Just because he said he was never playing for the Bills again--now he has to stand by his words.  This is very stupid, but typical of pigheaded atheletes.

To be honest, if he would get his head out of his rear-end, I would be happy to have him on the bench, if only for a year.  He would be good insurance.

360822[/snapback]

It's funny, about a half an hour ago I wrote this exact same thing out, got ticked off, and closed the page. If he's going to be a freaking back up regardless of where it is, I wish he would just shut up, get to Training camp on time and finish his contract out.

Baby.

t-r

TH's actions are being driven by his pride and sense of betrayal by the Bills org. He feels that he is a "franchise" type, pro-bowl back and the Bills betrayed him by bringing in WM.

I think TH should swallow his pride, go back to the Bills and play out his contract. He will do well as a FA next year.

Jeff

360834[/snapback]

Jax is a good team. I don't think they are any better than the Bills. He can't go to Jax this year unless they make it worth our while to trade him to them. The Bills hold all the cards. As far as taxes, as long as he has a legal primary residence in Fla I don't think he has to pay state taxes in another state. ( I could be wrong about that - any tax lawyers on board?)

Jax is a good team. I don't think they are any better than the Bills. He can't go to Jax this year unless they make it worth our while to trade him to them. The Bills hold all the cards. As far as taxes, as long as he has a legal primary residence in Fla I don't think he has to pay state taxes in another state. ( I could be wrong about that - any tax lawyers on board?)

361365[/snapback]

It is a legal question (and I am not sure as I am not a lawyer nor do I even play one on TV). However, this taxation issue is driven not only by where Henry lives but by where the company he earns money from is based. Thus, if the Bills are HQ'ed in WNY and the checks are issued from a WNY bank he may well be subject to having that part of his income taxed.

Its complicated by US laws allowing an individual company to be based just about anywhere to make use of the laws of that state even though it does business elsewhere (for example, many compaines are officially based in Delaware and take advantage of that state's liberal business laws, I'm not sure what this does to their taxes).

In addition, though the NFL is allegedly a competitive market which each team operating indepently. individual teams clearly co-operate and collude on items such as league rules, the draft, etc, and since the CBA have a growing partnership with the players to restrain trade in areas such as their rule to restrict individuals from entering the draft until their HS class reaches a certain age (the Clarett/Williams cases). For tax purposes individual teams could quite simply be resident where the NFL is resident if there is a fiscal advantage to ding this.