Reality to Ross Verba: $35M contract chance

JoeF

The man says he won't play for less than a 5 year $35 Million dollar deal. Says he'll retire....he's been out for a week and a half and noone seems to be stepping up with that kind of jack...hope he enjoys sans-a-belt polyester pants, white leather shoes and the early bird specials. Nineteen years until the AARP card kid.

Here are these gems from his short time coach Romeo Crennel:

Crennel on Verba and Shelton

Three-fifths of the line is new, and despite Ross Verba's claims to the contrary, coach Romeo Crennel thinks that adding L.J. Shelton and discarding Verba might be an upgrade.

``It's an even tradeoff, (and) we might be ahead of the game,'' Crennel said Friday after attending a news conference to announce the team's donation of $300,000 to Cleveland schools. ``Because we got a bigger guy who has experience and who has played the position. It might help us more in the running game.''

Crennel admits that Shelton is ``not in ideal condition'' but added that there's time before training camp. Shelton, penciled in as the new left tackle, missed three games last season with a knee injury.

Crennel on Verba's attitude

Former Green Bay Packers offensive lineman Ross Verba was released by the Browns last week, leaving many in the Cleveland organization relieved. Especially new head coach Romeo Crennel.

“He had a history off the field,” Crennel said. “I wasn’t too crazy about that to be honest with you. The best thing for the team was to move him out.”

“He had a history off the field,” Crennel said. “I wasn’t too crazy about that to be honest with you. The best thing for the team was to move him out.”

Like too alleged rapes in his house in the span of a month.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on Ross--from Lenny P's TIP SHEET. How's vet min tasting Ross...

Former Cleveland offensive tackle Ross Verba, who essentially forced his release by complaining loudly about his contract situation, is finding a tough free agent market. Verba, who suggested he wanted a contract worth $6-7 million per year, is garnering just minimum-salary offers so far.

just like i said we should have signed pete kendall.........who was right on that one -- you or me?

367989[/snapback]

You find a post where I specifically mention Pete Kendall. You have some kind of hard on for a 280 pound guy(mostly because you've heard of him) who obviously doesn't fit the scheme Mularkey wants to run, which the signing of 345 pound Bennie Anderson shows . But rant on, good sir about how very right you are.

It's not any different than your current obsession with journeyman Verba. You've heard of him, therefore he must be an improvement over who we already have on the roster. Given Cleveland's offensive line issues, if he was anywhere near the player you think he is, he'd have never hit the open market. Newsflash: he ain't.

just like i said we should have signed pete kendall.........who was right on that one -- you or me?

367989[/snapback]

Kendall was perfect for all that Pulling the Jets do. But also, The other 4 lineman on the OL with him werent too bad, In fact they were very good. I didnt know that Kendall made that Jets OL great. I thought maybe Fabini, Mawae, McKenzie, and Moore were also pretty good players.

It's not any different than your current obsession with journeyman Verba. You've heard of him, therefore he must be an improvement over who we already have on the roster. Given Cleveland's offensive line issues, if he was anywhere near the player you think he is, he'd have never hit the open market. Newsflash: he ain't.

368049[/snapback]

I hate to break it to you, but even if Verba isn't great, or even good for that matter, he's probably a lot better than who we have at left tackle. I'm hoping I'm wrong but Mike Gandy got released from the Bears. In case you haven't noticed they're not exactly known for their dominant O-Lines.

I hate to break it to you, but even if Verba isn't great, or even good for that matter, he's probably a lot better than who we have at left tackle.  I'm hoping I'm wrong but Mike Gandy got released from the Bears.  In case you haven't noticed they're not exactly known for their dominant O-Lines.

368060[/snapback]

Sorry, but for his salary demands he needs to be in the top 10 at the position. Just because he's an improvement (which is debatable) doesn't mean in the salary cap era you sign the guy. There's simply more to consider than just what the guy does between the trenches on Sunday.

The marketplace for Verba is developing very slowly. Given his off the field track record, his "me first" attitude and the investigated but unsubstaniated and uncharged allegations of two rapes at his residence, this is not shocking.

There is a lot of baggage with Ross Verba...not sure the Bills want to take that risk, but if they did want to--with the reworking of Big Mike's bonus, they definitely have room to sign him to a contract worth more than he is being offered.

We'll see how it plays out.

Personally, I think TD is waiting for the Wayne Gandy situation in NO to play out. I think he drafted Gandy and probably has him rated over Verba as a citizen and equal to Verba as a player. If he is going add another competitor for LT he doesn't want to risk a head case.

The fact is we need veteran depth at the Tackle position even if the team is sold on Mike Gandy..we still haven't added two veteran tackles to replace the two we lost (Jennings and Price)--we have added just one (Mike Gandy)...I would be very scared going into the season with Dylan McFarland and Jason Peters as our back-up tackles. We need more veteran depth. Whether the depth can beat out Mike Gandy remains to be seen.

You find a post where I specifically mention Pete Kendall.  You have some kind of hard on for a 280 pound guy(mostly because you've heard of him) who obviously doesn't fit the scheme Mularkey wants to run, which the signing of 345 pound Bennie Anderson shows .  But rant on, good sir about how very right you are.

fact remains LG was an absolute mess last year and the three headed monster of rejects that was rolled out for the bills did not do the job.......in my opinion, it is one of the bigger reasons we started slow and in the big picture why we missed the playoffs.........adding a guy of pete kendall's stature would have solved the problem early.......he's better then all 3, he would have fit within the salary cap, and he would have upgraded the unit overall......

It's not any different than your current obsession with journeyman Verba.  You've heard of him, therefore he must be an improvement over who we already have on the roster.  Given Cleveland's offensive line issues, if he was anywhere near the player you think he is, he'd have never hit the open market.  Newsflash:  he ain't.

he's an upgrade over a reject like gandy......given the deflated market he has found he is well worth a one year deal at 1M to 1.5M......he's a legit, proven LT.......that is something gandy surely can't claim to be..........deal with it.......

fact remains LG was an absolute mess last year and the three headed monster of rejects that was rolled out for the bills did not do the job.......in my opinion, it is one of the bigger reasons we started slow and in the big picture why we missed the playoffs.........adding a guy of pete kendall's stature would have solved the problem early.......he's better then all 3, he would have fit within the salary cap, and he would have upgraded the unit overall......

he's an upgrade over a reject like gandy......given the deflated market he has found he is well worth a one year deal at 1M to 1.5M......he's a legit, proven LT.......that is something gandy surely can't claim to be..........deal with it.......

368110[/snapback]

Kendall is not a run blocker. He is a pass and zone blocker whose job it was to seal off, not pancake people. Yes he did that well, but that is not our scheme. We tend to be straight ahead blocking now and pushing guys off the line, so Willis can pick a hole and go with it. When Travis was the starter Kendall might have been better as he could seal a hole better and since Travis is unable to adjust Kendall may have been better.

On the second one, no he isn't. I am not enamored with Gandy, but Verba sucks, plain and simple. He is a terrible LT and was nearly tarred and feather when they threw him out of Green bay. The fact that Cleveland paid him beyond league minimum is frightening, and shows how bad Cleveland was at eveluating talent.

And as I said to you during your earlier rant on the subject, you're only looking at the short term. That's disasterous when building a football team, Mr. Snyder. And while LG was a problem, it wasn't anywhere near the issue that QB, SS (until Milloy got back), or FS were.

368110[/snapback]

Except Verba himself has stated that he won't sign a contract for that amount of money/term length. But don't let that get in the way of how very right you are.

And as I said to you during your earlier rant on the subject, you're only looking at the short term.  That's disasterous when building a football team, Mr. Snyder.  And while LG was a problem, it wasn't anywhere near the issue that QB, SS (until Milloy got back), or FS were.

kendall would have been a fixture for 3 years -- how is that short-term?

we disagree on the impact the OL problems had on the season....

Except Verba himself has stated that he won't sign a contract for that amount of money/term length.  But don't let that get in the way of how very right you are.

and, as i've stated numerous times, if he doesn't want to come in on those terms that is fine.....i'm not suggesting he be offered a top 10 contact, never have........1 year deal, low salary, take it or leave it......if he does take it, we have an upgrade over that reject gandy.......