Beer drinking traditions

DrW

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Draconator said:

This sounds eerie similar to an Irish Car Bomb

Only with a much longer tradition. The type of beer used in the Lüttje Lage was first brewed in the 16th century. Because it was rather low alcohol, it was often consumed together with a brandy. I do not know when somebody came up with the idea of drinking both together in this specific style, but it was more than 100 years ago.

According to Wikipedia, the Irish Car Bomb was invented in 1979 in ... Connecticut.

My 1000th post. Do I win something?

Edited by DrW
  • Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Orlando Buffalo said:

You might want to hit Treehouse soon, they have some lawsuits flying between owners for basically embezzlement. I never got to hit it when we visited but we did hit Trillium, which was real good but too pricy for a regular place. If you ever come to Orlando  I can recommend several good places, depending on what you are looking for, though as you said the lesser breweries are dying off.

Yeah I read about that.  Even if the suit is successful they wont close, they'll just owe a minor investor a check.  I'm more worried about them getting so big they lose quality control.

The first time I went there was during COVID. It was the main location out in Charlton, MA and it was pickup only and there was a whole procedure.  Basically you paid online and then lined up in your car and they'd bring the stuff out to you.  So we show up to pick up the beer, the line was easily 35 minutes long when we got there and just in the short time we were able to observe other cars getting order we saw people filling up pickup trucks with beer at like $125 a case.  Thousands of dollars of beer were loaded in the time it took them to grab our paltry 2 case order form inside and load it into my car.  When we were pulling out the pickup line was at least 20% longer than when we'd originally gotten into it.  They made an absolutely stupid amount of money and that was just one day of operations.

I went to the main location again on my way home from Maine in 2022 and it was still absolutely mobbed, fully open now, still mobbed with people there and also many people like me who had put in a pickup order who were just in and out.  They have something like 5 locations now, my wife went to the one on Cape Cod this past March to grab me some stuff when she was on a college visit with my son.

You are correct, Trillium is good.  IMO TreeHouse is much better.  If you're up in that area again, Bissell Brothers in Portland, ME is also quite enjoyable.

Edited by That's No Moon