Tyler Boyd 1-year 4.5M with the Titans

On 5/7/2024 at 5:06 PM, BillsFanForever19 said:

Coleman won't start the year, as McDermott is notoriously slow bringing Rookies along and Beane has already said he'll "have a hard time starting at the beginning of the year". Samuel is not an Outside WR. He has flexibility to play there occasionally in certain packages and matchups. But he's 75% from the Inside or coming out of the Backfield. When asked about Samuel, he's referred to him as simply as a "weapon" and not strictly in one spot. He'll be used all over the field. Shakir is a pure slot. Regardless of how good of a Slot you are, that doesn't mean you move to the Outside. It's a completely different game and style of play. One that Shakir is not made for physically or stylistically, which is why he fell to the 5th Round for us, and also didn't produce there when given minimal reps in the Playoffs when we were hurting on the Outside.

On 5/7/2024 at 6:00 PM, Rampant Buffalo said:

First off, I agree with you on Shakir. He is strictly a slot WR, and I don't see him as a contributor on the outside. That said, I like Shakir as a slot. He may not have Cole Beasley's route running ability, but at least his catch percentage is refreshingly high. If you have someone like Shakir in the slot, you don't need to spend big bucks on some other slot receiver.

But, the Bills spent some decent cash on Curtis Samuel. If, like Shakir, Samuel is also strictly a slot, then signing him was a mistake. Giving Samuel the contract he got makes sense only if he can be productive as a Z receiver. With the Bills' cap situation, they simply don't have the luxury of giving out Curtis Samuel type contracts for the purpose of having a redundancy of slot receivers.

I don't think Beane is going to automatically write off the Curtis Samuel signing as a failure, before he's taken a single snap in a Bills uniform. Instead, I expect him to be given the opportunity to show what he can do, as a Z receiver. If he doesn't achieve much in that role, then maybe Beane picks up the phone and asks about what it would take to acquire Hopkins.

As for Coleman: my understanding is that he only has two years of football experience. I expect him to improve upon his biggest weakness (route running and gaining separation). That improvement might not happen right away, and I expect him to be a better player in week 17 than he is in week 1. If you need a guy to carry you through the first half of the season while Coleman learns, I'd be fine using some resources on that. Some. But not necessarily the type of resources you'd need to acquire and keep Hopkins.

Some football guy was on WGR today or yesterday sharing what he's heard about the Bills (SUPER vague, apologies) and he claims the Bills see Shakir as much more than just a strictly slot guy. They allegedly think he can play outside just as well.

Didn't say the same about Samuel, mind you, who most think will be their pre-snap move monster in a way they had hoped Harty might shine early on last season (they def tried in the first few games). 

So that leaves Coleman as the Gabe Davis X role on the depth chart, obviously. I think McD is FULLY willing to let that happen early and often if Coleman can get on Josh's page. (Shouldn't be difficult to get synced up with Allen as well as Davis was OR WASN'T.) Then I'd see Shakir and Samuel flexing between Z and Y a bunch with Kincaid also effectively being a Y guy. 

• Disagree 1

16 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Some football guy was on WGR today or yesterday sharing what he's heard about the Bills (SUPER vague, apologies) and he claims the Bills see Shakir as much more than just a strictly slot guy. They allegedly think he can play outside just as well.

Didn't say the same about Samuel, mind you, who most think will be their pre-snap move monster in a way they had hoped Harty might shine early on last season (they def tried in the first few games). 

So that leaves Coleman as the Gabe Davis X role on the depth chart, obviously. I think McD is FULLY willing to let that happen early and often if Coleman can get on Josh's page. (Shouldn't be difficult to get synced up with Allen as well as Davis was OR WASN'T.) Then I'd see Shakir and Samuel flexing between Z and Y a bunch with Kincaid also effectively being a Y guy. 

With all due respect to you and the guy on WGR - I agree to disagree.

If Coleman takes to things like a fish in water in Training Camp and the Pre-Season with Josh, maybe McDermott changes his spots a little bit. But he's frustratingly conservative bringing along Rookies out of the gate. We didn't start utilizing Kincaid on a regular basis until the end of the year, even after he was showing signs early. And Beane himself also said Coleman's probably not stating the year.

As for Shakir, again, I don't know who this guy is who said this - but from the sounds of it, it sounds like a national guy who was hypothesizing. I've yet to hear this from more connected local guys. 

And from a logical standpoint, it doesn't make much sense. You've got a guy who was looked at in league circles as a Slot only guy at the next level. He's shown growth year to year there and was playing at a very high level last season. Working the middle of the field, finding gaps in short yardage, and intermediately against Nickel CB's and LB's. We're now going to take him from where he was great and growing and then tell him to do something completely differently?

And I don't know how they could think that. They didn't ask him to do it very often last season. Only when we were in a pinch late in the year with Davis down. And when we did, he didn't produce from that spot, as opposed to how he was producing in the Slot.

41 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

With all due respect to you and the guy on WGR - I agree to disagree.

If Coleman takes to things like a fish in water in Training Camp and the Pre-Season with Josh, maybe McDermott changes his spots a little bit. But he's frustratingly conservative bringing along Rookies out of the gate. We didn't start utilizing Kincaid on a regular basis until the end of the year, even after he was showing signs early. And Beane himself also said Coleman's probably not stating the year.

As for Shakir, again, I don't know who this guy is who said this - but from the sounds of it, it sounds like a national guy who was hypothesizing. I've yet to hear this from more connected local guys. 

And from a logical standpoint, it doesn't make much sense. You've got a guy who was looked at in league circles as a Slot only guy at the next level. He's shown growth year to year there and was playing at a very high level last season. Working the middle of the field, finding gaps in short yardage, and intermediately against Nickel CB's and LB's. We're now going to take him from where he was great and growing and then tell him to do something completely differently?

And I don't know how they could think that. They didn't ask him to do it very often last season. Only when we were in a pinch late in the year with Davis down. And when we did, he didn't produce from that spot, as opposed to how he was producing in the Slot.

Can't disagree with the McD + (slow-playing) rookies sentiments, but...

...there have been significant challenges to our widely accepted view of McD's conservative rookie development approach. These include: O'Cyrus Torrence, Tremaine Edmunds, Tre White, Spencer Brown, Christian Benford, Groot and Ed Oliver. Roughly 1 rookie per year gets starting traction from the jump, on average. And usually another rookie or two begins to contribute with increasing frequency/impact as the season progresses. Bunch more really solid examples there: with Allen and Milano leading that accelerated year-one progression charge. 

Sounds to my Bills ears like Coleman will have EVERY chance to see the field a LOT early on, and like Bishop will definitely rotate in and play Teams, and Carter will absolutely be the #3 or #4 DT in the rotation there. I think Solomon will actually get a bunch of pass rush reps by mid-year if game scripts allow for it. 

(I hope Shorter and/or Shavers take a legitimate step forward this season. We all should, of course, but I am actually optimistic one of them will earn an outside spot.)

On 5/7/2024 at 2:03 PM, HappyDays said:

DeAndre Hopkins at the trade deadline 🤞

Claypool>hopkins 

2 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

Claypool>hopkins 

Rashee Rice might be available come playoffs.  Rice>Claypool>Hopkins 

if Rice doesn’t start McD won’t mind a few bulletins holes in his minivan from time to time I m sure 

• Haha (+1) 1