Still a giant hole at saftey?

DC Grid

30 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I thought both rapp and edwards deals were mainly depth.  Neither deal was even top 10 of what was given out in free agency and from an AAV perspective both are below the top 32 at S.  

Interested to see what Elam can do with a new secondary coach and defensive coordinator.  Hopefully he's coming to camp ready to rock.  

I think the lack of big signings or high draft picks at the cb position was a sign that the coaching staff has some level of trust in Elam as the 3rd outside cornerback.  Training camp and preseason will be even more important this year with all the position battles and a bigger rookie class than most years (10 picks) and a ton of UDFA's.

On 4/28/2024 at 1:45 PM, GunnerBill said:

He is GREAT covering slots and tight end near the line. It is his the thing that stands out on his tape IMO. I do think that is slightly different to the question about him as a centre fielder. He has the physical attributes to do it. His tape isn't as good there though for me. That isn't me saying he sucks at it or anything to be clear. But personally I think as a rookie he is better served in the Poyer role than the Hyde one.

Good points but professional coaching can do a lot for a smart player. The Bills are very good at developing secondary players. 

8 minutes ago, Allen2D̶i̶g̶g̶s̶TBD said:

I think the lack of big signings or high draft picks at the cb position was a sign that the coaching staff has some level of trust in Elam as the 3rd outside cornerback.  Training camp and preseason will be even more important this year with all the position battles and a bigger rookie class than most years (10 picks) and a ton of UDFA's.

Yeah, I was thinking about that w/regard to Elam. Maybe the light goes on finally this season. It'd be an Eric Moulds-like trajectory. Both were/are very talented physically and maybe (like Moulds) Elam just needs time to adjust to the pro game.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Agree 1

It seems Elam is having a tough time with the zone work.  If that's true I find it hard for him to do that at Safety.

Big year for the guy, he has to find a spot somewhere, but I don't think it's Safety.

Hyde coming back for 1 more year on an incentive-based contract is intriguing.  He sure could help the rookie.

On 4/28/2024 at 9:19 AM, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Bishop isn’t a box safety, he’s the most athletic DB on the roster next to Elam. 

Bills also like their safeties to be able to cover deep and play in the box, he’ll do both. 

No? Then you should watched his highlights... he hung out on the line often. Had no issues tracking RB's and WR's near the line.  I am not saying he will be lined up as box but you cant say he isn't either. he did quite well around the box. 

• Like (+1) 1