Space Shuttle Columbia- The Final Flight on CNN

If any of you have a interest in the space program I highly recommend CNN's mini series about the Shuttle Columbia disaster. Its really interesting how a lot of the engineers had a concern about the vehicles left wing but basically got told to shut up by the powers to be.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Posted (edited)

@Ridgewaycynic2013  ... very sad what went on behind the scene. Someone analyzed the film and pictures they had on day one and raised a red flag. He was blown off as high strung. A engineer wanted the military to look at that left wing with their spy satellites and got told to stop as they are busy people. And many others. 

Edited by Mike in Horseheads
  • Sad 2
  • Shocked 1

After the Challenger disaster, NASA implemented a policy of coming forward with any concerns, no such thing as a dumb question or too small of a detail (because something like a faulty O-ring was the cause of the explosion), safety of the program is paramount.

How quick the human race is to forget. We learn nothing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/15/2024 at 9:55 AM, UConn James said:

After the Challenger disaster, NASA implemented a policy of coming forward with any concerns, no such thing as a dumb question or too small of a detail (because something like a faulty O-ring was the cause of the explosion), safety of the program is paramount.

How quick the human race is to forget. We learn nothing.

Not so much that the O-ring itself was faulty as it was never designed to function at the temperature at launch. Several engineers noted the problem, the concerns were dismissed by NASA management.

Edited by Steve O

1 minute ago, Steve O said:

Not so much that the O-ring itself was faulty as it was never designed to function at the temperature at launch. Several engineers noted the problem, the concerns were dismissed by NASA management.

the issue in testing thro-ring and temp limits.

la parallel is the 2008 crash.  The financial models had constraints thst were ignored when the syste, stepped outside the parameter limits.

1 hour ago, djp14150 said:

the issue in testing thro-ring and temp limits.

la parallel is the 2008 crash.  The financial models had constraints thst were ignored when the syste, stepped outside the parameter limits

Not quite sure what you're trying to say, maybe you wrote this from your phone. Think it has something to do with testing of the O-ring failures. What I got from the article I read, and there were a couple graphs I didn't totally understand, was that temperature was never a characteristic that was factored in. Therefore, the common theme of the failures that were addressed were not the actual root cause of the them. So that when the engineers said that temperature might be a problem, management said we've already addressed the failure issues.

16 hours ago, Steve O said:

Not quite sure what you're trying to say, maybe you wrote this from your phone. Think it has something to do with testing of the O-ring failures. What I got from the article I read, and there were a couple graphs I didn't totally understand, was that temperature was never a characteristic that was factored in. Therefore, the common theme of the failures that were addressed were not the actual root cause of the them. So that when the engineers said that temperature might be a problem, management said we've already addressed the failure issues.

the O ring failures did not do full temperature testing.  They are thinking we launch in Florida, so it doesn’t get cold.  The thr testing temp had limits that they went outside.

Feynman demonstrated the failure with a cold glass of ice water and plopped the o-ring inside. Later taking it out showing it does not function as it should 

In the market crash in 2008 a similar thing was done with finsncial models where they projected thrm outside the constraints

Similar logic is in recommendations saying kids/ teens are just young adults.

• Agree 1