Things I think

I think that animals should at least have some basic rights, including the right not to be tortured or maimed,  not to be killed for greed, and not to have their habitat wantonly destroyed. If that makes me stupid, I guess I am.

And I'm a political conservative.

358978[/snapback]

I will co-sign that.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Old Ralph was smart in his day, but it doesn't apply anymore.  I have a theory.  I believe that when God created mankind, he allowed for so much intelligence to be split among the population.  So in the older days of earth the people were very smart, and progressed quite nicely, albeit slowly. As the world became more populated the IQ was split among more and more people.  Well with the population boom over the last 100 years, the IQ pool has really been thinned out to where there are only a few of us who have an IQ higher than a toaster.  Which is why I pretty much think the way I do. 

:lol:  :D  :lol:

359002[/snapback]

You think you're a blender? :lol::lol:

On a sliding scale I can't disagree with you, but I definitely have my limits.  Chimps?  OK.  Snail Darters?  Nope, sorry, they gotta go if they stand in the way of progress. 

Guess that makes me God. :lol:  Note to the guy from FSU--bug off, I'm Him.

359000[/snapback]

I think compromises can be reached, even concerning Snail Darters. I'm all for progress, but we certainly have the technology and the knowledge to preserve the flora and fauna as we go along.

Animals have the following rights:

1. You have the right to taste good. If you give up that right, you need to stay away from people.

2. You have the right not to crap on my lawn. If you give up that right, you are subject to punishments that will remain unnamed.

3. You have the right to be interesting, colorful or otherwise beautiful so that people can enjoy watching you. If you give up that right, don't expect me to be interested in you.

4. You have the right to try to survive. If you give up that right you'll probably die.

5. You have the right to be useful, like in the ability to provide leather, food, down, medical research, entertainment or other functions that lead to the advancement and sustenance of humanity. If you give up that right I don't really know what will happen, but it's still probably a good idea to stay away from people.

I think compromises can be reached, even concerning Snail Darters. I'm all for progress, but we certainly have the technology and the knowledge to preserve the flora and fauna as we go along.

359018[/snapback]

At what expense?

At what expense?

359034[/snapback]

I am sure it involves raising taxes, paying for a multi-million dollar committee and undo expenses on corporations, or huge civil fines to help pay for some entitlement program to help said governer, senator, etc.. get reelected by the hot pocket crowd.

I think that animals should at least have some basic rights, including the right not to be tortured or maimed,  not to be killed for greed, and not to have their habitat wantonly destroyed. If that makes me stupid, I guess I am.

And I'm a political conservative.

358978[/snapback]

Since when is it legal to torture animals?

And how exactly do you kill an animal "for greed"? Do some of them carry wallets now?

Since when is it legal to torture animals?

And how exactly do you kill an animal "for greed"?  Do some of them carry wallets now?

359089[/snapback]

When you test non-medicinal products on them, like makeup.

When monkeys live in monkey cities, their little monkey children go to school to learn how to read and write, their ill go to little monkey hospitals, and finally the monkey men sit around and drink beer watching monkey football then I'll give them rights. Until then this tree hugging navel gazer should STFU and do something useful for humanity.

Look fellas, it's quite simple: all life must be respected. That doesn't mean we can't kill viruses, or chop down a tree to build a house, or even kill a cow to sustain ourselves. It simply means we must never wantonly destroy living things (e.g. run over a squirrel for the fun of it). Why? Two reasons:

First, because of our obligations to living organisms themselves. An animal (or plant) is not simply a thing (such as a chair or computer). The squirrel is distinct from the chair by virtue of the fact that it is alive (i.e., has a principle of motion and rest internal to it), and has its own natural end and function (to grow into a mature example of its kind, and reproduce), whereas the chair has it's principle of motion and rest external to it (if it moves, it must be moved), and has its end or function determined by us (to support us while seated). Hence, recognition of the being of the squirrel requires that we understand that it has its own appropriate activity and purpose (doing squirelly things), an activity and purpose that has its own intrinsic beauty and value independent of us. When this is destroyed wantonly, you treat the squirrel as if it is a thing (like a chair), and thus make a category error. You are mistaken.

Second, because we ourselves wish to be good persons. Wanton destruction of life makes one a hurtful, cruel, and selfish person, qualities that translate into actions towards others. No one wishes to be hurtful, cruel, and selfish. Such qualities will only cause misery and unhappiness to oneself in the end. Hence, we should practice kindness toward all living things for our own sake.

"The Way I See It #42--We know that chimpanzees possess language, culture, and self-awareness, so why don't we afford them rights? The most common argument is that if we give chimps rights, the next thing you know we'll be giving rights to squirrels. (seems this guy doesn't think much of squirrels) It seems to me, however, a pretty por decision to deny rights to those who deserve them lest we accidentally afford them to those who don't."

To a simple guy like me, that's stuupid. Please, someone help me understand the deeper meaning to what David Liss is saying.

On a sliding scale I can't disagree with you, but I definitely have my limits. Chimps? OK. Snail Darters? Nope, sorry, they gotta go if they stand in the way of progress.

359000[/snapback]

Perhaps I'm missing something, but it sounds like you unwittingly agree with Liss.

Basically, he's saying that the popular 'slippery slope' argument is stupid.

I tend to agree. The same type of arguments are used re: drugs all the time. "If we legalize marijuana, then we won't know where to draw the line and the next day murder might be legal!". Conservatives love the Slippery Slope argument. I'm right of center and I think it's pretty lame most of the time.