NFL Magazines are out already

Amazing that all of our favorite NFL Preview Magazines are available so soon this year. It just makes you yearn for the season to start now.

I bought Lindy's and they predict the Bills to come in 2nd in our division. However they say that is not enough for them to get in the playoffs.

I glanced at PFW, Athlon, & Street & Smith's, they all predict the Bills to finish 3rd in the division. :doh::P:P

I don't understand the fascination with these "Jean Dixon" rags? They don't know any more than you or I do. All it does every year is piss everyone off! I have a great idea....let's all wait for the season to start. What kills me is that these mags are never held accountable for there horrible accuracy?

Jeff

I agree at least it's something...baseball sucks and so does the nba...I just thought the mags were out a little early this year, compared to last year.

358077[/snapback]

Actually they always come out about a month after the NFL draft...

Sure they are almost always wrong, and make the obvious predictions, but I like them anyways...I like reading the recaps for the other teams, as well as the Bills, just to get a little sense of what is going on around the leauge. I know they are typically filled with innaccuaracies, but this year, at least, the three I have read, have all seemed a bit more up to date than usual. The internet is awesome, but I still love reading magazines!

I don't understand the fascination with these "Jean Dixon" rags? They don't know any more than you or I do. All it does every year is piss everyone off! I have a great idea....let's all wait for the season to start. What kills me is that these mags are never held accountable for there horrible accuracy?

Jeff

358010[/snapback]

Agree 100%. I think there's some of us lay-people who believe that the NFL pundits are somehow better prognosticators becuase they've managed to make a career out of commenting on NFL stuff.

I wish some publication would keep a scorecard. Maybe this could be a Two Bills Drive function that could attract national attention.

It would be really interesting to go through that past five years worth of predictions in Athlon's, Sporting News, TV commentators, national columnists, etc....and see who came closest to predicting division standings and playoff teams.

I remember a couple of recent years when the final standings were just about upside down from what most expected before the season started.

I doubt most professional sports mouthpieces could do any better than us.

About the only sure thing is that CNN nitwit Larry King will predict the Dolphins to win the superbowl.

Jeff

358010[/snapback]

What do you suggest should happen to the prognosticators upon making faulty predictions? Lop off their heads? :doh:

Jeff

358010[/snapback]

Damn. No love for the previews, huh?

In bizarro world...

I totally understand the fascination with these awesome mags! They know a heck of a lot more than you or I do. Every year they make us psyched for the season! I have a great idea....let's never wait for the season to start. What kills me is that these mags are always so accountable for there incredible accuracy.

Jeff

358010[/snapback]

[all mags pick the Bills to win their 5th consecutive NFL title]

I wonder how low those same magazines predicted the Chargers and the Steelers to place last year.

Predictions in football are close to worthless nowadays.

358415[/snapback]

Yeah too bad we can't find a magazine that's 100% accurate in their predictions all the time. That way we could skip watching the games during the season. :doh:

Imagine a prognosticator missing a rookie QB leading his team to a 15-1 record. They should draw-and-quarter that hack. :P

In most cases, the predictions are only 1 page of the magazine. Back when there was no ESPN news, or Twobillsdrive, or NFL network, Lindy's and Athlon's were the first look at the upcoming NFL season. I still enjoy reading them.

Yeah too bad we can't find a magazine that's 100% accurate in their predictions all the time.  That way we could skip watching the games during the season.  :doh:

Imagine a prognosticator missing a rookie QB leading his team to a 15-1 record.  They should draw-and-quarter that hack. :P

In most cases, the predictions are only 1 page of the magazine.  Back when there was no ESPN news, or Twobillsdrive, or NFL network, Lindy's and Athlon's were the first look at the upcoming NFL season.  I still enjoy reading them.

358431[/snapback]

Well said.

Yeah too bad we can't find a magazine that's 100% accurate in their predictions all the time.  That way we could skip watching the games during the season.  :doh:

Imagine a prognosticator missing a rookie QB leading his team to a 15-1 record.  They should draw-and-quarter that hack. :P

358431[/snapback]

I think there's some middle ground between 100% and 25% (they almost never pick half of the division winners). The reason for this is that their predictions are usually just the previous year's standings.

It doesn't mean anybody else could do any better, but it DOES make them pretty much worthless, as in not worth $5.

I think there's some middle ground between 100% and 25% (they almost never pick half of the division winners).  The reason for this is that their predictions are usually just the previous year's standings.

It doesn't mean anybody else could do any better, but it DOES make them pretty much worthless, as in not worth $5.

358481[/snapback]

It's interesting that you quoted and commented on the first half of his post while ignoring the other half. The predictions are fine, but I don't buy the mags for predictions. I like the other things they can provide.

It's interesting that you quoted and commented on the first half of his post while ignoring the other half.  The predictions are fine, but I don't buy the mags for predictions.  I like the other things they can provide.

358626[/snapback]

I don't understand this implication that I took anything out of context. Was he not defending horribly innacurate predictions?

They serve a purpose - I can bring them into the bathroom with me. Can't do that with my computer. :lol:

I like them for the schedules and the quick reads on the other teams. I usually pick up one which stays on the shelf under the coffee table for reference during the season.

They serve a purpose - I can bring them into the bathroom with me. Can't do that with my computer.  :lol:

I like them for the schedules and the quick reads on the other teams. I usually pick up one which stays on the shelf under the coffee table for reference during the season.

358888[/snapback]

True. Plus, think of the savings on toilet paper. Read, wipe then flush! :D