NFL Magazines are out already

I don't understand this implication that I took anything out of context.  Was he not defending horribly innacurate predictions?

358877[/snapback]

I think that he, like myself, was stating that the mags are not entirely about predicting what happens during the season.

Yeah too bad we can't find a magazine that's 100% accurate in their predictions all the time.  That way we could skip watching the games during the season.  :lol:

Imagine a prognosticator missing a rookie QB leading his team to a 15-1 record.  They should draw-and-quarter that hack. :D

In most cases, the predictions are only 1 page of the magazine.  Back when there was no ESPN news, or Twobillsdrive, or NFL network, Lindy's and Athlon's were the first look at the upcoming NFL season.  I still enjoy reading them.

358431[/snapback]

I don't understand this implication that I took anything out of context.  Was he not defending horribly innacurate predictions?

358877[/snapback]

Actually R. Rich is correct, you did take what I said completely out of context. Even if the predictions are horribly inaccurate (which nobody here has proven), my statement that they only comprise one page of the magazine indicated that I read them for more than just the predictions.

Actually I refer to the magazines several times during the season as a quick reference for questions that I have about teams. I spend, at most, 10 minutes reading the predictions, and that's ususally at the newstand.

They serve a purpose - I can bring them into the bathroom with me. Can't do that with my computer.  :P

I like them for the schedules and the quick reads on the other teams. I usually pick up one which stays on the shelf under the coffee table for reference during the season.

358888[/snapback]

how about a big double w00t! <_<:doh: for that avatar!

Actually R. Rich is correct, you did take what I said completely out of context.  Even if the predictions are horribly inaccurate (which nobody here has proven), my statement that they only comprise one page of the magazine indicated that I read them for more than just the predictions.

Actually I refer to the magazines several times during the season as a quick reference for questions that I have about teams.  I spend, at most, 10 minutes reading the predictions, and that's ususally at the newstand.

359077[/snapback]

Hey - I like Dunkin' Donuts coffee but not their donuts. If somebody says their donuts suck, I'm not going to include 2 paragraphs in my response defending their donuts.

That's all I'm saying - I'm not going to argue semantics any further. If you like the mag's, great - it's no skin off my back.

I don't understand the fascination with these "Jean Dixon" rags? They don't know any more than you or I do. All it does every year is piss everyone off! I have a great idea....let's all wait for the season to start. What kills me is that these mags are never held accountable for there horrible accuracy?

Jeff

358010[/snapback]

I don't remember which one it was but last year one of the rags was incredibly accurate in the playoff predictions

I like reading the magazines to look at the pictures.....and enjoy the write ups on the teams.....

But then I get to the "final analysis" and it doesn't compute with what has been written about the team when they break it down.....it discredits the whole take....

I dont mind if a prognosticator thinks we are gonna suck....but at least explain WHY we are going to suck....when I hear things like:

Drew wasn't getting it done

Now they have a QB who can scramble out of trouble

Moulds and Evans makes a lethal combo

Magehee could be a top 3 fantasy back

Edwards should amply replace Pat Williams

Defense should be strong

Special teams returns intact

team coming off a 9-7 season with this year being a favorable schedule

THEN they throw in a sprinkle of a young QB (who is not a rookie) and the loss of Jonas Jennings

And THAT is supposed to explain why our team misses the playoffs.....

OKKKAAAY

I like reading the magazines to look at the pictures.....and enjoy the write ups on the teams.....

But then I get to the "final analysis" and it doesn't compute with what has been written about the team when they break it down.....it discredits the whole take....

I dont mind if a prognosticator thinks we are gonna suck....but at least explain WHY we are going to suck....when I hear things like:

Drew wasn't getting it done

Now they have a QB who can scramble out of trouble

Moulds and Evans makes a lethal combo

Magehee could be a top 3 fantasy back

Edwards should amply replace Pat Williams

Defense should be strong

Special teams returns intact

team coming off a 9-7 season with this year being a favorable schedule

THEN they throw in a sprinkle of a young QB (who is not a rookie) and the loss of Jonas Jennings

And THAT is supposed to explain why our team misses the playoffs.....

OKKKAAAY

359293[/snapback]

I agree with you, but the LT and QB positions are huge in the minds of prognosticators (professional and amateur). You and I might see Tom Brady in 2001 when looking at Losman, but someone else might see Akili Smith.

There are even those who claim that Donahoe is the son of satan because he did not meet their expectations in addressing both positions (among other things.). <_<