Jon Stewart returns to The Daily Show

9 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

It's about pointing out the hypocrisy of one being charged.  The other one being defended.  

For the same damn thing. 

It's all good.  Obama, Hillary and Biden are in NYC today to get millions from NYC elite 

They are not even close to the same thing? The sale of house compared to going for loans and paying taxes? Weather you think trump should be charged or not is a different story but don’t try to claim they are the same. 

believe me, if I can sell my house for $600,000 and its worth only $400,000 I will take the larger amount. If someone is willing to pay it that is what it is worth.

i was a contractor and some of them work the same way. Guys will charge an arm and a leg for a simple job but some people will pay it. It always amazed me.

If there is more to the Stewart thing let me know because I didn’t read up on it. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Tommy Callahan said:

So you know that he never used that property and it's valuation to get a loan?  

What you are dealing with is called cognitive dissonance.  It's a natural reaction.  

And you know that he did? That is why I asked the question if there was more to it let me know. Right now it is just a free market society type of thing. Until you have proof it is more you have no point!

• Eyeroll 2

On 3/28/2024 at 7:50 AM, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

The interesting part about this story to me is just how badly the city underestimated the value of the property, and by extension, the tax this very wealthy celebrity paid.  With the real estate boom, it’s understandable that some properties would raise faster than a reasonable reassessment could address, but missing by $16,000,000 on an $18,000,000 sale? 

It makes you wonder if the city gives de facto tax breaks to residents of wealthy enclaves, or individuals in some cases.  

It also raises the question of the ability of the city to accurately or reasonably assess valuations to begin with.   Is the undervaluation of properties systemic, intentional or a reflection of incompetence?  

Finally, Mr. Stewart apparently benefited from a tax windfall, and nothing would preclude him for making things right and cutting a check to make up at least some of the difference.  One would assume the lost tax revenue goes toward paying for valuable services for the community as a whole, especially those less fortunate.  The phrase “fair share” comes to mind. 

New York State should sue him for the back taxes he owes them for the undervaluing of his property.  But he’s a liberal so…

On 3/28/2024 at 10:54 AM, 4th&long said:

And you know that he did? That is why I asked the question if there was more to it let me know. Right now it is just a free market society type of thing. Until you have proof it is more you have no point!

I am glad you recognize that what Trump did was free market activity, especially since the bank did it's own due diligence and stated they would do the loan again. The arguments against Trump are insane from anyone who understands banking in the least 

25 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

I am glad you recognize that what Trump did was free market activity, especially since the bank did it's own due diligence and stated they would do the loan again. The arguments against Trump are insane from anyone who understands banking in the least 

Just like no one forced anyone to accept Jon Stewart’s asking price for his property, no one forced the banks to accept Trump‘s valuations for his properties. That’s why it will fail on appeal.