Wacka update- Probably going home Tuesday!

Wacka

• Wacka changed the title to Wacka update- Probably going home Tuesday!

All  vitals in normal range. Creatinine level (kidney health) headed down  (right direction).  Had a week of PT. Staples (35) should come out Monday. Incision was 10 inches measured on my skin surface.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 6

Got home Tuesday afternoon. 5 weeks. A week in ICU, two week on the renal floor at ECMC (Erie County Medical Center) whee the transplant center is.  10 days at the rehab center/ nursing home attached to ECMC. Did 6 days of PT there to start building up my stamina and strength. Staples  (35) and central line  came out Tuesday.   Have to record my BP, fluid input and output,  O2 level , weight and  pulse rate myself.  

Have ton go to renal floor weekly for a while  so they can monitor my med levels.

To answer some questions, they keep the original kidneys  as long as they are not cancerous or  actually deteriorating. The dialysis doesn't hurt at all. If you are active it is a BIG inconvenience. You have to remain in one place for 3 hours, but can  eat or take a nap or watch TV for 3 hours. After the transplant, I had to ave dialysis 6 times, 3 in the ICU and 3 times on the  renal floor. The "new "kidney has to "wake up" and it did after 2  weeks. Started peeing like recehorse after that. I'm 67 Monday and the kidney was from a 40 year old from out of town. The age of the donor is all I know. It was from out of town because I was supposed to have the transplant at 8 PM but when that rolled around, they told me it would be the next morning.  It happened at 7:30 AM.

• Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Got home Tuesday afternoon. 5 weeks. A week in ICU, two week on the renal floor at ECMC (Erie County Medical Center) whee the transplant center is.  10 days at the rehab center/ nursing home attached to ECMC. Did 6 days of PT there to start building up my stamina and strength. Staples  (35) and central line  came out Tuesday.   Have to record my BP, fluid input and output,  O2 level , weight and  pulse rate myself.  

Have ton go to renal floor weekly for a while  so they can monitor my med levels.

To answer some questions, they keep the original kidneys  as long as they are not cancerous or  actually deteriorating. The dialysis doesn't hurt at all. If you are active it is a BIG inconvenience. You have to remain in one place for 3 hours, but can  eat or take a nap or watch TV for 3 hours. After the transplant, I had to ave dialysis 6 times, 3 in the ICU and 3 times on the  renal floor. The "new "kidney has to "wake up" and it did after 2  weeks. Started peeing like recehorse after that. I'm 67 Monday and the kidney was from a 40 year old from out of town. The age of the donor is all I know. It was from out of town because I was supposed to have the transplant at 8 PM but when that rolled around, they told me it would be the next morning.  It happened at 7:30 AM.

the technology to do transplants at all  is amazing to me.  I know a guy who had a heart transplant. His name is Brad Ellis a well respected musician who was the accompanist for the TV show Glee. He is doing great now. It sounds as if you are well on your way to recovery too. Keep it going!

It's a great message . Be a organ donor it saves lives in the unfortunate circumstances you are in that position.

Ellis has also waged a very personal crusade to raise awareness for organ donation. Fourteen years ago, he received a heart transplant after going into congestive heart failure due to a childhood virus. He uses his Hollywood clout to get the message out.

3 hours ago, Wacka said:

Best wishes for continued progress 🎉🎈🎊🏈

9 hours ago, muppy said:

the technology to do transplants at all  is amazing to me.  I know a guy who had a heart transplant. His name is Brad Ellis a well respected musician who was the accompanist for the TV show Glee. He is doing great now. It sounds as if you are well on your way to recovery too. Keep it going!

It's a great message . Be a organ donor it saves lives in the unfortunate circumstances you are in that position.

He might have met someone I met through my hobby.  But maybe not the way they record nowadays.  Her name is Elin Carleson. She sang some of the scat that led in and out of the commercials on Glee.  She is a professional opera singer and was in a Malcom in the Middle episode where Dewey wrote an opera. She did the opera part in Mr. Blue Sky for a BMW commercial  and most famously is the ah aaaaaa on the remastered ST:TOS DVDs.

Great news.  And just yesterday surgeons in Boston transplanted a gene-edited pig kidney into a living human (they did one last year in a brain dead person).  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Wacka said:

He might have met someone I met through my hobby.  But maybe not the way they record nowadays.  Her name is Elin Carleson. She sang some of the scat that led in and out of the commercials on Glee.  She is a professional opera singer and was in a Malcom in the Middle episode where Dewey wrote an opera. She did the opera part in Mr. Blue Sky for a BMW commercial  and most famously is the ah aaaaaa on the remastered ST:TOS DVDs.

Brad  Ellis was the musical director as well as the pianist accompanist on the show Glee so he definitely knew your acquaintance. He is an interesting guy to hear speak in person.   He was my daughters accompanist for a show in Hollywood and she has worked with him 3 times. My daughter is a classically trained vocalist who went to school at Boston Conservatory. He went to Berklee also in Boston.  Those 2 schools are now under one musical umbrella . anyway they are both Professionals and worked together as such.

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Went to ECMC for blood/urine lab tests today. Been home a month as of Friday. Driving again and drove myself there today. No call from the transplant center so it looks like tests are all good. Want up to the center  as I was there to get my med prescriptions transferred to my pharmacy. Having experienced the joy of getting  a transplant two months ago, I got to see the despair of not getting one  first hand.  While I was waiting, the nurse came out to tell the other person in the waiting area that the kidney they  had for her was  not suitable for transplant  when they saw it in person. The nurse had tried to call her but they were already on their way. They do warn you that that could happen,  but seeing it happen in front of you affects you.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1