Stop me before I shop again!!

This woman is fuggin nuts and I can't believe she's getting this meda hype about being a 'victim' of some shopoholic syndrome because she lost hubby on 9/11.

This country is fugged!

*SOB* I spent $500,000 on shoes to get over my husband. Help me!

357181[/snapback]

I'm so depressed, lets go to the super Bowl!! Unreal

she spent $70,000 to take six friends to the Super Bowl

Was I supposed to feel sorry for someone after reading that? I mean, other than all the people that were conned into giving money to this scam artist?

Remind me again what a brilliant idea it was to give millions of dollars to all these 9-11 people. I'm sure that policy has plenty of support from the families of soldiers dying in Iraq, and those who were blown up in Oklahoma City, or those killed in the African embassies, or those in the nightclub bombing in Bali, etc. etc. etc.

the Federal Victim Compensation Fund awarded Kathy Trant $4.2 million, of which she received half. She got another $3 million from friends and family.

:blink: What?

First off...she was awarded $4.2M...but only received half that? So she was awarded $2.1M then? What happened to the other two mil?

Second...her friends and family gave her three million? Holy sh--. I've got the wrong !@#$ing friends...

:blink:  What?

First off...she was awarded $4.2M...but only received half that?  So she was awarded $2.1M then?  What happened to the other two mil?

Second...her friends and family gave her three million?  Holy sh--.  I've got the wrong !@#$ing friends...

357356[/snapback]

You say that like you actually have any? In fact you might have one, but then it would not be plural.

Only in Amerikkka would something like this happen....

357405[/snapback]

Which part? Deciding that having your spouse be victim of a crime means one should be made a multi millionaire? That said multi millionaire would then blow through the money like a modern day prodigal son? Or that the scum media would then portray her as a sympathetic figure, complete with diagnosis about her "illness".

Make me fuggin puke. :blink:

I don't know this woman personally, but I do know depression can lead a person to some seriously bad mistakes (such as substance addictions or gambling). They are escape mechanisms. They don't get a thrill off getting high, or winning a big jackpot - they don't actually enjoy it, they're just escaping the real world and the pain it has caused to send them into depression. As long as the person is getting high, or gambling, or shopping (I guess), they are not thinking about the depression - they're escaping it. And every moment of every day they will pursue whatever means they can to escape. This lady had a lot of means at her disposal - what she needed was a loved one to get her to a psychiatrist.

Depression is a serious mental condition that requires a psychiatrist to diagnose and treat. Once a patient understands the cause of their depression and begins to deal with it, many can recover quite nicely. Left alone, they often become suicides after the ability to escape has become unavailable to them (the money and credit is all gone).

EDIT: I would also like to acknowledge that I am in disagreement with the psychologist quoted in the story, who believes it is an issue of "survival guilt", and survivors are saying, 'I might as well blow everything I have. I could be the next one to go." I would rather hear a psychiatrist's opinion on the subject.

Sept 11th was a tragic event, and I feel bad for everyone who lost a loved one that day. But why are these people getting millions of dollars. Soldiers that die in Iraq have what, a $200,000 life insurance policy. Sorry, I don't feel sorry for this irresponsible B word. I hope she chokes on a Biscotti.

Sept 11th was a tragic event, and I feel bad for everyone who lost a loved one that day.  But why are these people getting millions of dollars.  Soldiers that die in Iraq have what, a $200,000 life insurance policy.  Sorry, I don't feel sorry for this irresponsible B word.  I hope she chokes on a Biscotti.

357804[/snapback]

Amen

Sept 11th was a tragic event, and I feel bad for everyone who lost a loved one that day.  But why are these people getting millions of dollars.  Soldiers that die in Iraq have what, a $200,000 life insurance policy.  Sorry, I don't feel sorry for this irresponsible B word.  I hope she chokes on a Biscotti.

357804[/snapback]

Ditto!

357804[/snapback]

Prior to these wars wasnt it less than 200 K? Didnt they just recently raise the Death beni?

Sorry, I don't feel sorry for this irresponsible B word.

There's a difference between irresponsibility and mental illness. Seems to me to be a case of the latter, but everyone else here seems to have determined she was of sound mind and lacking in self discipline.

I pray no one who posted these types of thoughts ever has a loved one who battles a mental illness, like depression, that drives them to alternate paths to escape. It is all-consuming, and lays waste to many otherwise strong families.

There's a difference between irresponsibility and mental illness. Seems to me to be a case of the latter, but everyone else here seems to have determined she was of sound mind and lacking in self discipline.

I pray no one who posted these types of thoughts ever has a loved one who battles a mental illness, like depression, that drives them to alternate paths to escape. It is all-consuming, and lays waste to many otherwise strong families.

357922[/snapback]

Don't freak out about this but: excellent point. I second it.

Look how 9/11 has affected this country, and the world. Who's to say it didn't push her over the edge. It's a pretty good bet she is not the only one.

Look how 9/11 has affected this country, and the world.  Who's to say it didn't push her over the edge.  It's a pretty good bet she is not the only one.

357929[/snapback]

You've just given me justification to go out and tag every piece of ass i can find, and when I get called a jerk I can just say I haven't been the same since 9/11

:blink:

Spoken just like someone who has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.

357961[/snapback]

(yes yes I know first-hand that depression isn't that easy but I said it for the comedic value, this is my idea of comedy when I'm half asleep with madTV skits on the brain, lol)...

One thing that was funny today that kinda relates to this while I was at work, I got an email from a person trying to find the University's selfesteem guide online. I found it for them, and was reading it. They had 3 types of people with low selfesteem. They gave each type a title. One of them was called "The Loser".

That struck me as hilarious. If I'm already in need of help with self esteem, don't call me a loser, lol.

(yes yes I know first-hand that depression isn't that easy but I said it for the comedic value, this is my idea of comedy when I'm half asleep with madTV skits on the brain, lol)...

One thing that was funny today that kinda relates to this while I was at work, I got an email from a person trying to find the University's selfesteem guide online.  I found it for them, and was reading it.  They had 3 types of people with low selfesteem.  They gave each type a title.  One of them was called "The Loser".

That struck me as hilarious.  If I'm already in need of help with self esteem, don't call me a loser, lol.

357962[/snapback]

That IS funny. In a sad way. What moron thought that up?

Last I checked SGLI was $250K - but Debbie is actually correct as well.  The death benefit is $12.5K

357997[/snapback]

I read an article a while back that said they were trying to increase SGLI to $400,000.

I remember when the army automatically enrolled everybody into the $200,000 SGLI coverage. It pissed off a lot of people. Anybody who changed their coverage back to nothing or $100,000, received a negative counseling statement in their folder.

I read an article a while back that said they were trying to increase SGLI to $400,000.

I remember when the army automatically enrolled everybody into the $200,000 SGLI coverage.  It pissed off a lot of people.  Anybody who changed their coverage back to nothing or $100,000, received a negative counseling statement in their folder.

358001[/snapback]

Wanna know what really pisses me off? VGLI. You can't get more coverage than you had at any time when you were in? Why is that? Am I not as much of a veteran than those who were lucky enough to be in when they finally raised the rate? Do my costs of living not go up just as theirs do? It ain't free, we pay for it, so what's the big deal?

Friggin' government.

You've just given me justification to go out and tag every piece of ass i can find, and when I get called a jerk I can just say I haven't been the same since 9/11

:doh:

357939[/snapback]

Um....I didn't know I was supposed to have justification to do that. :P:(;):P

Um....I didn't know I was supposed to have justification to do that.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

358276[/snapback]

well, now you have it courtesy of blzrul.

and if anyone asks why a woman would justify this kind of behavior from a man, tell them 9/11 hit some of us harder than others :D

well, now you have it courtesy of blzrul.

and if anyone asks why a woman would justify this kind of behavior from a man, tell them 9/11 hit some of us harder than others :lol:

358677[/snapback]

I think blzrul understands personal loss, very well. Most likely, better than most. If you lost your son, or your wife behind 9/11...I appologize in advance. Because I simply didn't know.

Debbie is good people. I remember a few years ago, when many here said this was a "family" (actually, it was to the other side...we've ALWAYS hated each other here...). No, it's not a family - but you do get a feel for those around you, after a time. If you take some time to learn them. Might not agree with Debbie, that doesn't make her a bad person. There are also a lot of folks who need to look up "cynical".

Oh well, this is one of those blow over posts. Back to the modern and improved PPP.

:lol:

357939[/snapback]

You're confusing justification and explanation. Is said woman justified in going out and blowing all her money in one giant depression-fuelled shopping spree? Probably not. Does depression explain her actions? Probably yes...

Somehow, I think the subtle differences are lost on most of you pinheads, though. Understanding what drives a person to do what they do does not mean you absolve them of responsibility...