NY Mets 2024 Season

Another Fan

14 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I had other stuff going on and saw next to none of the game. When my son told me the no-hitter was in progress I think it was middle of the 6th and the game was about an hour and 10 minutes in, wtf. I didn't have the option of watching the rest - listened to the bloop hit on the radio in the car and quickly turned it off. 

On a humorous note, the last thing I told my son before I headed out with the no-hitter in tact was to text his uncle and get him to Citi Field asap - Uncle Scott  was at Citi Field for both 'no hitters'.

LAMP time. Went to the game Friday night and I have the picture to prove it. When J.D. put one off the wall I was sure it was going out and went into arms up celebration mode. And you can't tell, but that's a Bills hoodie I'm wearing. Good times.

citi.jpg

Yeah when no hitters threat today deep into the games with teams we like (in this case the Mets) via texts with friends/families and or other notifications we get through or phones or what not it's really not that hard to miss.  Not a case of you need to be glued to the TV to catch stuff like that.  

One of my first Mets memories as a kid was watching this game in my grandmother's bedroom while she was babysitting me.  

https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/september-10-1991-rookie-pete-schoureks-1-hitter-leads-mets-past-expos/

Even as a little kid that felt kind of intense in the 5th inning watching that as I knew he didn't give up a hit yet and for him to keep that one hitter going.  As you like to say, good times!  

• Like (+1) 1

@Gugny @Another Fan @ExWNYer

Anyone catch the last play of the game tonight? A lot to unpack. Here are my scatterbrained thoughts:

I'm a bit surprised that the call on the field was out. Ump's view was probably blocked but from a side view it looked like Pete was in.

Tie goes to the runner? That's what it looked like to me on replay with the tag and Pete's hand hitting the plate after bouncing in front of it. 

Slow-motion instant replay is a waste of everyone's time - in every sport - unfortunately we've crossed the Rubicon. 

Did the Mets challenge whether Pete was safe or whether the plate was blocked? Not sure whether they did or whether they had to specify what they were challenging. For the record I hate the blocking the plate rules but....

....Mendoza was pretty adamant that MLB had made it clear that standing on or straddling the plate constituted blocking and Narvaez backed it up in a post-game interview. 

The SNY live feed caught the exchange between Mendoza and the ump after the replay decision and it was awesome.  Some salty language from Mendoza wrt standing/straddling and the ump telling him it was out of his hands. Sports could do with more of that live interaction between refs and players/coaches. One of the upstart football leagues had a mike on the replay official walking through the decision process and if you ever caught any hot mikes of NHL refs warning players during live play to tone things or they'll get called it's awesome. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Anyone catch the last play of the game tonight? A lot to unpack. Here are my scatterbrained thoughts:

I'm a bit surprised that the call on the field was out. Ump's view was probably blocked but from a side view it looked like Pete was in.

Tie goes to the runner? That's what it looked like to me on replay with the tag and Pete's hand hitting the plate after bouncing in front of it. 

Slow-motion instant replay is a waste of everyone's time - in every sport - unfortunately we've crossed the Rubicon. 

Did the Mets challenge whether Pete was safe or whether the plate was blocked? Not sure whether they did or whether they had to specify what they were challenging. For the record I hate the blocking the plate rules but....

....Mendoza was pretty adamant that MLB had made it clear that standing on or straddling the plate constituted blocking and Narvaez backed it up in a post-game interview. 

The SNY live feed caught the exchange between Mendoza and the ump after the replay decision and it was awesome.  Some salty language from Mendoza wrt standing/straddling and the ump telling him it was out of his hands. Sports could do with more of that live interaction between refs and players/coaches. One of the upstart football leagues had a mike on the replay official walking through the decision process and if you ever caught any hot mikes of NHL refs warning players during live play to tone things or they'll get called it's awesome. 

I thought he looked safe at first but slowing it down I'm not 100% sure Pete's hand after touched home plate.  

Maybe because they had a nice come from behind win today I'm not as upset about it.  Lindor had a nice day.  

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

@Another Fan @Gugny @ExWNYer

Pretty deflating watching the Mets getting no-hit two outs into the 9th on Saturday. But the decision by the Braves to go with their closer up 4 just to preserve the no-hitter bit them on Sunday when they couldn't hold a 1 run lead. 

Loved the way the game ended. Small ball. Bunt for a base hit. Another bunt to move the runner over. And a bomb to win the game. 

Great baseball. Great win. 

My expectations are still low for the season, but I love watching wins like tonight !

LFGM!!

• Like (+1) 2

@Gugny @SinceThe70s @Another Fan

Up 4-2 in the ninth, Diaz blew another save against the damn Phillies tonight and the Mets lost 5-4 in ten. He's already allowed three HRs on the year and is looking more like pre-COVID Diaz than 2022 Diaz. Oh well, fug it. We're flying from Richmond to JFK in the morning with a layover and then on to Rome. Rome, Florence, Venice, & Tuscany await...free of Mets aggravation. Take care fellas, see you online in a couple of weeks. Ciao!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Up 4-2 in the ninth, Diaz blew another save against the damn Phillies tonight and the Mets lost 5-4 in ten. He's already allowed three HRs on the year and is looking more like pre-COVID Diaz than 2022 Diaz. Oh well, fug it. We're flying from Richmond to JFK in the morning with a layover and then on to Rome. Rome, Florence, Venice, & Tuscany await...free of Mets aggravation. Take care fellas, see you online in a couple of weeks. Ciao!

Unless you happen to run into Mike Piazza 😅…..   I think he’s a coach of Team Italy the last I heard in baseball?

Enjoy the trip 

1 minute ago, Another Fan said:

Unless you happen to run into Mike Piazza 😅…..   I think he’s a coach of Team Italy the last I heard in baseball?

Enjoy the trip 

Thanks! If I see him I'll tell him that his former team is back in their rightful place as the overpaid embarrassment of the NL. 😁 :devil:

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Last night was great, tonight was brutal. Definitely concerned about Diaz. 

Have a great vacation! 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

Have a great vacation! 

Thanks, appreciate it! Diaz was one of the few things I was looking forward to this year and that has already gone bust. At least Christian Scott looks like he might be worth getting excited about going forward. We'll see. So far, he looks like the real deal. 

5 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Have a great vacation! 

As much as I hate the blown save, I hate the little league “runner on second” rule about A BILLION times more. 

It’s pathetic. 

And I’m normally not one to blame umps, but they were horrible tonight. 

Not worried about Diaz. 

Yet. 

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

As much as I hate the blown save, I hate the little league “runner on second” rule about A BILLION times more. 

It’s pathetic. 

And I’m normally not one to blame umps, but they were horrible tonight. 

Not worried about Diaz. 

Yet. 

Agreed on the runner on second. badol had a great line, he calls it the Manfred Man.

I was in the not worried about Diaz camp before last night, but this is starting to look like history repeating. The difference this time around is we've seen him be dominant.

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

Agreed on the runner on second. badol had a great line, he calls it the Manfred Man.

I was in the not worried about Diaz camp before last night, but this is starting to look like history repeating. The difference this time around is we've seen him be dominant.

What concerns me (it has for years, but it seems to be even worse now) is how a single against the Mets is just an eventual double. 

The inability of this team to throw out runners/hold them in first is mind-boggling. 

Lindor showed his frustrations on the field a couple weeks ago, which did not bother me. 

When he proceeded to basically tell the pitcher (I forgot who was on the mound) when to pitch the ball, that did bother me. 

Lastly (for now), I LOVE Ottavino, but he needs some sort of reset. They’re going to him too much, which just underscores how bad this pitching staff really is right now. 

Diaz blows another one. Off the top of my head I can't think of another player who I had zero confidence in (2019) and then had the utmost confidence in (2022) and now I'm trending back to no confidence.  Hopefully just bumps in the road coming off the injury. If not, he could be part of another trade deadline purge - along with Polar Bear.

7 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Diaz blows another one. Off the top of my head I can't think of another player who I had zero confidence in (2019) and then had the utmost confidence in (2022) and now I'm trending back to no confidence.  Hopefully just bumps in the road coming off the injury. If not, he could be part of another trade deadline purge - along with Polar Bear.

On the bright side at least they won tonight.  But yeah Diaz isnt instilling much faith in me either.  

While I don’t hate the Phillies as much as the average Met fan does, a 4 game sweep by the Phils coupled with the Rangers winning tonight would have been brutal.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

On the bright side at least they won tonight.  But yeah Diaz isnt instilling much faith in me either.  

While I don’t hate the Phillies as much as the average Met fan does, a 4 game sweep by the Phils coupled with the Rangers winning tonight would have been brutal.  

As I've gotten older and endured countless losing seasons and/or disappointments by the Mets, Bills and Islanders I've walked back my hatred of rival teams success. Their success still rankles me, just not like it used to. In the past I stopped watching hockey after both the Isles and Rangers seasons ended. If the Rangers were still alive I was heavily invested in their demise and watched a lot of the games until they got eliminated. More recently I just follow them through the headlines and hope they lose. Didn't see a minute of the past series but was still hoping they'd have an epic collapse after going up 3-0. Oh well, hopefully their fanbase (including some close friends) will have their hearts ripped out next round. Either way it doesn't materially change my life.