Bills Mafia Book Club!

TheyCallMeAndy

22 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Earlier in the thread, I mentioned that I was halfway through The Earthburst Saga by Craig A. Falconer. I'm near the end now, and, wow what a thrill ride! Interesting characters, cool futuristic tech (maybe 10-20 years away for some of it), plot twists, and, like driving thru the Rocky Mountains, there are ups, downs, and something spectacular around every corner. I highly recommend it, and Amazon sells the Kindle version for $0.99 - for the whole series. I'll be reading more of his work.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/360931-the-earthburst-saga

I just finished the 6th book in the "complete" box set only to find that there's more: at least one more book. I like a variety of genres and I have about 8 books in my queue, so I don’t think I'll continue this one right away, if at all. I liked the conclusion of the 6th book, other than the final scene with the "to be continued" message, so I'm content with that.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just finished re-reading Ronald Reng's "A Life Too Short" about the German soccer goalie Robert Enke who was on his way to become the top choice for the German national team for the 2010 World Cup. However, suffering from depression, Enke killed himself in November 2009. Reng's book is powerful testimony how even highly successful individuals can be afflicted by depression. The book won several awards, including British Sports Book of the Year.

For some lighter entertainment, try "The Keeper of Dreams" by the same author. It chronicles the career of another German goalie who, coming from a forth division soccer club in Germany, suddenly ended up in the English Premier League. Especially enlightening are the accounts of day-to-day life in the Premier League, which is not always so glamorous.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/15/2024 at 10:43 PM, DrW said:

I just finished re-reading Ronald Reng's "A Life Too Short" about the German soccer goalie Robert Enke who was on his way to become the top choice for the German national team for the 2010 World Cup. However, suffering from depression, Enke killed himself in November 2009. Reng's book is powerful testimony how even highly successful individuals can be afflicted by depression. The book won several awards, including British Sports Book of the Year.

For some lighter entertainment, try "The Keeper of Dreams" by the same author. It chronicles the career of another German goalie who, coming from a forth division soccer club in Germany, suddenly ended up in the English Premier League. Especially enlightening are the accounts of day-to-day life in the Premier League, which is not always so glamorous.

Very cool! Thanks for keeping the thread alive! 

I just got home from my “bookstore”, a/k/a Costco where I picked up a couple easy reads, a Baldacci and whoever wrote this one for Patterson. 

My wife is still trying to finish The Art of Racing In The Rain. I liked that one, but she just doesn’t have much time.

Recently finished "Persuader" (a Jack Reacher novel), which I believe is the book that Season 3 of the show will be based on. Currently reading "Burn Book" by Kara Swisher, a long time tech reporter since the early days of the internet. The book basically dishes on all of the one-time wonderboys of the tech world who are now by and large a bunch of d-cks.

After that, I have the "3 World Problem" trilogy on deck...not sure yet if I'll read them all back-to-back or take a break with something a bit less dense in between.