VIDEO: Chiefs were prepared for fake punt

beebe

Maybe the Chiefs put 10 guys out there knowing the Bills would do a crappy fake punt if they did😯

Really though I think a fake punt was a good call but that was just terrible execution and Hamlin isn't anything close to a running back.

Edited by bmur66

47 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

The ST were bad this season.  Blame McDermott for that if you want, but then, what exactly is Smiley's job?

You missed the point.  The fake punt was not called by Smiley, it was called for by McD.  

It was ill-advised out of the gate, and as many people have pointed out, using Hamlin to run it?   Honestly, even as the play is developing I found myself saying WTF.  

Meanwhile, the message that it sends it that Allen can't overcome that punt on offense.  

Be it as it may, we can pin that on Smiley, but McD knew who would be carrying the ball on that one and could have come up with another option.  Even their defense wasn't fooled, that's how predictable McD has become.  

We averaged 3.6 Yards-per-Play in the 2nd Half.  3.6!!  To add some perspective to that, the absolute worst DFL team in the league in YPP on the season was Carolina at 4.1.  

This game was a clinic game on how, once again, McD was outcoached (via being terminally [literally there re: the team]) out-adjusted by Reid in the 2nd-Half.  

Adjusting is a glaring weakness of McD, seven seasons in as a HC.  It's shameful.   

You're right, our STs wasn't good this season, but that's not the reason why we lost on Sunday.  McD is, ... once again.  Terminate Smiley if they want, it won't change anything.  He's simply the next scapegoat in the never-ending string of 'em.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, pennstate10 said:

No.  That’s exactly the problem. McD hears that he’s too conservative, so he decides to shut up his critics and be aggressive at the wrong time. Yes, it was an aggressive call. You know what else?  It was a stupid decision.

Penn States coach (James Franklin) does the exact same thing. Calling a fake FG from the 2 yd line. Is that aggressive?  Yup, no one expects it. Why? Because it’s stupid. 

Here's my stance because I never said it was smart or the right thing to do. Just because a coach makes an aggressive call doesn't mean it was the right one. My whole point in the first place was that Fans views (not all) on the play will waver based on if it was successful or not. There isn't a whole lot to argue there. I've heard people say McD should be fired because of it, BUT I'd the play was successful (and we won the game) would we be saying he would be fired?  I didn't like the play, I was yelling at the tv at the time that they should have put it in joshs hand. Now after thinking more, I think punting would have been the choice. 
the problem here is you can't say anything objectively without others twisting your words or assuming your saying something you're not. Was the play stupid? Probably yeah but I still think fans would have a different tone had it worked. That's it period. 

(not saying you were doing any of these things, just trying to point it out since you were the last to respond to me. Go Bills!)

7 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

Hamlin blew it he kept shifting clearly alerting them something was up.   Had never seen him do that on any previous punts.

Yeah I was wondering what was going on with that. Didn’t have to wait too long for the answer. Some posters knew it was a fake punt. If they knew I have to think the Chiefs knew as well.

14 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I was wondering why Hamlin. Sal brought up a good point. If they had switched players it would have given away what the Bills were about to do. I hate that it was Hamlin but I get what he's saying. 

They gave it away by moving Hamlin around before the snap. This team is not very good at trickery. They telegraph pretty much everything they do. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.