Miscommunication, OTAs, and dedication

pennstate10

It might be my imagination, but I think the Bills have more miscommunication leading to TDs or missed TDs than most of the top teams.

For instance, last night Kelce first TD, the Allen end zone INT 2 weeks ago, the missed winning TD to Davis in Philly OT.

Why do Bills have all these miscommunications?

In Malcolm Gladwell's  book “Outliers”,  he outlines a "10,000 hour" rule; it takes 10,000 hours of intensive practice to achieve complete mastery of complex skills and materials, like playing the violin or shooting slap shots, or running a pool table.  I'm not taking this rule as gospel truth, but I think it is a good starting point.  As you practice any skill, you acquire a "muscle memory".  Which can be intellectual as well, knowing and reacting, not thinking, because you're practiced a situation a zillion times.

Maybe 20 yrs ago, the best teams (ie, Manning's Colts) started organizing their own off season passing drills.  They won a Super Bowl, and organized team activities (OTA) became a trend.

Here's the thing.  Bills dont really seem to have great "buy in" for their OTAs.  Key players routinely miss these, and the mantra is "they're voluntary".  Yup, players who are truly motivated volunteer for these.  I hear about how certain players refuse to lose, and are hyper-competitive, but some of these same players don't show up for OTAs.  Its their time off, per contract.  Which is true.  By the way, how many of you get 6 months vacation per year?

A couple years back, one of the backup Bills QBs organized passing drills.  Maybe not coincidentally, the passing offense in 2020-2021 was outstanding.

Bills have one of the most talented rosters in the NFL.  And a supreme talent at the most important position.  And hard working, well respected coaches.  But I'm thinking that until the players show comparable dedication, the playoffs is their peak.  To scale that peak requires dedication.

eh, when your number 1 receiver can't catch a ball that hits both his hands, and your number 1 RB has absolute butterfingers at the worst moments, not sure OTAs are going to make much difference

draft some impact players, WR, LB, S.  find someone who can coach our ultra luxury DL into something worth what it costs

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

It might be my imagination, but I think the Bills have more miscommunication leading to TDs or missed TDs than most of the top teams.

For instance, last night Kelce first TD, the Allen end zone INT 2 weeks ago, the missed winning TD to Davis in Philly OT.

Why do Bills have all these miscommunications?

In Malcolm Gladwell's  book “Outliers”,  he outlines a "10,000 hour" rule; it takes 10,000 hours of intensive practice to achieve complete mastery of complex skills and materials, like playing the violin or shooting slap shots, or running a pool table.  I'm not taking this rule as gospel truth, but I think it is a good starting point.  As you practice any skill, you acquire a "muscle memory".  Which can be intellectual as well, knowing and reacting, not thinking, because you're practiced a situation a zillion times.

Maybe 20 yrs ago, the best teams (ie, Manning's Colts) started organizing their own off season passing drills.  They won a Super Bowl, and organized team activities (OTA) became a trend.

Here's the thing.  Bills dont really seem to have great "buy in" for their OTAs.  Key players routinely miss these, and the mantra is "they're voluntary".  Yup, players who are truly motivated volunteer for these.  I hear about how certain players refuse to lose, and are hyper-competitive, but some of these same players don't show up for OTAs.  Its their time off, per contract.  Which is true.  By the way, how many of you get 6 months vacation per year?

A couple years back, one of the backup Bills QBs organized passing drills.  Maybe not coincidentally, the passing offense in 2020-2021 was outstanding.

Bills have one of the most talented rosters in the NFL.  And a supreme talent at the most important position.  And hard working, well respected coaches.  But I'm thinking that until the players show comparable dedication, the playoffs is their peak.  To scale that peak requires dedication.

One play involved the absence of THREE major defensive leaders, and the other two involved Gabe Davis, who seems to have these miscommunications all the time. The Bills don't have an OTA problem... they simply could not replace those who cement the defense and didn't have a true WR2 until Shakir showed out and made Davis expendable.

I read in here this morning that the Bills had only 2 "walk throughs" and no practices in prep for this game, even though my calendar says they had FIVE FULL FREE DAYS (Tuesday-Saturday) before Sunday rolled around!

Yeah, there's definitely something to be said about dedication, drive, and ambition affecting your success. I have been saying all year that most of the Bills have had very little of the aforementioned traits.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.