Any opinion on Rachel Nichols?

Not that I'm a big fan of Rachel Nichols (because I'm not)...but i will defend her on the grounds that was not handed the job on a silver platter.  She did pay her dues in print journalism and was a very successful sports writer & columnist for the Washington Post.  Apparently she wanted to make the leap to tv and she got some small gigs in New York until ESPN gave her some work.  I've read about her in DC and word is that she is a much more talented writer than a TV personality.

354662[/snapback]

No, she wasn't just handed the job. She did have to pay her dues. However, that does not change how ESPN's staff policy philosophy favors women over men. Would Rachel Nichols have gotten where she is without this? Very likely, I would say. Would a man of equal talent have an even more difficult time? Probably.

Some of the preference comes from the idea that a hot woman will attract male viewers and that having women more-involved in general, will broaden ESPN's appeal to females.

In the past, things might have been different but this is how this company operates currently.

That's a brutal picture of her.....and I also saw this posted on another website.  This about the only one google turns out, which is hard to believe.

She's hotter than this pic though.

354667[/snapback]

I find her attractive on TV, I will say. And yes, a byline pic doesn't do her justice. I have heard her on talk shows too and she seems nice based on that.

That's a brutal picture of her.....and I also saw this posted on another website.  This about the only one google turns out, which is hard to believe.

She's hotter than this pic though.

354667[/snapback]

If she takes any face time away from Stuart Scott, I'm a fan!!!

No, she wasn't just handed the job. She did have to pay her dues. That does not change how ESPN's staff policy philosophy favors women over men.

354665[/snapback]

I'll take your word for it. I don't know anything about ESPN's hiring philosophy.

By the way, i don't think she's hot on TV.

If she takes any face time away from Stuart Scott, I'm a fan!!!

354672[/snapback]

I wish some idiot at another network would hire him away to do something I won't watch and ESPN can begin to perhaps slowly return to being about sports and not hype.

A man can dream, can't he?

I think she got alot better as of today... I had seen her over the past month or so and she just seemed so fake, the way she talked and everything it was like she was over-anunciating her words with her mouth. But i saw her today and she seemed alot more normal. her voice sounded more real and i didnt mind her as much.

She's good looking. When she first came on ESPN the way she said "ESPN" at the end of her reports was real funny, I believe they actually may have made here tone it down because she has scaled it back recently.

Shes average looking, but the problem i have with her is there no emotion in her reports...shes monotone, and looks at the camera funny (this comes from staring at the teleprompter)...she just doesnt do it for me sportscaster wise or looks wise...

Not that I'm a big fan of Rachel Nichols (because I'm not)...but i will defend her on the grounds that was not handed the job on a silver platter.  She did pay her dues in print journalism and was a very successful sports writer & columnist for the Washington Post.  Apparently she wanted to make the leap to tv and she got some small gigs in New York until ESPN gave her some work.  I've read about her in DC and word is that she is a much more talented writer than a TV personality.

354662[/snapback]

She was known in Dc as being quite the party animal. Her reputation was not one of being a choir girl if you know aht i mean. Think some of the Redskins knew her"quite well".

Anyway, I thought her columns sucked, her reporting sucked, and she sukcs now.