simple but tasty veg sauce I just tried, has anyone else heard of this?

Beck Water

Saw on one of those Facebook reels

1 can diced tomatoes

1 can plain canned pumpkin

Blend or process until smooth

I used this as a sauce in a pot pie - fried up some peppers, garlic, onions, cherry tomatoes, diced summer squash, tossed in the sauce blend along with some spices, cooked until it thickened a bit, added diced hardboiled egg and a couple packets of salmon.  Topped with biscuits and into the oven

Yum

Almost everything comes from some culinary tradition, anyone heard of this sauce?  Wondering what its culinary roots might be

Anyway, not the same flavor as a cream sauce, but simple and tasty

Edit: if anyone is interested in trying the recipe, the spice blend I used was Vom Fass FassZination Kurbis Gewurz, which is German pumpkin spice.  It's very different than American Pumpkin Spice mix.  Ingredients are Black Pepper, Turmeric, Coconut powder (not sweetened), coriander, cumin, cardamom, paprika, salt, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, garlic, and sugar.  I wasn't shy, I tossed in a couple of tablespoons.  Curry powder plus black pepper and paprika or Garam Masala might be ~ similar.

Edited by Beck Water

Can't say it sounds appetizing but I'll give it a shot.

I recently found some vegetarian spreads at the store that I love on toasted bread. One is Avjar which is made from roasted red pepper. There's another they call eggplant bruschetta which is pretty much what the name describes. 

On 12/20/2023 at 6:38 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Sounds delightful!

Thanx...

Probably a modern America's dish. Aren't pumpkins and tomatoes America's in origin that made it's way around the globe?

Depends upon your definition of modern I guess....tomatoes and squash came to Europe in the 16th century, but didn't really become common in culinary use until 18th century.  When squash/pumpkins got to India is apparently a matter of debate, but along with tomatoes 16th century for sure, after which they were enthusiastically incorporated into the food.  It's kind of weird really, potatoes were introduced in the same time frame and spread all over Europe because of their yield per acre.  But early European colonists in America depended heavily on pumpkins and squash for similar reasons - very productive and easy to grow.

Anyway, Europeans and Australians seem to do much more interesting savory things with pumpkin, whereas in America it's been relegated to Thanksgiving pie.

Not that there's anything wrong with Thanksgiving pie.

My best guess is that the cultural origin of this particular combination is somewhere in India, and that the use of canned pumpkin is possibly a German innovation? But that's a total WAG

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/21/2023 at 8:33 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

Can't say it sounds appetizing but I'll give it a shot.

I recently found some vegetarian spreads at the store that I love on toasted bread. One is Avjar which is made from roasted red pepper. There's another they call eggplant bruschetta which is pretty much what the name describes. 

You should try Lutenitsa.  It’s a basic Bulgarian sauce containing roasted tomatoes, red peppers and eggplant.   My favorite Lutenitsa recipe

I actually like it better than traditional spaghettis sauce on pasta even though I assume in Bulgaria that would be considered an improper use of it.  

I am a little surprised this is not big around Buffalo given the historical ties to eastern Europe.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.