Pit Bulls

Frez

How to survive a Pit Bull Attack

You have to cut off it's air supply at its neck and make it pass out.  If you can't do that, you're toast.

351622[/snapback]

Or try to break one or more of its legs or gouge and eye out. Then don't stop, keep doing it.

Pit Bulls are mentally retarded dogs. They're psychotic. They're peaceful as a stoned hippie one moment and then things such as this happen the next without any provocation whatsoever.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we forget sometimes even though dogs and cats are "house pets" that they are indeed still just animals. Incapable of understanding reason or logic as all animals are, other than human beings.

Like Any animal wild or "tame" they still go off instinct. You can't question a dog as to why it attacks someone as they're incapable of coming up with a defense for themselves.

With that said I've met nice pitbulls and I've met pitbulls I don't want to be anywhere near . They have an extremely bad rap, but with a loving home and responsible ownership such as not leaving a young child home with 2 pitbulls they can be mans best friend.

Aren't Pit Bulls MEAN and VICIOUS?

No more vicious than golden retrievers, beagles or other popular dogs! In a recent study of 122 dog breeds by the American Temperament Testing Society (ATT), pit bulls achieved a passing rate of 83.9%. That's as good or better than beagles ... 78.2%, and golden retrievers ... 83.2%. How did your favorite breed do? See for yourself: ATTS.org

The first dog I have has in my life is a PITBULL and let me explain somehing to everyone. Comign from some that has trained dogs for 4 years, the pitbull is a very loving and very smart dog. These dogs love their master SO MUCH that they will go to whatever means t omake them happy. Now, you take an animal like this, raise them and teach them to be mean and agressive they will go to the outer means to do that, cause thats what master wants. In this scenario with this 12 years old something happened that instigated for these dogs to do what they did, not that I agree with it because pitbulls know better when properly raised. Either the 12 yr old was being mean to the dogs when alone with them or the owners did not know about it to teach the kids not to bother them or teach the dogs not t oeven growl at the kids. Especially when they growled at others outside the house. I have a female know and she is extremely protective over my wife and my two boys. A nine year old and a 2 month old. This is my third pitbull and from what I know they are great dogs, just brought up incorrectly by owners.

I have a friend that has a pit bull that is the friendliest dog I have ever seen....around kids, other dogs, even cats....

I still wont let my kids go anywhere near it without me standing right there.....ever

The best dog I have ever owned is my old german shepard.....smart, loyal, actually saved my sons life when he was a baby.

That sounds like it will work.  I know of two that had to be put down because of defective hips.

352389[/snapback]

Seeing as their nose is among the most sensitive parts of the body, why not just pummel the nose with fist or some other blunt object? Or better yet, if a rock or hammer are available crack it's dome.

Seeing as their nose is among the most sensitive parts of the body, why not just pummel the nose with fist or some other blunt object? Or better yet, if a rock or hammer are available crack it's dome.

352858[/snapback]

Because the nose happens to be right above the teeth? :lol:

I think we forget sometimes even though dogs and cats are "house pets"  that they are indeed still just animals.  Incapable of understanding reason or logic as all animals are, other than human beings. 

With that said  I've met nice pitbulls and I've met pitbulls I don't want to be anywhere near .  They have an extremely bad rap, but with a loving home and responsible ownership such as not leaving a young child home with 2 pitbulls  they can be mans best friend. 

Aren't Pit Bulls MEAN and VICIOUS?

No more vicious than golden retrievers, beagles or other popular dogs! In a recent study of 122 dog breeds by the American Temperament Testing Society (ATT), pit bulls achieved a passing rate of 83.9%. That's as good or better than beagles ... 78.2%, and golden retrievers ... 83.2%. How did your favorite breed do? See for yourself: ATTS.org

352597[/snapback]

This test is misleading at best in the context of whether a dog is vicious or not.

Test Evaluation Criteria

Failure on any part of the test is recognized when a dog shows:

-Unprovoked aggression

-Panic without recovery

-Strong avoidance

Only one of those will lead to death. The other 2/3 of the failure criteria may lead to a biting incident, but, once a panicked dog or one with strong avoidance sees an escape route, they will run, not continue the attack. While I don't like it, I can live with my kid getting tagged by my dog. I couldn't live with my kid getting killed by my dog. If this webpage broke down what the failure mechanism was, it might provide some useful info. I own Shetland Sheepdogs (Failure rate of 66%) and have fostered them in the area rescue. The AKC breed standard for Shelties includes a reserved nature as part of their conformation criteria. So yes, a breed can be bred for a specific nature. Sometimes Sheltie breeders go overboard with the reserved trait and they end up with a litter of very shy dogs. Most rescues are extremely shy with strangers. They don't attack, though, they run or if they can get away, or they cower. A Sheltie in a Dog Pound is almost always put to sleep because of the environment and the dog's reaction. One we had literally hid under the bed when a car parked in our driveway. But once it had a chance to get aclimated to the visitors he was great with the kids that came in that car. He ended up going to a family with two little boys and has done extremely well.

I have also had a Golden who literally had a two year old insert a finger into his eye socket. He yelped, but he never show any aggression. But he had a fear of smooth surfaces to the point that he would just lay down and whimper. (hardwood floors were a bain to his existence.)

Both of these examples would mean the dog would fail according to their test criteria, but neither suggests that the dog would attack anyone.

Consider this: what breeds are used as seeing eye dogs? GSDs, Labs, and Goldens. Why aren't Rotties, Dobies, and Akitas used?

I think we have all been in bars or other places where people talk about their Shepherds, Rottweilers, Pinschers, etc., and brag with words such as "They'de better not come on MY property" and so forth.

Do a search about obtaining such breeds - you will find language telling you how tough and dangerous they are, as well as disclaimers, i.e., "to the best of my knowledge, it is not dangerous" etc.

A bite from a collie or a beagle can hurt; a bite, the so-called "first bite" of some breeds can and are catastrophic - hundreds or thousands of stiches, broken bones, horrible disfigurement, even death.

Almost invariably, when such occurs, the owner says something like "I had NO idea".

Right.

Or, "Well, the child shouldn't have walked up to the fence or approached my dog - they must have teased it, ya know". They tell their homeowner's insurance company that they own a "mixed breed". Liars.

IMO, that's why most such breeds are purchased in the first place...to hide behind an insensate animal, which with even with the best of training of these jealous breeds, terrible things happen. These characteristics were bred into them, in the same fashion that border collies were bred to hurry sheep or retrievers were bred to recover game. They all respond to those centuries of breeding and act accordingly.

I do not understand why someone would take this chance, why they would expose innocents (not to mention their own families - that's where a goodly portion of the violence is visited) to such potentially terrible fates. Folks who would not think of booby-trapping their property - against the law - seem to think nothing about keeping animals behind mere 4 or 6 foot fences that are easily surmounted.

There is never a guarantee that a dog, however well trained, will not attack. Never.

Bull Terriers are banned in England, most all breeds capable of inflicting grevious bodily harm are banned or restricted in Germany (e.g. muzzled when out of doors - such a simple step).

Best dog story ever.

I have a black lab. Bast damn dog period.

352920[/snapback]

"Police said the owner of the pit bull -- Francisco Akins, 33, -- was shaken by the incident and was worried about the boy. He received citations for not restraining the dog and failing to have a dog license, police said. He could not be reached for comment."

This guy should be JAILED for endagering minors, assault with a deadly weapon and reckless endangerment.

The justice system in this nation is a joke.

:lol:

I think we have all been in bars or other places where people talk about their Shepherds, Rottweilers, Pinschers, etc., and brag with words such as "They'de better not come on MY property" and so forth.

Do a search about obtaining such breeds - you will find language telling you how tough and dangerous they are, as well as disclaimers, i.e., "to the best of my knowledge, it is not dangerous" etc.

A bite from a collie or a beagle can hurt; a bite, the so-called "first bite" of some breeds can and are catastrophic - hundreds or thousands of stiches, broken bones, horrible disfigurement, even death.

Almost invariably, when such occurs, the owner says something like "I had NO idea".

Right.

Or, "Well, the child shouldn't have walked up to the fence or approached my dog - they must have teased it, ya know". They tell their homeowner's insurance company that they own a "mixed breed". Liars.

IMO, that's why most such breeds are purchased in the first place...to hide behind an insensate animal, which with even with the best of training of these jealous breeds, terrible things happen. These characteristics were bred into them, in the same fashion that border collies were bred to hurry sheep or retrievers were bred to recover game. They all respond to those centuries of breeding and act accordingly.

I do not understand why someone would take this chance, why they would expose innocents (not to mention their own families - that's where a goodly portion of the violence is visited) to such potentially terrible fates.  Folks who would not think of booby-trapping their property - against the law - seem to think nothing about keeping animals behind mere 4 or 6 foot fences that are easily surmounted.

There is never a guarantee that a dog, however well trained, will not attack. Never.

Bull Terriers are banned in England, most all breeds capable of inflicting grevious bodily harm are banned or restricted in Germany (e.g. muzzled when out of doors - such a simple step).

352919[/snapback]

Yeah, I hate freedom too. Let's follow the English and Germans. Shoot, let's just give up all our rights and become subserviant to the crown or Hitler.

Yeah, I hate freedom too.  Let's follow the English and Germans.  Shoot, let's just give up all our rights and become subserviant to the crown or Hitler. 

352941[/snapback]

Nice dance between the raindrops.

A weak response...change the subject, invoke Hitler, etc.

Son, you disappoint me here. :D

Yeah, I hate freedom too.  Let's follow the English and Germans.  Shoot, let's just give up all our rights and become subserviant to the crown or Hitler. 

352941[/snapback]

Here is a better statistics report, although it would be better if there was some way to track the numbers of a particular breed and do this per capita. For example, I would suspect that the more populous breeds may not be as big of a risk even if they show up on the lists.

I don't believe there should be a law banning those breeds. All that will do is create other breeds that have similar traits, since there are those who think a dog willing and capable of killing people is desirable. I do however believe that the owner carries a lot more responsibilty in owning a Pit Bull or other statistically agressive breed, anyone purchasing a dog like that needs to be made aware of those risks.

Would you buy a hydrogen powered car that was a really great quality automobile except for the chance it might explode like the Hindenberg in a fender bender? Hydrogen would make a great fuel source, but the risk isn't worth the benefit. Well, the Pit Bulls breed may be nice most of the time, but statistically they are involved with in more deaths than any other breed. Are they worth the risk?

My wife was given a Lab/Shepard mix puppy when she graduated from high school. That dog was wonderful 99.9% of the time. But it's the 0.1% that matters. After biting the Matron of Honor's niece on our wedding day, for the second time, my wife was still making excuses for him. Three months later there was another issue with a non-family member. This time he was taken to be put down if for no other reason than liability. It was brutally painful to take that dog from my wife and her tears to the vet.

The point of this story is that knowingly purchasing a breed like a Pit Bull is as irresponsible as if I had decided not to put that mixed breed down. There is enough evidence to show that while 99.9% of the time Pit Bulls are great dogs, the 0.1% can be deadly.

What I noticed is a lot of times is that a pitbull is always blamed.

"Well a dog attacked little Timmy......" "Ahh Well you know how pitbulls are"

The first thing anyone ever thinks about in the case of dog agression on other dogs or people is a pitbull. It's Media sensationalism at it's finest. When a pitbull attacks someoneone the headline is

"VICIOUS PITBULL TERRORIZES NEIGHBORS"

When it's another breed it's

"DOG ATTACKS LADY"

It might not seem like much, but the media has done more to generalize pitbulls as vicious man killers, than the dogs themselves have. The fact is it's an undeserved reputation. 100 years ago Pitbulls weren't known as vicious killers. They were police dogs, good loyal family companions, and now cause of stupid sh-- like wanting to be "street cool" hoodlums and punks buy pitbulls to show off to their friends.

"Yeah I got this pit demon today he's a killer"

When reality is most of the time Demon is probably the nicest dog that punk is gonna meet, unless said owner tourtres that dog to the point where it has no choice but to be weary of people and agressive to other dogs and or people thus living up to it's reputation as a brutual killer.

Half the time it could not even be pittbulls that commit these attacks but "mix breed" and or dogs like Mastiffs and Bull Mastiffs and akitas and or chow chows as at one time or another they have all been mistaken for being a pitbull just because they were involved in an attack.

Are Pitbulls dog agressive yes. Maybe not so as pups, but between 1-3 years of age I wouldn't reccomend having pitbulls around other animals. It's in their nature to be weary of other dogs.

Are Pitbulls human agressive? NO! What possible sense would having a human agressive dog make? If this was the case the pitbull breed would've died out a long time ago. No one wants a dog that could attack them in their sleep. Dogs only become human agressive cause of mental disorders such as rage syndrome, or because they were tortured by punk owners, or cause they felt threatned and or scared or cornered.

Nice dance between the raindrops.

A weak response...change the subject, invoke Hitler, etc.

Son, you disappoint me here. :lol:

353014[/snapback]

Not much different than your argument, grasshopper. Hence...

We've danced this dance before and you were wrong then too.

Not much different than your argument, grasshopper.  Hence...

We've danced this dance before and you were wrong then too.

353032[/snapback]

Good Lord, you ARE becoming a Democratic speechwriter. The denigrations, the assured posits, the imperial dismissals continuing on from your previous post.

But we are still friends, right? :lol:

The only dog breed I really dont care for is German Shepards.  They are scary protective and they are the dog most likely to turn on their owners.  Pit bulls are great dogs

352515[/snapback]

Uhh, excuse me? If there is one problem with Shepherds, they are loyal to a fault. I have owned one for 10 years, he is a better babysitter to my children then anyone I could pay.

I don't post often, but some peoples ignorance is irritating. Buy a Shepherd, and I guarentee you, there is a better chance of your wife being unfaithful, then your Shepherd growling at you.

Uhh,  excuse me?  If there is one problem with Shepherds,  they are loyal to a fault.  I have owned one for 10 years,  he is a better babysitter to my children then anyone I could pay. 

I don't post often,  but some peoples ignorance is irritating.  Buy a Shepherd,  and I guarentee you,  there is a better chance of your wife being unfaithful,  then your Shepherd growling at you.

353087[/snapback]

Again, it gets back to breeding and the caring of the animal. I have a Shepherd that was abused by the breeder. We have rescued him from the breeder and he is wonderful around us. He has no trouble with my brother or mother. Sometimes, he loves my father and is great around him and sometimes he barks at him. Nobody else would be able to enter our house, even with us there.

He is very comfortable with my wife and I, but he has become very protective. We have made great strides in trying to reverse this behavior, but we accept that we will never be able to leave him off his leash when others come into our house regardless of his progress.