Another OTA TV thread

Just Jack

I would have bumped an old thread, but they're all in the archives. 

I've been using rabbit ears inside which was okay for some channels, (NBC, CBS) but ABC and FOX were iffy.  Today I mounted an outdoor antenna and now I've got the reverse, ABC and Fox come in better, but NBC and CBS have issues with low signal.  I did look to see where the towers are located, and picked a direction in-between thinking that would work.  Here's some info...

Tower directions (they are about 10 miles from my home)

The antenna I installed

I'm thinking I need a type of multidirectional antenna instead, because of how close the towers are.  I don't want a super large antenna.  Any suggestions on what to buy? 

What general area do you live? I've got the  $30  antenna from Best Buy.  Am about 4 miles from the Buffalo airport in Cheektowaga. Signal would cut outa lot when planes took off or landed.  Sine May, no problem as they were directing planes over Williamsville   as they were paving the main runway.  Since it is done no problem  still.  Can get like 50 OTA stations including sometimes Olean. 

Can't get WBBZ (Channel 67-Me TV. Heroes and Icons, etc.) and substations even i moved the antenna to other side of house.  Found out their transmitter is in Springville and their original signal was closet frequency of Channel 11 in Hamilton, Ont.They have to direct their signal east-west and almost none towards Buffalo.  

Edited by Wacka

I’ve done a lot of antenna stuff for myself and family / friends who cord-cut and went to streamers & OTA for locals.

Pointing between the towers doesn’t do it, especially if it’s labeled as a yagi, that typically have a quite narrow beam, like 2-3*… at least for my much bigger XG91 yagi that I use to pull in Boston at ~58 miles away which is near the maximum for antennas due to earth’s curvature… besides the odd & brief times when tropospheric ducting does weird things.

I like the Antennas Direct db_e series, with the blank being either the 2, 4, or 8 bay “bow-ties”. Great signal strength in every case I used ‘em with a beam of about 15* and a solid build unlike most of the cheapo antennas. In your situation Jack, the db2e would likely be fine. If going to multiple tvs in your place once coax enters the house, use a powered distribution amplifier rather than a splitter which roughly halves your signal strength.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.