New year, same issues with play calling and use of personnel

Alphadawg7

18 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

I thought the only thing Dorsey could have done differently, was put Josh under center more - work a bit more diverse running attack/playaction.  We saw 1x hitting Gabe with this, resulted in a big gain.

Dorsey must have been concerned with the DL getting there on 5 step drops (under center), so he went mostly gun and quicker route concepts.

Honestly, alot of posters here wanted a quick passing game and that was our plan.  Josh didn't execute, plain and simple.  He wasn't seeing the field well at all, held the ball too long, and most costly were the turnovers.

We had guys open, as others pointed out/shared screen shots.  Josh didn't see them/anticipate it.  

1. Dorsey did work a good amount of 12 personell, at least I thought.  It just wasn't under center.  

2. Cook usage/Rbs: hard to run outside against the Jets, with their DL alignment and fast LBs. So you'd say, let's run Harris/Murray more...perhaps, but that takes away another weapon and Jets also know those guys aren't running inside or near the pass catching threats.  Cook got targeted on several passing plays, 1 of which should have been a TD if Josh leads him

IMO, Josh bears the brunt of most blame.  Dorsey, sure he's part of it, OL as well.  I'm sure they'll evaluate what happened.  But Josh ultimately turned it over 4 times, mostly on poor decision making.  Not sure I'd correlate that to Dorsey, but perhaps there's something to be said of getting him more support/someone in his ear on sideline (so as to not let the turnovers compound- 1 or 2 fine, but 4 is not near acceptable)

totally agree- get him under center

1. makes play actions more effective

2. gets josh in a rhythm of x step drop-look-throw (when he is in shotgun he appears to think too much)

3. takes away that stupid qb draw that is gonna get josh hurt

22 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Last night Allen had one of his worst games in a long time.  So this is NOT to shift any responsibility of that from him to anyone else, Allen gets to own that performance, no excuses.  There were times where he was looking good and then all of a sudden this terrible decision happens to undo it all and give the ball away, he just can't do that.

However, I came away just as concerned with Dorsey and his play calling and use of personnel that I was last year.  Just to name a few:

• We go out and sign Harris and Murray then still call draws up the middle by our QB and small sized RB?  
  • Where were all the 2 TE sets to put pressure on the weaker part of the Jets D?  
  • Why are all our WRs running 15 yard deep routes on 3rd and short with only a RB underneath?  
  • Where are the screens to guys like Cook, Harty, Diggs?  
  • Why are we running on 2nd and 15 when we have the number offense over the past 3 years on picking up down and long plays via pass?  
  • Where was the quick strike stuff we opened the game with Diggs on Sauce for the first play and completion?  
  • Why are we still trying to force a run game from unconventional formations that didn't work in the past?  

I am not going to blame Dorsey for Allens poor decisions, those were all on Allen.  But, at the same time, I have not felt like Allen has played as free or instinctively under Dorsey as he did under Daboll.  I think about Mahomes in KC, when you watch the show Quarterback you just get some insight on just how involved Mahomes and the other players are in helping shape the offense and that its completely catered around everything Mahomes does best.  And more importantly, they give Mahomes a ton of options short and underneath with easy throws for RAC which is why he leads the NFL in most yards gained every year on throws near or behind the LOS and he leads by a mile.  

Since Dorsey got here, it feels more like trying to change Allen's instincts and thought process to be something different rather than leaning into what he does best like Daboll did.  I have long been concerned about risking Allen and Diggs prime on an unproven first time OC.  Last year I thought Dorsey was pretty bad in many facets of his job, especially in play calling inside the redzone and his use of personnel.  Week 1, nothing that happened changed those concerns.  Everything I was frustrated about last year in how this offense was run still all seemed present to me.  

Allen needs to be better with the football and stop trying to score on every play, there is no doubt about that.  But I also think our OC isn't doing him any favors either.  There is no way this team can take a step forward if Dorsey doesn't evolve positively from last year.  Week 1 felt like not much had changed, hope that doesn't continue.

This is such a lazy opinion. There were guys wide open short of the sticks on almost every play. Allen chose not to take the easy yards. This loss is 100% on him. That 2nd and 15 play aside, the playcalling was not the issue. Dorsey isn't Andy Reid or Mike McDaniel, but he's a pretty good play designer.

Facts do your opinion no good, but the Dorsey led offense has not taken a step back statistically. And this is with a weaker o-line and receiver group.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Last night Allen had one of his worst games in a long time.  So this is NOT to shift any responsibility of that from him to anyone else, Allen gets to own that performance, no excuses.  There were times where he was looking good and then all of a sudden this terrible decision happens to undo it all and give the ball away, he just can't do that.

However, I came away just as concerned with Dorsey and his play calling and use of personnel that I was last year.  Just to name a few:

• We go out and sign Harris and Murray then still call draws up the middle by our QB and small sized RB?  
  • Where were all the 2 TE sets to put pressure on the weaker part of the Jets D?  
  • Why are all our WRs running 15 yard deep routes on 3rd and short with only a RB underneath?  
  • Where are the screens to guys like Cook, Harty, Diggs?  
  • Why are we running on 2nd and 15 when we have the number offense over the past 3 years on picking up down and long plays via pass?  
  • Where was the quick strike stuff we opened the game with Diggs on Sauce for the first play and completion?  
  • Why are we still trying to force a run game from unconventional formations that didn't work in the past?  

I am not going to blame Dorsey for Allens poor decisions, those were all on Allen.  But, at the same time, I have not felt like Allen has played as free or instinctively under Dorsey as he did under Daboll.  I think about Mahomes in KC, when you watch the show Quarterback you just get some insight on just how involved Mahomes and the other players are in helping shape the offense and that its completely catered around everything Mahomes does best.  And more importantly, they give Mahomes a ton of options short and underneath with easy throws for RAC which is why he leads the NFL in most yards gained every year on throws near or behind the LOS and he leads by a mile.  

Since Dorsey got here, it feels more like trying to change Allen's instincts and thought process to be something different rather than leaning into what he does best like Daboll did.  I have long been concerned about risking Allen and Diggs prime on an unproven first time OC.  Last year I thought Dorsey was pretty bad in many facets of his job, especially in play calling inside the redzone and his use of personnel.  Week 1, nothing that happened changed those concerns.  Everything I was frustrated about last year in how this offense was run still all seemed present to me.  

Allen needs to be better with the football and stop trying to score on every play, there is no doubt about that.  But I also think our OC isn't doing him any favors either.  There is no way this team can take a step forward if Dorsey doesn't evolve positively from last year.  Week 1 felt like not much had changed, hope that doesn't continue.

As Josh said in his post game presser:

"Same ol Sh%t, different day"

Says is all to me. He does NOT believe in Dorsey.

Yea well. I expected they would be able to run inside. They consistently get light boxes. 2 safeties way back. And the result is exactly the same. On any given offensive plays an OL loses badly. 

and the offense as a whole looks exactly the same. The have 1 good play. Then 2 negative plays. Or 2 good plays then 1 negative play. Herky jerky. No rhythm.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.