Not all penalty calls are created equal

Chaos

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

The OPI call was laughable in that spot. 

False starts are presnap so not much to do. The leg whip wouldn’t have mattered.

Re the PF leg whip: The ball would have gone back 15 yards to the 42, so it MIGHT have mattered had the Bills D made a stand, or a fumble, or a sack, or an interception. 😉

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

I emphasided the word "helped" in the OP, because it definitely was not the prime reason.  Thank you for having the reading comprehension skills to understand the difference.  Many posters do not have strong reading comprehension skills.

I agree for 96% of the plays, the officiating was good. But as any Saints fan can tell you, it only takes one bad mistake to alter the game.  I think the PI  call did likely alter the game. 

I think it’s pretty unlikely to alter the game if the OPI is not called.

Bills simply make a shorter field goal to send it in overtime. The way that game was going it didn’t feel like we were going to get the ball in the end zone. definitely not from 20+ yards out. Every pass Allen threw deep was a disaster  waiting to happen. definitely not from 20+ yards out.

I don’t think the bills were getting inside the 15 - 20 yard line with the amount of time left.

OPI was a good call. He extended his arms and the DB fell down. Yes many times it is a no call but that doesn't make those non calls right either.

The missed leg whip while technically a penalty and should have been called, is one of those penalties like inadvertent face mask. It had no impact on the play as the runner was already past him and whoever it was that got tripped was already falling down and it was not intentional.

Bills had a holding penalty on a run picked up and called no flag. I've never seen that before. 

It was a well officiated game. 

There were a few after the whistle moments from Brown that could have been called unsportsmanlike conduct. 

And the taunting penalty was a good call too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.