Oliver Anthony - Rich Men North Of Richmond

5 minutes ago, dickleyjones said:

he may have overshared but you still really don't know much about him. not enough to draw much of a conclusion about how his life brought him to write this song.  it seems to me he is genuine at least.

the sentiment resonates. plenty of people feel the same way about welfare - that there are cheaters. it's actually a rather basic, obvious view. there isn't much to dissect.

Therefore you're against cheaters.  Are you for trump?

• Eyeroll 1

These are the lyrics with a solution.  when will they ever learn?  When will they everrr learn?

[Verse 1]
If you're selling your soul, working all day
Overtime hours for bull#### pay
Well, nothing's gonna change if all you do
Is wish you could wake up and it not be true

[Chorus]
Join a union
Fight for better pay
You better join a union, brother
Organise today
You'll see where the problem really lies
When the union comes around
Rich men earning north of a million
Wanna keep the working folk down
Wanna keep the working folk down

[Verse 2]
If you form a union, you'll soon find
That working people are all of one kind
So we ain't gonna punch down on those who need
A bit of understanding and some solidarity
That ain't right friend

[Verse 3]
If you're struggling with your health and you're putting on the pounds
Doctor gives you opiates to help you get around
Well, wouldn't it be better for folks like you and me
If medicine was subsidised and healthcare was free?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Yes.

The difference is Woody and Dylan and all the great folk singers never punched down, making other downtrodden people the object of their scorn.

Complaining about DC elites as they line their pockets = punching down. Awesome!

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Well, because it is...Is he doing a show in Durham?  I'm sure he'll line ones up for Asheville and Charlottesville, too.

and Durham is what?

Durham is a city in North Carolina. It's part of the Research Triangle Region, known for its technology companies and scholarly institutions. On the Duke University campus are the neo-Gothic Duke Chapel and the Nasher Museum of Art, with work by contemporary artists like Christian Marclay and Ai Weiwei. The Museum of Life + Science has hands-on exhibits, a butterfly house and wildlife habitats for bears and lemurs

Durham is the most ethnically diverse of the major communities in the state, with roughly a 50/50 split between white residents and residents who are African American, Hispanic/Latino, Asian, Native American or other people of color.

Edited by Chris farley

Just now, Joe Ferguson forever said:

if he does a show there, I'll eat my fishing hat complete with flies...

So now its he won't do a show where its diverse?  when you started by saying he was doing a show in Durham.

the other cities you mentioned are not even in North Carolina.

you're trying to hard to push your racial division where it doesn't exist.

27 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

So now its he won't do a show where its diverse?  when you started by saying he was doing a show in Durham.

the other cities you mentioned are not even in North Carolina.

you're trying to hard to push your racial division where it doesn't exist.

Lord you're stooo- pid.  Asheville is in NC.  Quite possibly the most beautiful city in the state.  And largely blue.  Characteristics it shares with Charlottesville.  Which is in Va which is where the songwriter is from.  He won't be playing shows there as that's not who he's speaking to or who is buying his crap.

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

So just welfare cheaters.  Not white collar criminals....

If i had to choose, i would definitely be against white collar cheating more than welfare cheating.

But my post wasn't about me, it was about the reality for others who the song is speaking to.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Lord you're stooo- pid.  Asheville is in NC.  Quite possibly the most beautiful city in the state.  And largely blue.  Characteristic it shares with Charlottesville.  Which is in Va which is where the songwriter is from.  He won't be playing shows there as that's not who he's speaking to or who is buying his crap.

Yes, Ashville/Charlotteville are not very diverse. is that why you like them so?

last I knew he only played some farmers fair and opened it up by reading the bible.

what is he selling and to who?