Training Camp 7/31 9:45 AM - Full pads this week

Lost

11 hours ago, Patrick Duffy said:

I'm not sure I'd stretch it quite that far, I mean there's really nothing much to base off of either way good or bad this early in TC just first day in pads. Some reports from the padded practice made it seem as if he was struggling quite a bit.

But anyways, you're right regarding last year and his injuries, which had an affect also in Kromer not having the amount of time with him that he needed. He will get that time this time around as long as there's no more set backs. So hopefully it will make a difference

Are unpadded practices less indicative? Yeah, fair enough, very fair.

But there really have been a bunch of folks saying that in those unpadded practices he's been very good. 

You're right that people also are now saying that in that first padded day he had some problems. All reports are worth listening to. It's a little early to know what's happening consistently and what's exceptional. But there have been a bunch of good reports, particularly from Cover1 but a bunch of others as well. But yeah, the bad ones also count. Just that up till I wrote that , things had been really positive.

And yeah, hopefully it will make a difference. We didn't get an apparent guy to take over if he has problems, so it'll be really important if he does well. Or doesn't, really.

14 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I hope you are right, but compare Bernard to The rookie Dorian Williams who is listed at 228ish.  Williams looks quite a lot more muscular than does Bernard.  Now, I know speed, instincts and intelligence to know assignments also matter, so maybe Bernard makes it up there?

Again, I WANT to be wrong about Bernard.

I want you to be wrong too. I'm not convinced you are yet, but there's absolutely a chance. He's not too small. But is he good enough?

And that some guys look more muscular doesn't mean they are. It can be bone structure, genes, skin tightness, whatever.

Williams didn't do the bench press at the combine, but Bernard did. He was 7th best of all LBs that year, with 22 reps. That's strong, strong enough.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I want you to be wrong too. I'm not convinced you are yet, but there's absolutely a chance. He's not too small.

And that some guys look more muscular doesn't mean they are. It can be bone structure, genes, skin tightness, whatever.

Williams didn't do the bench press at the combine, but Bernard did. He was 7th best of all LBs, with 22 reps. That's damn strong.

I think the other thing that’s going on here as we have some bias, even though it’s unintentional

We are used to seeing Tremaine Edmunds out there at the middle linebacker position. The guy is freakishly large.

This year we’re running with smaller linebackers, and it shows but the only thing that really matters is the production on the field

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I want you to be wrong too. I'm not convinced you are yet, but there's absolutely a chance. He's not too small.

Williams didn't do the bench press at the combine, but Bernard did. He was 7th best of all LBs, with 22 reps. That's damn strong.

fast twitch versus slow twitch build is a possible explanation to this. not saying it is, but possible

fighters tend to have this type of build, where they look wirey and have crazy strength. bulk isnt your friend in fight world, these guys know how to stay slim and strong

3 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

fast twitch versus slow twitch build is a possible explanation to this. not saying it is, but possible

fighters tend to have this type of build, where they look wirey and have crazy strength. bulk isnt your friend in fight world, these guys know how to stay slim and strong

Yeah, this makes sense as a possibility.

And John from Riverside also has a good point there. It looks different indeed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.