need advice about a career change!!!!!

I am currently a high school teacher in Clearwater, Florida. I have been teaching for the last 12 years and i am thinking about a change. I am at a great school and everything about my job is top notch, except the pay. I recently started selling cars parttime for Carmax. In my first month, I made almost 2k. I can't help but think about the idea of possibly switching careers. I do not know which product I would like to sell or how would you even get involved in finding that out. :rolleyes:

I have several questions I need answered. Where would you seek out good sales jobs?? Does my limited experience selling used cars really help me?? Any information or plain wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Doug in Clearwater,Florida

I don't know what you take home as a teacher, probably nowhere near enough, but that seems like such a cake job to me I don't know why anyone would leave it. Think about it you never have to work a weekend, holiday, or summer. It might not be the best pay in the world, but it certainly leaves you some extra time to go and hustle up some pocket money in your down time.

I don't know what you take home as a teacher, probably nowhere near enough, but that seems like such a cake job to me I don't know why anyone would leave it.  Think about it you never have to work a weekend, holiday, or summer.  It might not be the best pay in the world, but it certainly leaves you some extra time to go and hustle up some pocket money in your down time.

348576[/snapback]

I would disagree, i think if someone has a passion for teaching and educating others i would imagine it is very time consuming. I mean think of how hard it is to get your own teenagers to listen to you (if you have teenagers) then try and get a group of 20 or so of them to listen to you about a topic that they may have no interest in. I really think teaching is a lot harder than it looks (if you do it well of course -- i also know teachers that stay just a day ahead of their students and don't spend any time in preperation). That being said, Car sales could be interesting... are you looking at relocating with this career change, because i would say you can make a nice living doing pharamaceutical sales.

I don't know what you take home as a teacher, probably nowhere near enough, but that seems like such a cake job to me I don't know why anyone would leave it.  Think about it you never have to work a weekend, holiday, or summer.  It might not be the best pay in the world, but it certainly leaves you some extra time to go and hustle up some pocket money in your down time.

348576[/snapback]

you have to grade homework, make up schedules and test for each and every day.........wow......u never work ..........hm

348576[/snapback]

Its people like you that the US education system needs less of.

Its people like you that the US education system needs less of.

348595[/snapback]

In all seriousness you need to loosen up a little bit. Did it really warrant a personal attack? I was just having a little fun with the situation and telling him that while the job probably isn't as financially rewarding as it needs to be it provides him with certain other opportunities that others won't.

you have to grade homework, make up schedules and test for each and every day.........wow......u never work ..........hm

Look I'm not looking to turn this into a debate on how much work teachers do versus other professions. They do indeed do all of those things that you mentioned. However, a lot of them also get time during the day in which to complete these tasks. I'm sure that the time alloted isn't always adequate and they have to bring work home, but the same can be said for a lot of jobs.

In all seriousness you need to loosen up a little bit.  Did it really warrant a personal attack?  I was just having a little fun with the situation and telling him that while the job probably isn't as financially rewarding as it needs to be it provides him with certain other opportunities that others won't.

Look I'm not looking to turn this into a debate on how much work teachers do versus other professions. They do indeed do all of those things that you mentioned. However, a lot of them also get time during the day in which to complete these tasks. I'm sure that the time alloted isn't always adequate and they have to bring work home, but the same can be said for a lot of jobs.

348601[/snapback]

You need thicker skin, as well as smilies if you are having "fun". :rolleyes:

348576[/snapback]

My wife is a teacher and the beneficiary of teacher's unions raping local taxpayers for years. Personally, I don't have a problem having some of the ridiculous amount of taxes we pay come back into our pockets. She makes upwards of 60k, full health, and a pension that is guaranteed. We're not even talking about how even if she was a poor teacher, she could never get fired because of tenure rules. Never works a weekend, never works a summer, never works a holiday. How many regular working joes get that?

Teachers take home plenty and are well rewarded for the important jobs they do. You have to look at the whole package, not just upfront salary (which in many places is VERY good).

80% of our local property taxes go to the Education budget, 20% municipal.

80% of the Education budget goes directy to teacher benefits and wages.

Think about that.

RTB

Yep. Someone here said Pharmacueticals. Agree. Several coworkers have bailed to pharma sales and are making bucks. BTW... you don't need a med degree or anything like that, they do all the training.

What you would need to do is build up your sales background before sitting with the pharma head hunter. Keep on working at Car Max (that will also see if your 2K month was a freak incident). Do the 05/06 school year as a teacher, then start looking.

A friend of mine went into pharma sales to veterinarians... all he had going in was an on-line AAS in Mgt. They trained him, and he's doing well.

Money, of course, isn't everything (and you know this already, or you wouldn't be a teacher).

Just consider this:

The one profession gives you the opportunity to change hearts and minds, to help children learn both intellectually and morally. These children, positively affected, will become good persons in their own lives, affecting others in a positive way. The good you can do here is immeasurable. Your work is meaningful, and others respect you for it. Hell, it is our kids that you are teaching.

The other profession gives you the chance to sell cars to people. And make money.

Remember why you went into teaching in the first place.

My wife is a teacher and the beneficiary of teacher's unions raping local taxpayers for years. Personally, I don't have a problem having some of the ridiculous amount of taxes we pay come back into our pockets. She makes upwards of 60k, full health, and a pension that is guaranteed. We're not even talking about how even if she was a poor teacher, she could never get fired because of tenure rules. Never works a weekend, never works a summer, never works a holiday. How many regular working joes get that?

Teachers take home plenty and are well rewarded for the important jobs they do. You have to look at the whole package, not just upfront salary (which in many places is VERY good).

80% of our local property taxes go to the Education budget, 20% municipal.

80% of the Education budget goes directy to teacher benefits and wages.

Think about that.

RTB

348638[/snapback]

unfortunately the job is in Florida where the teacher's unions weren't very successful. Teacher's here get paid squat

You need thicker skin, as well as smilies if you are having "fun".  :D

348602[/snapback]

First of all I rarely use "smilies" I can't stand them. Second of all I might have thin skin in this instance, but your reply really seemed dickish to me. Oh well.

Ahh, depends what you are looking for in a sales job. CarMax is quite a differant animal than most sales jobs.If you want to saty in the car game, there is some money to be made there, but expect to work 60-70 hrs a week.

Hate to say this but your age will have a lot to do with what sort of sales job you could obtain. I have been in hi-tech sales for twenty years, if you are over 30 most likely not going to look at you for any kind of entry level sales job.Having said that, most sales organiztions look favorably on a background in teaching.

My advice would be look to sell something where you have experience. Maybe selling textbooks to the school systems in FLA, or to colleges in the area. Altenatively, look at some of the local Tech training places to see if they need recruiters. These are the types of schools that give certifactions like MSCE and such.These positions can be very lucrative if you can land the right corporate accounts. However, they can always be pretty sleazy if they only target low income people and load them up with student loans.

Ever think about what other areas (other than sales) that could use your people skills. Corporate trainer is one that comes to mind quickly. Expand the focus and look beyond the logical.

Unfortunately, I am having to do such (recently unemployed).

In all seriousness you need to loosen up a little bit.  Did it really warrant a personal attack?  I was just having a little fun with the situation and telling him that while the job probably isn't as financially rewarding as it needs to be it provides him with certain other opportunities that others won't.

348601[/snapback]

Pay no attention to bluefire. He's got about as much real-life experience as the boy in the bubble.

I am currently a high school teacher in Clearwater, Florida. I have been teaching for the last 12 years and i am thinking about a change. I am at a great school and everything about my job is top notch, except the pay. I recently started selling cars parttime for Carmax. In my first month, I made almost 2k. I can't help but think about the idea of possibly switching careers. I do not know which product I would like to sell or how would you even get involved in finding that out. :D

I have several questions I need answered. Where would you seek out good sales jobs?? Does my limited experience selling used cars really help me?? Any information or plain wisdom would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks Doug in Clearwater,Florida

348566[/snapback]

Sounds awesome, man....2k a month part-time? I didn't know dealerships hired part-time sales-people. I'm tempted.

Simply being good at sales isn't enough to get you a decent sales job unless you consider selling AFLAC door-to-door a decent sales job.

If I were you, I'd start using your background to your advantage and check out Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, just around the corner from Sea World. With your background, you could maybe be a very good salesperson of school textbooks, and they will ultimately have great benefits...unlike selling Chevy's at Billy's Moonlight Madness Labor Day Weekend Extravaganza.

As an aside: if you're doing it for the money, then take time to rethink the situation. Leaving a job you've had for 12 years...a job you admit that you enjoy...for the sake of more money in a field for which you have no experience generally has much more downside than upside. More money is great, until you hate your job. Then more money becomes completely irrelevant.