Should Frank Reich make the Wall of Fame?

Yes the Wild card game was a great game for him, but this was against a Houston Defense that shut down and thought they had won, all Frank did was see open receivers all throughout the 2nd half...

Frank played in Super Bowl XXVII when Kelly went down and his true colors were shown against a Cowboys Defense that was not going to lose...

I don't think he should be on the wall of Fame...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes the Wild card game was a great game for him, but this was against a Houston Defense that shut down and thought they had won, all Frank did was see open receivers all throughout the 2nd half...

Frank played in Super Bowl XXVII when Kelly went down and his true colors were shown against a Cowboys Defense that was not going to lose...

I don't think he should be on the wall of Fame...

348676[/snapback]

Sorry - but that's a crap reply. Go back and look at the game film - especially the two zingers to Andre Reed for touchdowns.

I was watching a Dodgers baseball game the other night, and the game was played in LA. The Dodgers have a wall with imprints of some of the franchise's most historic individuals, honoring them much in the same way that the Bills honor key figures with the Ring of Honor.

One interesting inclusion on that wall in LA is none other than Kirk Gibson. Gibson spent the vast majority of his career with the Tigers -- and only played a couple of mostly injury-riddled seasons for the Dodgers. So how is he deserving of such an honor for such a historic franchise? Well, everyone remembers that game winning homerun that Gibson hit off Eckersely with two outs in the 9th inning in the World Series, as he hobbled to the plate. That incident was one of the most memorable in Dodgers (and all of baseball) history.

I think we can view Reich in the same light. Even if you discount everything else he did, Reich will ALWAYS be remembered for his performance in the Comeback Game against Houston. It was a mythical, fairy tale performance that always brings tears to my eyes everytime I see a recast. (And unfortunately led me to believe that the Bills were a team of destiny that year heading into the Super Bowl.)

I'd say he's a worthy addition to the Wall of Fame.

As much as I like Reich and what he did for the Bills, not necessarily accomplishments, but attitude and everything, there are plenty of other players that deserve to be up there before him.

I'm not sure he deserves to be on the Wall but I would not complain if he was.

It wasn't like he played just that one game. He led an incredible comeback against the Rams on MNF in 1989 not once but twice in the last two minutes -- after he led what appeared to be the game-winning TD drive, Everett hit Flipper Anderson with something like an 80-yard TD pass to put the Rams ahead, and Frank calmly led the Bills back down the field for the winning TD with something like 16 seconds left.

He also won playoff games against the Dolphins in 1991 and the Steelers (in Pittsburgh) in 1993 with Kelly on the shelf. A very good case can be made for saying that the Bills wouldn't even have gone to TWO straight Super Bowls had Reich not been around. If we'd had a pedestrian backup in 1990 and 1992, we might have only gone to SBs XXVI and XXVIII.

I think there is also something to be said for what a pure class act he was. As well as he played in his limited engagements and as popular as he was with the fans (remember that infamous D&C poll?), he never said anything other than "I'm just keeping the seat warm for Jim," and he never once intimated a desire to go elsewhere a la the Scott Mitchells of the world.

It wasn't like he played just that one game.  He led an incredible comeback against the Rams on MNF in 1989 not once but twice in the last two minutes -- after he led what appeared to be the game-winning TD drive, Everett hit Flipper Anderson with something like an 80-yard TD pass to put the Rams ahead, and Frank calmly led the Bills back down the field for the winning TD with something like 16 seconds left.

He also won playoff games against the Dolphins in 1991 and the Steelers (in Pittsburgh) in 1993 with Kelly on the shelf.  A very good case can be made for saying that the Bills wouldn't even have gone to TWO straight Super Bowls had Reich not been around.  If we'd had a pedestrian backup in 1990 and 1992, we might have only gone to SBs XXVI and XXVIII.

348822[/snapback]

Remember in 89 the Bills were 3-2 and just lost to the Colts when Kelly was injured and started the Bickering Bills. Jim came out in the press and singled out House Ballard for not picking up a blitzer and his injury. Frank came in and won that MNF game against a very good Rams team (they played in the NFC championship game). An interesting side note - Frank hit his passing hand and jammed a finger on Kevin Greene's helmet in the first quarter. His finger swelled and made throwing difficult. He was really off on his throws and the crowd got on him. He never complained and kept pressing on and won the game.

Do you think Frank Reich should eventually be enshrined into the Bills Wall of Fame? He played a huge part in the franchise making it to 4 straight Superbowls.

Who else from the early 90's squad do think will eventually make the Wall, other than the obvious team leaders?

Cornelius?

Kelso?

Henry Jones?

Phil Hanson?

Beebe?

Fina?

348497[/snapback]

I'd rather see Bill Polian, Ted Marchibroda, Jerry Butler and possibly Joe Devlin or Chuck Knox than any of those besides Hanson. Bennett never lived up to his potential while in Buffalo. Beebe did live up to his potential and I'd want him on my team, but he was never a goto WR. He was the guy who some defenses forgot about. Hansen is similar to Beebe in that he was never the guy the opposing DC game planned for, and he took advantage of that. Kelso was a guy people always wanted replaced, Jones never could cover or tackle the better tight ends, and Fina wasn't ever dominant.

I know there are guys more deserving earlier than 1980, but, I never really saw them.

Do you think Frank Reich should eventually be enshrined into the Bills Wall of Fame? He played a huge part in the franchise making it to 4 straight Superbowls.

Who else from the early 90's squad do think will eventually make the Wall, other than the obvious team leaders?

Cornelius?

Kelso?

Henry Jones?

Phil Hanson?

Beebe?

Fina?

348497[/snapback]

No.

And no one from your list should be on the wall. The only guy that is debatable is Bennett.

He also won playoff games against the Dolphins in 1991 and the Steelers (in Pittsburgh) in 1993 with Kelly on the shelf.  A very good case can be made for saying that the Bills wouldn't even have gone to TWO straight Super Bowls had Reich not been around.  If we'd had a pedestrian backup in 1990 and 1992, we might have only gone to SBs XXVI and XXVIII.

348822[/snapback]

Unless pro football reference is wrong, the only 2 playoff games that Reich played a significant role in were against Houston and Pittsburgh....no game against Miami? :D

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/ReicFr00.htm

I was watching a Dodgers baseball game the other night, and the game was played in LA. The Dodgers have a wall with imprints of some of the franchise's most historic individuals, honoring them much in the same way that the Bills honor key figures with the Ring of Honor.

One interesting inclusion on that wall in LA is none other than Kirk Gibson. Gibson spent the vast majority of his career with the Tigers -- and only played a couple of mostly injury-riddled seasons for the Dodgers. So how is he deserving of such an honor for such a historic franchise? Well, everyone remembers that game winning homerun that Gibson hit off Eckersely with two outs in the 9th inning in the World Series, as he hobbled to the plate. That incident was one of the most memorable in Dodgers (and all of baseball) history.

I think we can view Reich in the same light. Even if you discount everything else he did, Reich will ALWAYS be remembered for his performance in the Comeback Game against Houston. It was a mythical, fairy tale performance that always brings tears to my eyes everytime I see a recast. (And unfortunately led me to believe that the Bills were a team of destiny that year heading into the Super Bowl.)

I'd say he's a worthy addition to the Wall of Fame.

348811[/snapback]

Sorry, Gibson was pretty much the team captain and spiritual leader when he was in LA. He won the MVP in his only full season there. Frank Reich has as much business on the Wall as Kenny Davis (who was actually a more valuable player).

Unless pro football reference is wrong, the only 2 playoff games that Reich played a significant role in were against Houston and Pittsburgh....no game against Miami? :D

348890[/snapback]

Kelly played the AFC Championship game. I affectionately call it "The Screen Game" because we absolutely shredded the Fish with them the entire game (especially to KD). It was also the basis for beating them in the playoffs the following year with a ton of end arounds and wrinkles off screen looks. Shula's last game and the vexed look on Olividatti's face was awesome.

He also won playoff games against the Dolphins in 1991 and the Steelers (in Pittsburgh) in 1993 with Kelly on the shelf.

348822[/snapback]

I believe the Dolphins game you're thinking of took place in 1990. It wasn't a playoff game, but it was close. The winner of the game would be clinch the division title. It was a week after Kelly got hurt on the road against the Giants. Reich led Buffalo to a 24-14 win I believe...

Thanks in part to Ray Charles and Diet Pepsi, "You Got the Reich One Baby" became a pretty popular catchphrase around this time.

We're gonna run out of room on our wall!  :D

348881[/snapback]

I noticed last year that they removed the AFL/AFC Championship plaques from the wall above the tunnel (where the 12th man is currently honored). I would think future Wall of Famers will go up on that side, because it's just about filled up under the scoreboard.

348890[/snapback]

No, it was for the AFC East Championship on 12/23/1990. That game was won by Thurman and defense.

Cookie Gilcrist and Lou Saban both belong but as long as Mr. Wilson is responsible for the final seal of approval, I doubt either will go.

As for Riech. I do not think he deserves to be there. Career back up with Historic come back and a handful of other "Nice" games. (Monday night game against the Rams was awesome...but only for the final 5 minutes.)