Lockport caves boat accident leaves one person dead

BuffaloBill

3 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Lockport Caves Accident - One person dead

I have been on this tour and can’t understand how it happened.  It is a flat bottomed boat in calm water that moves very slowly.  I don’t recall the boat even rocking much less flipping over.

Incident remains under investigation.

Yeah... I never heard of it. What is this actually, an old part of the Erie Canal that has a tunnel section? What does it pass under?  Is it like going into a mine and then coming back out same way or does it go straight through?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Yes very odd.  Been on the "Sam Patch" out of Pittsford/Schoen Place several times but not this one.

In England on the canals there's tunnels all over. Interesting, it was too expensive to bore bigger tunnels with towpaths, so... They had to have people "leg" the boat through a tunnel.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legging_(canals)

"...Early canal tunnels were built without a towpath as this would require a much larger bore, and hence cost more to build. Prior to the introduction of motorised boats, legging was one of the few options for getting a boat through such a tunnel.

Two people were required. They would lie on a plank across the bows of the boat, and holding the plank with their hands, would propel the boat with their feet against the tunnel wall. This was quite a dangerous activity and resulted in many deaths.  ..."

Anyway... I just read up on the Lockport cave. It's one-way in, one-way out. I guess the boat flipped when they made the transition 180° out.  I guess the cave was cut early on to supply water to businesses in town.

I bet people panicked and all rushed to one side?  ??

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

16 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

In England on the canals there's tunnels all over. Interesting, it was too expensive to bore bigger tunnels with towpaths, so... They had to have people "leg" the boat through a tunnel.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legging_(canals)

"...Early canal tunnels were built without a towpath as this would require a much larger bore, and hence cost more to build. Prior to the introduction of motorised boats, legging was one of the few options for getting a boat through such a tunnel.

Two people were required. They would lie on a plank across the bows of the boat, and holding the plank with their hands, would propel the boat with their feet against the tunnel wall. This was quite a dangerous activity and resulted in many deaths.  ..."

Anyway... I just read up on the Lockport cave. It's one-way in, one-way out. I guess the boat flipped when they made the transition 180° out.  I guess the cave was cut early on to supply water to businesses in town.

I bet people panicked and all rushed to one side?  ??

I was on it a year or two ago.  When they reach the "turn around" point, they have everyone turn around on the benches, one bench at a time.  My guess, someone stood to turn and lost their balance.  

You can get some glimpses of the boat in the second half of this video

Here's a pic I found on their website

cave-boat-nytimes.jpg

Edited by Just Jack
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

I was on it a year or two ago.  When they reach the "turn around" point, they have everyone turn around on the benches, one bench at a time.  My guess, someone stood to turn and lost their balance.  

You can get some glimpses of the boat in the second half of this video

Here's a pic I found on their website

cave-boat-nytimes.jpg

Yeah... That's what I was trying to figure out. Someone panic?? It is pretty tight. Hate to have a person freak and get claustrophobic at the transition point! 😒 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.